mderoy's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, April 21st, 2013 7:16 PM

Watching pre-recorded Uverse content while disconnected from Uverse

Hi,

I have moved to a new place and would like to watch pre-recorded shows while getting my new service in place.  Is it possible to move the STB/Receiver and Gateway to the new place, run stand alone and still be able to watch the shows recorded in the STB?

Thanks,

Roy

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

I have no idea what you 2 are talking about but it sounds like you need to hug it out. Smiley LOL

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Not to throw a wrench into this debate but my daughter lost connectivity on her TW Cable during storms last night and was able to still watch DVR'ed content.

I found this on the internet about TW Cable's DVR's:

If the box has been unplugged from electricity after a service disconnect, it will not be able to load the software and therefore you will not be able to access the software to playback recorded programs.
If the box is still plugged in, it will playback even if the service is disconnected.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

The problem is that Greg is smart on some things, but just plain wrong on others such as this topic and will not admit it when he is.  No one is disputing the fact that Microsoft did not invent IPTV, the issue is, AT&T worked with Microsoft and Cisco to build equipment for UVerse that requires a connection to be able to view recorded programs.  It's not a requirement of IPTV, but it's an AT&T limitation/requirement.

• 

4.4K Messages

11 years ago

Now, everyone, let's keep on topic here and not fall down that hole into arguing the situation. Do some research and prove it without arguing Smiley Happy or we can just agree to disagree and move on.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I believe that you are incorrect SomeJoe7777 expert "That's incorrect, Greg.  It does indeed have to do with the choice made by Microsoft, and it has nothing to do with IPTV systems design.".

It still has everything to do with the IPTV system design that ATT contracts from a vendor (MS, etc.).  In order to provide good and proper customer service to their paying (a LOT of $$$$) customers ATT could and should require from MS (or whomever vendor's DVR platform they are using) the ability of it's customers to use the DVR when the cable system is temporarily out.  If ATT is worried that some devious customers may use this feature to 'steal' service/movies when their uverse account is closed by disconnecting the cable before ending service; ATT could merely require from their IPTV vendor to put a time limit (say one week of no IPTV unit connection to ATT mother ship) on the feature.  This way ATT could (and should) provide the 99.999999999% of paying customers proper customer service and not worry about the .00000000001% unscrupulous thieves that may take advantage and might be able to watch recorded movies (that they probably recorded when the were paying customers) for whatever amount of time limit ATT decided so that the 99.999999% of paying customers would suffer less inconvenience whenever their cable was temporarily out.  Respectfully; It's as they say a 'no-brainer'. 

. . .

We won’t even talk about having to ignore the amount of your time that the vendor providing the IPTV system MICROSOFT) ‘steals’ from their Windows customers when dealing with their Windows operating system bugs and deficiencies on COUNTLESS occasions . . .

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

a.  This thread is almost 5 years old, aka: A Blast from the Past.

b.  @SomeJoe7777 hasn't posted since June of 2014.

3.  There's a good chance that he won't see your reply.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.