twood8327's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, November 9th, 2013 10:02 PM

Treadmill interference with U-Verse

When I use my treadmill,  which is in the upstairs bonus room, I loose internet, TV and phone. The gateway is downstairs and not on the same circiut.  Any suggestions on what to do? An RFI filter? If so what kind? And where do I get one?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Get two Tripp-Lite IsoBar power strip/filters:

4 outlet version:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ISOBAR4ULTRA-Isobar-Protector/dp/B0000513O4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384216429&sr=8-1&keywords=tripp+lite+isobar+ultra

6 outlet version:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ISOBAR6ULTRA-Isobar-Protector/dp/B0000513US/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384216579&sr=8-2&keywords=tripp+lite+isobar+ultra

8 outlet version:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ISOBAR8ULTRA-Isobar-Protector/dp/B0000511U7/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384216607&sr=8-3&keywords=tripp+lite+isobar+ultra

Place one on the treadmill, and the other on the RG.  Plug the devices into the outlets furthest from the power switch on the Tripp-Lite.  (On the Tripp Lite IsoBars, the filtering increases/compounds the further away from the power switch that you go).

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I'm having the same problem, recorded television freezes when the treadmill is on. This has been a problem on and off for years.  Months will go by and it's fine, then suddenly I can't watch anything that's recorded while on the treadmill.  There is no problem with live TV or Video on Demand. The treadmill & TV are in same room.  I've tried simply running a long power cord from the treadmill into another room, but that doesn't resolve the problem.  My house is old and all outlets have 2 prongs receptacles, so I have to use an adapter regardless of what room I plug the cord into.

Tech came out and after about 30 seconds said there is nothing he could do, I'd have to get my outlets grounded and that would resolve the problem, and he left.  This sounds like bull to me; there has to be another solution. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

ncb565 - Are you saying you cannot use the devices suggested by somejoe?

Since you are saying it is intermittent. Perhaps it is caused by static electricity. It occurs when the air drys out in the winter. Add humidification and ground the treadmill to a water pipe. Can you have a connection between the belt and the frame of the treadmill so that it does not generate static electricity? Maybe put the treadmill on a rubber mat - http://woman.thenest.com/ways-reduce-static-shock-treadmill-17267.html

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Did anyone confirm if this solution actually worked?  I'm having the exact same problem.  I can turn the treadmill on, but as soon as I start the belt (even on lowest setting - 1.0), within 2 seconds, my ATT router goes from green to blinking red, and we lose TV & Internet.  If we then stop the treadmill (don't power it off...just stop the belt), the system recovers within its normal 30 seconds or so.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@eriksab wrote:

Did anyone confirm if this solution actually worked?  I'm having the exact same problem.  I can turn the treadmill on, but as soon as I start the belt (even on lowest setting - 1.0), within 2 seconds, my ATT router goes from green to blinking red, and we lose TV & Internet.  If we then stop the treadmill (don't power it off...just stop the belt), the system recovers within its normal 30 seconds or so.

Yup, it's the motor noise interferring w/the RG.  SomeJoe 7777 was the most knowledgable user here, but dropped Uverse for another carrier.

His links above still work and checking prices on the Trip-Lite website, Amazon is cheapest on every one they sell.  Scroll down on the Amazon page and see the Trip-Lite info farther down.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks Chris...going to purchase 2 TrippLites now.  I did confirm last night that plugging the treadmill into an outlet on a different circuit successfully stopped the issue from occuring.  (we had an office debate if it was related to interference on the circuit or physical proximity between the treadmill motor & the RG...those who voted for interference on the circuit were correct!).

Thanks,

Erik

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

OK...so what do I plug into the ISOBAR, the treadmill, the gateway and access point, or BOTH?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I had the same issue, once the thread mill started my AT&T modem/router would stop working.  I tried 15 or 20 different test and finally found one solution that would correct my issues.

I purchased two tripplite and one filter (CW4L2-20A-S).  

Note: the EMI filter needed to be wired with the thread mill on the incoming line side and incoming power wired into the load side.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.