schutzdl's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, June 2nd, 2014 6:27 PM

VPN access issues with NVG589

Hi, I've had AT&T U-Verse service since 2008.  I previously had one of the 1st generation 2wire routers up until a few weeks ago.  I never had a single issue with my VPN access while working from home.  Since I had the Motorola NVG589 router installed a few weeks ago I drop VPN constantly.  The installation tech was playing with all the router settings after installation and I'm not sure he knew what they should be.  Does anyone have any suggestions, help please? 

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @schutzdl,

I apologize about the issues you are having with your VPN dropping after getting the NVG589. One thing to try is to put the device connecting to the VPN server in passthrough mode. Here is a post explaining the process. Also, if you have your own router, which you know has had no issues with your VPN connection, you can connect that to the NVG589 and put it in passthrough mode and have your device connect to your router.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm having the same problem. Had the old inid setup and my vpn worked fine. After getting the NVG589, it would not stay connected. I spent many hours with support with no solution. I ended up having to get another isp since i work from home. I wish ATT support could figure out whats wrong with the NVG589.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Just to update this issue if anyone was having similar issues. The connection drops were due to the wireless connection. After resetting the connection back to default, everything is now working once again.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had the NVG589 installed about 3 weeks ago - and my VPN phone has not worked since.  I have had 5 technicians out here, I've spent HOURS on the phone with a "tier 2" level support, I've IP passthroughed, factory reset the modem, changed out the device I was using for VPN, changed out to a different NVG589, hardwired to the modem, changed ports, changed wires at the box on my house, NOTHING WORKS! This is ridiculous! I had ZERO probelms with the modem that was installed prior to the NVG589. I don't even understand why the tech replaced my modem - they were not even dispatched because of issues with the modem.

I work from home I NEED my phone to work.  When I asked for my old modem back, I was told that's not possible.  That the NVG589 is the latest and greatest - and that's all that's being installed going forward. It's not that great if it's not working! No one at this tier 2 support knew or even heard of my issues.  They were all stumped and in fact one agent tried to tell me it's not AT&T's problem that my VPN phone device isn't picking up your signal.  That is INFURIATING! My VPN phone device picked up the AT&T signal just fine on the old modem! This is horrendous service! I was offered a refund of 21 days of non-service - ONLY AFTER I ASKED!! AT&T needs to make this right - immediately!

Resetting connections to wireless or not --- I don't understand what that means, but I'm not connecting to the modem wirelessly.  My VPN phone is hard wired to the modem and it WILL NOT STAY CONNECTED. 

I guess since I can't work because I don't have a phone to work from I won't be able to pay my AT&T bill any more. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have had the same issue.  I can connect to the VPN via cable throught the NVG589 modem, but the wireless VPN fails within 60 seconds.   I know that my computer's modem is fine because I can VPN using other Wifi networks.  It is the NVG589. 

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

Hello,

What type of VPN protocol are you using?  I have no problems using PTPP over Wireless or Wired, but I have a problem with L2TP and ocasionally a problem with OpenVPN over Wireless.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I am using NCP Secure Entry Client for Windows 8.  IPsec protocol I think?

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

Hello,

If you are still having this problem, and if you can with your VPN client, try switching over to a different protocol.  Otherwise you also may want to try opening the ports in which your IPSec uses in your Firewall.  This should bypass the rule (if any) not allowing you to connect.  Could you try pinging the VPN, and giving us a picture of its response from Command Prompt or Terminal?  It may be more helpful in determining any problems.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having the same issue with the Not Very Good 589 modem.

Junos Pulse just won't let me login to my work.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I am having same exact problem and they want to charge me to talk to their tech department ????
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.