For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
atrain2324's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2015 11:07 PM

Received 3801HGV gateway to replace 3800, phone line issues!

U-verse recently sent a 3801HGV to replace our 3800 and it is a self-install.  We have 2 separate phone lines.  On the old gateway, the blue wire jack went into Phone Lines 1 & 2 and the second phone line had its jack in the Aux phone line port.

The upgrade instructions stated that a voice line splitter is required to have both lines continue to work as previous...we have that.  But on the 3801HGV...only the primary line rings and it rings both lines.  Dialing in to the second line gets nothing.  

Am I missing something on the install?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Yes, the 3801 supports two phone lines with two different numbers appearing on the one jack.

Every phone uses the same jack. But, every single line phone connects only to the two center wires.

If you have a two line phone, it connects all four wires.

If you do not connect those two outer wires, you will not be connected to that second line.

If you plug a two line jack into the single jack on the 3801. It will split it into a seperate line on each jack. Then you can plug a single line phone into either of the two jacks and access each seperate line.

I think you are saying that you did put a splitter into the 3801 jack & plugged a phone into each available jack & both phones ring when line one is called & neither phone rings when line two is called.

The reason for this is you have the wrong splitter. The splitter you have takes the two middle wires(line 1 )& connects them to the two middle pairs on each output jack - one line to two sets.

You need a splitter that takes the input middle wires & applies them to the middle on jack one & takes the two outer wires & places them in the middle of output jack two-  a two line jack

In summary, the 3801 tel jack has two lines - inner & outer - Your two tel sets, only connect to the inner connection & only ring line 1 & never see line 2 on the outer connection. It appears that the splitter also only handles the inner connection. Perhaps it is a DSL splitter for the broadband side of the 3801.

You can access line two with with a two line set or a two line splitter. Maybe att did not provide a splitter because most people have only one line.

Here is a two line splitter that may help explain - http://www.amazon.com/Telephone-Jack-Line-Separator-Female/dp/B000I963JK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434413024&sr=8-1&keywords=two+line+splitter

The first jack has line 1 on the middle prongs

The second jack has line 2 on the middle prongs

THe third jack has both line 1 (on the middle) & line 2 (on the outer) [same as input jack/plug]

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

The problem is that the 3800 had two jacks for phones & the 3801 has one??

The 3801 has both phones on the one jack. Line one is on the inner two wires & line two is on the outer two wires.

Thes two lines can be seperated by two line splitter or they can both appear on one two line phone.

They can be distributed through the house on the same cable & split at any location with a two line splitter.

Note that a two set splitter is different. it takes one line & allows it to connect to two sets. Where the two line splitterapplies each line to one set.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I guess we have a more non-traditional setup when we signed up for U-Verse?  The 3801 has a jack port for Phones 1 & 2.  And yes, we have two phones, but each phone has its own phone number.   

I just need to know if the 3801 actually supports 2 phone lines, each with its own number.  Under the setup in the instructions, only the primary line works.  Ringing it causes both phones to ring.  But the secondary line, which has a different number never rings.  If the 3801 doesn't support such a setup...

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you! This explains it much better. I hope AT&T has those two-line
splitters!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.