jeferwho's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, July 3rd, 2015 8:34 PM

Using existing Uverse modem

Hi,

I am trying to sign up to become a ATT customer and subscribe to Uverse 6 mbps internet. I went through all the internet pages to complete my contract but I can't figure out how to remove the equipment lease. I already have an ATT Uverse 2 wire 887 modem that was in service recently so feel pretty confident that it will still work. I want to use this modem or at least try to use this modem to be environmentally conscience. I feel we waste too much stuff in our world and should be reusing electronics. If my existing modem does work can I send back the new modem and forego the $7/month charge?

Thanks, Jeff

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@jeferwho wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to sign up to become a ATT customer and subscribe to Uverse 6 mbps internet. I went through all the internet pages to complete my contract but I can't figure out how to remove the equipment lease. I already have an ATT Uverse 2 wire 887 modem that was in service recently so feel pretty confident that it will still work. I want to use this modem or at least try to use this modem to be environmentally conscience. I feel we waste too much stuff in our world and should be reusing electronics. If my existing modem does work can I send back the new modem and forego the $7/month charge?

Thanks, Jeff

There never has been a 2wire 887 RG used on Uverse, so I can guarantee it won't work.  You will only be able to use the one you are balking about getting.  That is the one that will be assigned to your account and only one that will work, it'll have to authorize w/ATT servers.

Sorry, FCC will be no help, change was made in the TOS this past January.  Previously ADSL2+ users had to pay $100 for the RG w/1yr warranty.  If it was defective out of warranty, another $100 was required, this was all eliminated w/TOS changes. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

9 years ago

@jeferwho wrote:

Hi,

Thanks, Jeff

How did you acquire the modem?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

got it from a friend

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

9 years ago

As of Jan. 2015, all equipment must be LEASED from ATT.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks. Also found the same response in another post...

https://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Wi-Fi-Gateway/Can-I-signup-for-Uverse-Internet-and-use-my-own-Modem-Gateway/m-p/4271679

As they suggested I filed an FCC complaint. Shame on ATT for sticking it to new customers and creating an ever bigger waste stream.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.