Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 25, 2011
2:09:37 PM
View profile
VOIP phone service

Does anyone know how to connect "magic Jack" directly to my "residential gateway"?

Does anyone know how to connect "magic Jack" directly to my "residential gateway"?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 25, 2011 3:23:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Magic jack is designed to plug-in to a usb port on a computer, then plug the phone into magic jack.

I have seen posts that some RGs have a USB port. If you have one you could try it to see if it works,

You may need to plug it in to a computer first to set it up. If it can process calls off the RG you would not need to leave your computer on.

If you have a usb poert on your RG, call magic Jack support & ask about it. If you do not have a usb port you do not have the opportunity to try it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

VOIP phone service

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 25, 2011 3:23:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Magic jack is designed to plug-in to a usb port on a computer, then plug the phone into magic jack.

I have seen posts that some RGs have a USB port. If you have one you could try it to see if it works,

You may need to plug it in to a computer first to set it up. If it can process calls off the RG you would not need to leave your computer on.

If you have a usb poert on your RG, call magic Jack support & ask about it. If you do not have a usb port you do not have the opportunity to try it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: VOIP phone service

2 of 6 (1,396 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 3:24:37 PM
(0)
Guru

Although I don't have the service myself, it is my understanding that the MagicJack is connected directly to your computer via USB port--it would have nothing to do with your RG as far as I know.  I assume you do not have U-voice VOIP service.

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

Although I don't have the service myself, it is my understanding that the MagicJack is connected directly to your computer via USB port--it would have nothing to do with your RG as far as I know.  I assume you do not have U-voice VOIP service.

docbombay

3 of 6 (1,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 3:25:29 PM
(0)
Guru

Sorry, aviewer--I was typing as you were posting.

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

Sorry, aviewer--I was typing as you were posting.

docbombay

4 of 6 (1,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 6:12:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
docbombay - No problem - happens all the time. I am usually second.

silverfox1991 - If you want to plug into the RG - How about ooma? I think there are others, too.
docbombay - No problem - happens all the time. I am usually second.

silverfox1991 - If you want to plug into the RG - How about ooma? I think there are others, too.

5 of 6 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2016 4:31:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

Magic Jack Plus is operated by plugging the power mode into an outlet or extension. Magic Jack is then plugged into the USB receptacle on the power mode. You can plug in a USB cord from a router on one side and a telephone line plugs in next to it. The computer does not have to stay on as it did with the original version. It has excellent receptivity even on foreign calls. Great product.

Magic Jack Plus is operated by plugging the power mode into an outlet or extension. Magic Jack is then plugged into the USB receptacle on the power mode. You can plug in a USB cord from a router on one side and a telephone line plugs in next to it. The computer does not have to stay on as it did with the original version. It has excellent receptivity even on foreign calls. Great product.

6 of 6 (168 Views)