Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 12, 2014
2:28:15 PM
View profile
Router behnd the residential gateway

I need some more ethernet ports beyond the four available on the UVerse residential gateway (2wire brand). 

Two questions:

1.  Is there any special procedure, or can I feed an off-the-shelf router from one of the ethernet ports on the gateway? 

2. If the router also has WiFI,I figure I'll have to turn it off. The WiFI on the gateway does fine anyway. How do I shut down the router's WiFi?

I'm not computer savvy, and a simple solution would be nice.  Thanks!

I need some more ethernet ports beyond the four available on the UVerse residential gateway (2wire brand). 

Two questions:

1.  Is there any special procedure, or can I feed an off-the-shelf router from one of the ethernet ports on the gateway? 

2. If the router also has WiFI,I figure I'll have to turn it off. The WiFI on the gateway does fine anyway. How do I shut down the router's WiFi?

I'm not computer savvy, and a simple solution would be nice.  Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 13, 2014 11:25:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

To explain in more detail, you do not need a ROUTER to add additional ports, as you're not actually routing traffic (moving it from one IP subnet to another).  All you want is more ports, and that can be done by adding a hub (old-skool) or switch (or an access point if you're doing WiFi).

Think of a router as a substation distribution transformer in the power system, and a hub or switch as an extension cord with multiple outlets.  Most of the time you don't need a huge transformer in your back yard - you just need an extension cord or power strip.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Accepted Solution

Router behnd the residential gateway

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 12, 2014 4:41:06 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Mar 12, 2014 at 4:42:14 PM

about as simple as can be...

Just need more ports... available at many locations, but recommended is
http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku3950269

No router, no reconfiguring, no wifi issues.

about as simple as can be...

Just need more ports... available at many locations, but recommended is
http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku3950269

No router, no reconfiguring, no wifi issues.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Router behnd the residential gateway

[ Edited ]
2 of 5 (555 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 13, 2014 11:25:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

To explain in more detail, you do not need a ROUTER to add additional ports, as you're not actually routing traffic (moving it from one IP subnet to another).  All you want is more ports, and that can be done by adding a hub (old-skool) or switch (or an access point if you're doing WiFi).

Think of a router as a substation distribution transformer in the power system, and a hub or switch as an extension cord with multiple outlets.  Most of the time you don't need a huge transformer in your back yard - you just need an extension cord or power strip.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Hope this helps.

Scott

3 of 5 (525 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 9:03:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the prompt responses and the consistent advice.

Thanks for the prompt responses and the consistent advice.

4 of 5 (500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 9:20:38 AM
(0)
Teacher
It's working just fine, no config problems or anything. Thanks again !
It's working just fine, no config problems or anything. Thanks again !

5 of 5 (437 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments