eric90i's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Tuesday, November 27th, 2012 10:39 PM

Set up Linksys E4200 router behind my AT&T U-verse Residential Gateway (2-Wire)

I want to set up my Linksys E4200 router behind my AT&T U-verse Residential Gateway (2-Wire). Essentially disabling the WiFi on the Residential Gateway and making the E4200 handle all routing and WiFi for my network.

What steps do I take for both the Residential Gateway (2-Wire) and the Linksys E4200 router to accomplish this?

P.S. I am getting U-Verse TV, Internet and Voice installed this Friday 11/30/2012

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using the DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply Dan! I actually had that bookmarked for reference already.  

Hopefully those steps work.  I will post results on Friday!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

SomeJoe7777,

What are the reasons for doing the following steps?

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.
11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.
13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Setting those options as specified makes the 2Wire as transparent as possible, such that it minimally interferes with your traffic. I specified these settings because the goal is to make the 2Wire as much of a transparent bridge as it can be.

Security is left up to your router and its firewall.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Alright I will implement those on the RG then.

Do I need to manually change the IP address of the router at all during the setup?

I have read about changing it from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.*

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, you need to make your router's LAN subnet different from the RG's subnet. The RG's default subnet is 192.168.1.x, so if you leave the RG's set like that, you need to make your router's LAN subnet something different, like 192.168.2.x.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Ok, thank you

So the RG LAN will be at 192.168.1.254 and the router LAN will be at 192.168.2.1.

Also, does the Subnet Mask of the router (255.255.255.0) need to be changed at all?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

No, no change in subnet mask.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

SomeJoe7777 can you please look over these two screen shots and tell me of any problems you see?

Stats-2012-12-13-16-27-37.png

Bitloading-2012-12-13-16-27-32.png

2 Attachments

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Line 2 looks like it has a lot of issues.

If you're having problems with your service, you should call technical support, have them send a premises tech to your house to check the line. He may need to open a helper ticket with the Installation and Maintenance group (I&M), which are the linesmen, to perform additional troubleshooting.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.