pentiumii1's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Thursday, May 2nd, 2013 10:11 PM

Uverse Bridge for Access Point connection

I have been reading the forum all afternoon and have decided that I am not simply failing to read enough to find my answer.

I need to be able to plug a device into an ethernet outlet in a location that I cannot get a cable to.  My gateway (RG) in in my office closet and I need for it to talk to a device in my security alarm panel.  This device does not have any wireless capability and connects to the internet via a rj45 connection. 

I started looking for a wireless bridge to achieve this connection but I couldn't find anything that I felt confident that it would be compatible with the ATT RG.  So, I am hoping that someone has had success with a wireless bridge and will share the model number with me.

I particularly would like to not have to change anything in the RG 3800hgv-b since everything else is working pretty well as it is.  If necessary I am confident that I can make the changes, but I don't think I want to put my RG in bridge mode, I am hoping that is what the bridge will do.  As an example, I was chasing down a netgear unit, wnce2001, and one of the forums said it wasn't compatible with the ATT RG. 

Anyone out there able to recommend what may actually be called an access point brand and model?  It will be single use, low data transfer, and I just need it to basically duplicate the use of a cable.  Thanks in advance.

In case someone is curious, the unit I need to plug in is called a AD2USB device that will make my alarm system visible to my network.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

I did try google & was surprised to find there are not good matches for rj-45. They are all for USB. But, this one sounds interesting. But, who knows - http://www.walmart.com/ip/15084821?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem#Specifications

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

pentiumii1 - I must be missing something - you do not have a spare rj-45 on the U-verse RG 3800?? It has four.
A standard cat5 cable has an rj-45 on each end.

Get the length of cable you need from monoprice.com

OOPs I missed you can not get a cable there. Cmon there must be a way - sneak itt behind some molding.

If not , why all the complication for bridge mode? Find a wireless adpter that has RJ-45 & link it to the 3800 wireless.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

Maybe I simply got readers block.  I thought it would be something as simple as finding a router/bridge with some ethernet ports on the back and put it in the alarm room and point it to my RG.  I was ready to go when I started reading about not working with the RG, or needing DD-WRT and various things that I haven't kept up with as technology passes me by. 

I am trying to connect a rs232 device to my network so that it can see my alarm panel.  Perhaps I am making my most common mistake of finding a solution to what I think is the problem rather than just stating my need.  I am using a Micasaverde veralite home automation controller to manage everything, and I may move it to the alarm closet as well so I would need two rj45 connections but worst case I could achieve that with a switch. 

The main thing is that I need whatever plugs into that device to be on the same network as my RG. 

So, do you think I can use a wireless router to connect to the RG or will the new router try to assign its own ip addresses?  Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I reread your post and you say to find a wireless adapter and connect it to the RG.  That is exactly what I am looking for.  Does a standalone wireless adapter exist?  I don't have a pc to connect it through.  i will google your terminology.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I am very impressed.  You even found me one with two ports.  You are the man!  Thank you.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

You can use your electrical wiring as an ethernet cable using devices provided by AT&T. They plug into the wall electrical outlet and your ethernet cables plug into them and the desired devices. They are just like having a hard wired connection from your gateway to your device. There is one on the sending end ant the receiving end. I use one myself for a desktop that is out of range of the router and there is no ethernet cable running back there to it. It only cost around $86 but it's well worth it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.