jerH's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 10:45 PM

UVerse Motorola NVG510 Router Packet Filtering

So far my U-verse experience has been less than stellar.  But by far the biggest issue has been that, according to AT&T tech support, I can only stream TV programming to my computers if I use their wireless router.  Somehow this seems...wrong.  But it did take care of the problem.

Anyway, with my old router I had the capability to block selected websites at the router.  The NVG510 doesn't seem to have a direct capability to just say "restrict access to www....".  So I'm wondering if I can use the packet filtering capability somehow.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm specifically trying to restrict my kid's access to www.omegle.com.  I know I could install software on their computers to do it, but they don't exactly have fast machines to start with, and they'd probably be one step ahead of me in disabling it anyway. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @jerH,

Sorry about the issues you are having, but I will be glad to help. It is true that you have to be connected to the same subnet as our router in order for the U-verse live TV programming to work. If you put your router in bridge mode, you will be able to achieve this, but I do not know if you will still have the capability to block websites when it is in bridge mode.

You can try to use the packet filter to block access. To do so, just find the IP address of the site, and block all incoming traffic from it.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks @DavidCS 

No luck so far....

I used two different web sites (site24x7.com and getip.com) to determine the IP address of www.omegle.com (the site I want to block) and got two significantly different addresses (184.170.250.215 and 192.252.220.104).  That's a lot of parentheses.  I tried creating a drop rule that has two elements: IP4 and source address.  I used both IP addresses, and was still able to go to www.omegle.com and use the site. The 184 address is also the address I get from ping, btw.  I don't get any message saying so, but do I have to reboot the router to make the rule take effect or anything like that?  Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @jerH,

I have not tried it with websites, so I am guessing the packet filter rules do not block website traffic. The only other things I can think of is try to use the AT&T Parental Controls.

Also, if you have separate computers just for the kids, they can be put behind your router, which can firewall any unwanted traffic. Sadly, you will not have access to the U-verse Live TV options on those computers.

-David T

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks....frustrating situation.

I think I'm going to go ahead and put my router back in the mix.  It provides website filtering, a guest network, and lets me share a USB hard drive which is what I had all the computers in the house backing up to.  I think I just lose too much functionality with the AT&T router...and the U-Verse TV streaming doesn't work the majority of the time anyway.

If I'm going to go that path, do you have any guide to the configuration settings?  I had it all configured with the old TwoWire router, but I'm sure it will be different with the Motorola one.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

You should be able to just do a basic configuration where all you need is your router to pick up an IP address from ours to get it to work, since it sounds like the internal network functionality will be handled by your router and the only outside access it needs is for basic internet access.

If you do find some feature not working, then you can set it up in passthrough mode. Here is a great post from frostcall outlining the process for an NVG589, but that will also work with the NVG510.

-David T

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Am I correct in reading that the DNS servers on this router are hard-coded?  I was going to try to simply use openDNS to filter the websites I don't want the kids to see...

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @jerH,

It is true that you cannot change the DNS settings on the U-verse router, but you can change the settings on your router and that is the DNS address that will be used.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.