For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
reichmaj's profile

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

Saturday, October 19th, 2013 4:07 PM

Upgrading AT&T Uverse modem/Routers

AT&T Forum

I'll post my question to the community because after129 minutes of working with AT&T tecnical support

I got no where.

Bottom line is I want to take advantage of my laptops 802.11N wireless band capabilities.  I currently have an AT&T model 3801HGV modem/router which is not N band capable.  AT&T sells an upgraded modem/router the PACE  DSL Gateway Model 4111N.  Is it simple a case of replaceing Modem/Routers?  Or would I also need to increase my banbwidth too? I presently am under the 12 Mbps plan.

[edited formatting to remove blank space at bottom]

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@Tigereyze209 wrote:

I hesitate to ask,  but what on EARTH is a dongle? tried to google it, and will keep the results to myself..  lets just say, it does not relate to computer "parts".....

It is a small device that can be plugged into a computer port to provide some functionality.  Early dongles were plug-through devices that could be put on the parallel port of a computer and contained a software license key.

These days they normally plug into a USB port and can be:

• a transceiver for a wireless mouse or keyboard
  • a Wi-Fi transciever
  • Cellular network modem

A USB flash drive could also be called a dongle.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I also would like to swap out the 2Wire/Pace 3801 unit for a 2Wire/Pace 5301NV Gateway which also supports the wireless 802.11N.  It may also be a 5031, not sure.  We only have Uverse internet and not TV or phone.  Can you help us?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I also have a 3801 rented that I would like to upgrade to "n".

I have Internet, phone, and TV via Uverse.

Please advise.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

I have now purchased a new router that has a faster WIFI that handles all of my WIFI devices with faster delivery.  It is a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Routher.  Easy to install and bring online.  It delivers faster Internet to all of my wireless devices.  It has the older wifi 2.8gh and the faster 5gh.  This obviously was better than waiting on AT&T to contact me about changing out my older router that was installed several years ago when I signed up with Uverse Internet.

I think this is the best way to inprove your wifi speed.  It even gave me a better signal to my wifi thermostats.   Hope this helps someone looking for an answer.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

I have not heard from U-Verse, so I purchased a new router and placed it "down line" to the At&t routher and now have a faster wifi signal for all of my devices.  That is my solution but it may not be for everyone.  If you can get Uverse to change out your older gateway router with a faster one then that should solve your problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

How did you connect the Nighthawk AC1900?  Did you put your gateway in the IP Pass Through mode and the Nighthawk in DMZ mode?  Regards, Roy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Hi Morgan,

I have the same exact issue.

Switched to DirecTV last year, but kept u-verse internet. However, my modem (3800HGV-B) was not changed and it's speed and distance are underwhelming.

Would appreciate your help in making the switch.

Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

i have a 2 wire 723 

model 3801 HGV

I am not able to make an association between the wireless router and my new laptop

The laptop is a Dell latitude E5550 and its running windows 7

Is there a piece of firmware that can enhance the routers performance?

Is there an upgrade or driver that can enhance my PC and its wireless device to associate with your router?

Thanks. Ive seen your posts and they seem to be helpful.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Morgan,

I'd like to upgrade to the 2Wire/Pace 5301NV

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

If CS is still monitoring this chain, ie. Morgan.. please contact me as I would like to alleviate the exact some issue and upgrade to a 5301NV or current available device
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.