For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
skysi51's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 2:10 AM

Wi-Fi range extender for U-Verse Internet

I have U-Verse services and while the wi-fi connection with the current gateway is pretty good in the same room, it's pretty lousy in the basement of my house. It's half of the spped I have upstares or even less sometimes. I've looked for extenders on amazon and came accross a couple highly rated ones. I'm just looking for those who are using extenders and could give me an advice based on their experience. Thanks!

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @skysi51,

Here is some helpful information from other users.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks, but how does this address my question. I do not have or use Motorola NVG510

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

If you wanted a reply specific to the NVG 510, then you should have stated that you have an NVG 510 in your post.  The majority of us aren't mind readers.  And, well, the RG's are a lot alike, suggestions for one often apply to the others (though you're right that wireless interoperation is a place where they do not all work the same).

I normally discourage using range extenders unless there's no other solution.  My suggestion is normally to use a consumer grade Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router configured as an access point.  To do this you need to be able to run an Ethernet cable from the RG to a place more central in your home.  See post 13 in this thread for some guidance on setting this up.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @skysi51,

I apologize about that. It is a very long post, but one thing it does is cover wireless range extenders. Usually, most extenders are compatible with any router. In the post, it starts off with someone having the NVG510, but then there are several posts about others that have a 2wire. 

-David T

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have the recommended Dlink dap-1320...trying all morning to get it connected.  No luck - pushing the small square button on the bottom front of the att router - that has little radio wave looking things on it.  Dlink starts flashing green like it's searching after I push the arrow button on the side....it does that for quite a while then goes to amber - which means it didn't connect.  I thought this was supposed to be any easy connection process as it says on the ATT website.  Tried to get answers on chat and phone but connecttech cost money - any tips from the community?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Jeff, in my last message I said I do not have or use Motorola 🙂 Thanks for the wireless router suggestion, but in my case this is not an option.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

#ATTemployee - ran into same issue with U-verse Internet WIFI, the coverage dropped off at the fartherst point of house.  U-verse WIFI router is Arris NVG589.  Purchased Netgear WN2500RP, refurbished off Amazon for $45.  Enabled WPS and had it running in under five minutes.  WIFI coverage now >10Mb throughout house.  No guarantee but worked very well & easily for me.  Good luck

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

cyberwife - Sounds like WPS is not enabled on your RG.

Go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 and enable WPS.

You can push the button from that page, too. It will ask for the password found on the RG label. Not the Wi-fi password. The GUI password.

Former Employee

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Try to change the wifi channels in the Gateway 1st. There will be a sticker on the Gateway with the device access info and code. Avoid channels 1 and 11. If that doesn't work try this. Netgear Wifi range extender WN3000RP. http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990047&q_sku=sku7330424&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

"Avoid channels 1 and 11"  ???  Why is this even a suggestion?  The channels that make up the standard WIFI have overlap from one to the next except Channel 1, 6, and 11.  Ideally you would WANT to use one of those as long as there aren't neighbors also using those same channels.  It just didn't sound right.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.