For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
tji21's profile

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 5:48 AM

What to expect when being changed from iNid to NVG589???

What should one expect when a tech comes to change setup from iNid (External box on house + internal box inside house with battery unit) ?

Do they normally keep the iNid outside, bypass it in some way, and then install the NVG589 inside the house?  Also, I have coax distributing to all my STB boxes so how might that be rewired?

Thanks

Former Employee

• 

422 Messages

10 years ago

@tji21 wrote:

What should one expect when a tech comes to change setup from iNid (External box on house + internal box inside house with battery unit) ?

Do they normally keep the iNid outside, bypass it in some way, and then install the NVG589 inside the house?  Also, I have coax distributing to all my STB boxes so how might that be rewired?

Thanks

iNID has been discontinued, NVG589 is the replacement and to be honest,10 times stable.

The iNID will be removed and will be run off the NID on your home, the coax will still be able to be hooked up just will be wired to the NVG589 instead.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

Does the following picture I made depict what I should expect based on your explanation?

iNid to NVG589.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

The only think I'm missing from your picture would be the dedicated Cat5e run from the NID that replaces the iNID to your NVG 589.  The two pair will be run in that cable.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

So they would replace the iNid they installed on the outside of our house with a different model?

Why would they need to change from coax to cat5 for all the tv run's (is there something negative about the original coax implementation?

I currently have 3 tv's using coax off the holland splitter & 1 wireless stb.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Coax distribution vs. Ethernet or 802.11n 5.0 GHz wireless to Set Tops is Installer's option.  Good coax works well, but it can be the source of strange communication problems.  I rewired my DVR to Ethernet and cured a lot of headaches in my home.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks... At the time of the original install I had homerun'd new 2-coax & 2-cat5e to each room.   The installer elected to use the coax at each of the 3 locations.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

I'm still trying to understand why move from dedicated coax to cat5 for existing STBs.

I currently have a Leviton Structured media center that houses all the wiring homerun'd, ATT router, ATT wireless unit for single wireless stb, and Ooma hub.

2 coax & 2 cat5e run from my SMC to the existing iNID on the side of the house.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

The signal running over the Coax is TCP/IP over HPNA.  When it works, it works fine.  However, in a lot of cases, coax just isn't as, um, robust, as the Cat 5 alternative.  It has made AT&T look towards making twisted pair the standard to reduce return visits.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

What is the best way to get a senior Prem tech to assess my situation and make the best recommendation to resolve our connection challenges?

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks... Contacted Uverse, they did a line test, and will be dispatching someone to my house tomorrow.   Is there any prep I should do to make the diag and possible conversion to NVG589 more seamless?

If possible I would like to retain my homerun'd coax to the stbs.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.