tastyhuman7's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, December 5th, 2012 7:58 PM

Why is ATT still using a useless wifi standard?

Uverse standard routers are the .11g specification.  This was developed in 1995.  The .11n was developed in 2003 and revamped in 2007.  Why does ATT only provide the outdated spec.   and  charge you a monthly rental fee for it!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If you want "N" you could always get one of these or any other of your choosing.  The 2 wire RG is what it is.  AT&T is using "N" for communication to the wireless STB's though but it is a seperate wireless router just for that.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

As for Wireless-N, and gig LAN ports, there is no need for them until the inbound connection exceeds the current standards that is being used for ADSL2+/VDSL.

Most people assume that if they had wireless N it would increase their download speed for the internet which is completely false.  The only difference wireless N would be is in transferring files from one computer in a network to another. For 99% of the wireless users out there, wireless G is plenty fast enough. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, they told me less than a week ago that there are absolutely no residiential gateways for Uverse with wireless N avaialble ; However they are available for DSL only customers.

Last time I connected a seprate wireless router to the gateway, the gateway decided to screw with the traffic.

It would be great if 2wire (Pace) was kicked out for something from Cisco -- after all AT&T already uses them for the boxes.  Would love to see a Cisco Linksys Residential Gateway for AT&T.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Theree is nothing non standard about the Wifi and Lan connections they are using. Where ever you pulled this ball of tales from makes me curious, or are you just wanting to stir the pot.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

No you wouldn't want to. Pace is the leader in the modem/iNid market, Cisco/Sa is the leader in settop boxes for IPTV.

Where some of you get some of these ideas that the engineers ar Pace and Cisco have already done the homework, they know that the technology works.

As for Wireless-N, and gig LAN ports, there is no need for them until the inbound connection exceeds the current standards that is being used for ADSL2+/VDSL.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I guess then we should also still use the Ford model T car. Basically you're saying don't use something ten times better, and use something old and lame.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I was aware that this is 4 years old, but I was wondering if u verse changed its wireless speeds so I looked it up on google. You did not say, but I found this forum. I see this guy talking crap to the person who posted this and I just had to say something. The only thing that is mentioned is your download speed. You don't compete very well with other ISPs but I guess you try.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.