silverfox1991's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, September 25th, 2011 9:09 PM

VOIP phone service

Does anyone know how to connect "magic Jack" directly to my "residential gateway"?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Magic jack is designed to plug-in to a usb port on a computer, then plug the phone into magic jack.

I have seen posts that some RGs have a USB port. If you have one you could try it to see if it works,

You may need to plug it in to a computer first to set it up. If it can process calls off the RG you would not need to leave your computer on.

If you have a usb poert on your RG, call magic Jack support & ask about it. If you do not have a usb port you do not have the opportunity to try it.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Although I don't have the service myself, it is my understanding that the MagicJack is connected directly to your computer via USB port--it would have nothing to do with your RG as far as I know.  I assume you do not have U-voice VOIP service.

docbombay

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Sorry, aviewer--I was typing as you were posting.

docbombay

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

docbombay - No problem - happens all the time. I am usually second.

silverfox1991 - If you want to plug into the RG - How about ooma? I think there are others, too.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Just moved and got UVERSE Internet, TV and Phone. They gave me their 3801HGV RG. My work phone is an NEC ESI IP Phone (i believe Gen 1). The phone worked fine at my last house on xfinity not more than 2 days ago. It appears I have to get rid of the ATT Phone service for one (if some of the posts are correct) but my first problem is that the DHCP server is not even locating the phone. Nothing shows on Port 1 where I have it plugged in. I have tried multiple lan wires. As a result, I can't even get to the point where I forward the necessary ports. I am not seeing a way to set a static ip address. It is as if the phone does not even exist (yes it is powered on 🙂 Any thoughts?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hih @psbengel3,

I am sorry about the issues you are having with your U-verse services, but I will be glad to help. Try connecting another device like a laptop or device through that Ethernet cable. If it comes up, then we know the wiring and the U-verse gateway are good. 

I ran into a similar issue once, and it may be that the NEC VOIP phone has a static IP set in it that is in a different subnet than what the U-verse gateway uses by default. If that is the case, you can either change the information on your VOIP phone or change the DHCP pool in the U-verse gateway.

Hope this helps.

-David T

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

You need to also make sure these ports are open on the AT&T gateway or you will not get speech patch.

unknown0060B98BFE69VoIP Mercury-udp5060-5061 
   udp3462-3463 
   udp5080-5081 
   udp10020-10083 

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

For anyone that runs into this issue again, we were able to get the issue resolved by changing the settings on the NEC VOIP Phone.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Magic Jack Plus is operated by plugging the power mode into an outlet or extension. Magic Jack is then plugged into the USB receptacle on the power mode. You can plug in a USB cord from a router on one side and a telephone line plugs in next to it. The computer does not have to stay on as it did with the original version. It has excellent receptivity even on foreign calls. Great product.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have a 5268ac model router/gateway 1GB fiber connection. I've had my phone system in place since moving in about 5 months ago, however a week or so ago I began to experience no audio calls. I previously had not done any port forwarding whatsoever, so long as I've been using the pbx server. Once I had problems I started trying everything. I have a Cisco ASA 5505 that sits behind this AT&T RG. My pbx is plugged into my ASA and is not specifically blocking anything, and since the ATT RG has a firewall which cannot be shut off I suspect it's the cultprit for my audio issues. 

I created a user defined firewall filter for the ASA connection based on my desired port range and protocol. I am pinholing 5060-5061 UDP and 10000 to 20000 port range for tcp/udp. I have been able to get all way audio calls but intermittently get no audio calls. I also attempted the DMZ setting to which nothing seems to make the issue resolved. My calls setup properly and can be put on hold, but no audio occurrs which is almost always network based. Any suggestions for this ATT RG? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.