LightBeCorp's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, July 27th, 2013 3:07 PM

What is the number of watts to run the 2wire Gateway 3800HGV-B modem?

I have attempted to find the manual for the 3800HGV-B modem online.  They have been purchased by another company.  In the section where they say  you can get information on the old 2wire products I found nothing for this modem.  We were out of power for almost three days in the Tulsa area.  We plan to purchase a power generator and want to include the modem in the total wattage supported. How can we find out this information?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

LightBeCorp -
You should be safe using 10 watts. see this thread, google for more = http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Power-usage-for-residential-gateway/td-p/2945217

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the info.  This will help me complete my wattage list.  We have a home office for our business where we use u-Verse Internet service.  We will not be caught again during a power failure.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

SomeJoe7777 measured his equipment a couple of years ago and found the following values:

(STB = 10 watts, DVR = 17 watts, RG = 9 watts).

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

Just an FYI, if the power is down odds are good that the internet will be down too. They typically travel on the same poles.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I will keep that in mind

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I will use your wattage as a solution.  I am checking the wattage of the power supply for our other electrical appliances at the high end just to be safe.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

While not exactly accurate, an easy guage is to count the number of outlets (home tend to be 15amp, commercial tend to be 20 amp). The power is thumbnalil calculated as Volts x Amps (which gives you VA) ...so if you had six outlets at work (20), that would be 20 x 120 x 6 or 2400 x 6 or 14,400A total possible (the absolute most those six outlets could provide without blowing a breaker (remember there is some inrush / initial power kick so you want to round up ... though most power suppliers (generator, solar, wind, hydro ...) converters / controllers give you some "peak" value latitude.

The difference between VA and Watts is small (if it exists at all) and has to do with the quality of the power and other factors.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

@americangame wrote:

Just an FYI, if the power is down odds are good that the internet will be down too. They typically travel on the same poles.

Actually, that's no longer true.  U-verse fiber is largely (if not exclusively) underground.  In my end of the neighborhood, the copper from the VRAD is underground, too.  Power, however, goes underground about a half mile from my home.  Also, electrical transformers can blow as well.  The VRAD has battery backup for some period of time.  I've had U-verse network services during my last two power outages,

Now, powering up your TV's and STB's for any useful length of time is another problem.  Tablets and laptops are good, VOIP is good.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Ya, I know I was without power for 10+ days but as long as my RG was still on a BBU I had wifi.

Also...the power supply is 36 watts as stated previously, but the actual draw may differ.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.