kltrip39's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, May 3rd, 2014 4:18 AM

Port forwarding Port 53 or IP passthrough to synology DS214play

I am in a bit of a pickle with the Motorola NVG589.  I am setting up my Synology DS214play with DNS server so I can use a public domain name that will manage my Web Server, Mail Server etc.  The instructions for the DNS Server setup advises Port 53 be forwarded to my NAS Server.  When I click a

dd for the port forward I receive this error message

"Warning: The change you are attempting to make may cause AT&T U-verse TV to stop working properly."

Now I need to know whic is the better to choice A. to go ahead and forward the port or B. do the IP pass through.

If I chose IP Passthrough then I need to know which option within PassThrough Mode:  1.  DHCP Dynamic 2. DHCP -S Fixed or 3. Manual

If I choose to ignore the warning and go with Port forwrding what could be the issue down the road and which is the better option?

I am leaning towards IP PassThrough.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

So I get 30 plus views but no replies.  If I am not making myself clear or asking the wrong question then will you just respond so I can adjust accordingly.  I am on a schedule and I need you guys help.  ATT where are your techs now when I need them?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

IP Passthrough is really meant to be used only if you're using your own router.

If the Synology is just a DNS server, then you need to port forward. However, I'm a bit confused as to why you need the public Internet to query your Synology for DNS? Is your Synology authoritative for your domain name on the public Internet (i.e. have you set up authoritative DNS servers IP addresses at the domain registrar that are pointing to your outside IP at home?) This is the only reason you'd need to port forward DNS.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@kltrip39 wrote:

...  I am on a schedule and I need you guys help.  ATT where are your techs now when I need them?

Just to set your expectations accurately:

The AT&T Community is first and foremost a peer-to-peer forum created so that customers can help other customers.

As such, while there are some AT&T employees whose job it is to work on the forums, they are not network technicians and know little of such details as setting up a DNS server in your home.  There are other AT&T employees who volunteer and provide answers on these forums, but they are not network technicians either.

SomeJoe7777 is probably the most authoritative voice you're going to get on this forums for things IP related.  I saw your post and chose not to pipe in because I (a) couldn't figure out what you were trying to accomplish and (b) didn't have a direct answer to the questions you asked.  I, like SomeJoe7777, can't understand why you would be trying to allow external DNS requests into your network.  All the reasons I can think of would be best served some other way.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

My Synology Diskstation is not just a DNS server, I am using DNS to setup access via a Public Domain Name that I purchased other than the DDNS name I created through synology itself plus use it as a web server and e-Mail server along with streaming of music and movies and various other projects as well as streaming to multiple types of devices (this is a delicate balance that cannot be disturbed).  My question was what is the bes option either port forwading or simulating DMZ+. 

SomeJoe I am trying to complete the registration of the Naming Servers with my domain registrar (just waiting on a response from them).

Again thanx for the response Some Joe. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

That other guy posting here I want you to know that all you have to do is ask for more info or ask a question to get at what the person is trying to do instead of just reading the post then overlooking it.  As to AT&T tech's patroling the forum, they really should be here in full force trying to solidify customer service to make sure every customer is happy.  BTW I've seen on plenty of post where they (AT&T) people have responded, if they do not think me trying to find a solution to my problem is not worth their time then I am sure another ISP will (and all the other people I make sure I tell about their poor service).  I really don't understand why when I call into support they constantly try to push it off on my computer even when I am trying to ask them about more info for their product they put in for the services I pay for.

Just so I make myself clear your response was unwarranted and very small minded, if you have any affiliation with them then you have just confirmed what I already know about AT&T and their lack of true customer support.  Now I will admit my second post was a little over the top but that does not give you the right to try and give me the business.  I take it you do not know what customer support is.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@kltrip39 , the uses that you describe for this do not yet seem to explain why you need to pass port 53 traffic into your home.  Normally, when you host your own servers on your High Speed Internet connection, you let some other company (often the domain registrar) host your DNS authoritative name server for you.  There's lots of good reasons for this.

Being caustic isn't the best way to get your questions answered, by the way.  Good luck with your issues.  I will gladly return to being silent on this thread.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

@jeffermc, you are right and I will give my apologies to you. Unfortunately synology doesn't work that way. If you have a diskstation behind a firewall/router then without port forwarding you can't even get to the diskstation manager (DSM) O/S login screen. Either the server is facing the net or you forward the required ports for all connections to work ie ds video, ds audio, ds manager, cloud station etc. So in order to use your own domain name steps need to be taken that are not orthodox.

On the old 2 wire now pace routers DMZ+ made it easy.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

I suppose you could use DMZ+ if you wanted to. That would forward all traffic from outside to the Synology. However, under that condition, the Synology would have the public outside IP address, while all the computers on your home network would have private IP addressing, thus none of them could then reach the Synology without the traffic being routed through the U-Verse router. That will slow it's performance on the LAN fairly dramatically.

If you port forward the correct ports instead, you can avoid this problem. I would wager you need to forward the following ports:

80, 443, and 25

This would give you HTTP, HTTPS, and SMTP access to the server. (I'd highly recommend against trying to do your own mail server, but if you must ...)

You don't need 53, because again, the Synology is not running a DNS server that needs to be queried from the Internet. You said in one of your posts that you're putting in DNS entries at the domain registrar, so I take it they are doing DNS for you.

If port forwarding ends up not working correctly for you, then I'd recommend using your own router, and following the instructions for setting up that router in DMZ+ mode. Then make the proper port forwarding entries on your own router to forward to the Synology.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Hey thanx for the response again SomeJoe.  OK port 443 is port forwarded to the AP for my wireless DVR (sucks big time).  Hopefully my godaddy will be able to forward all traffic for the domain to my public IP but I will need the DNS server to handle that traffic that's why I need port 53 forwarded to the Synology. 

BTW Synology has a very cool app plug-in that does everything you need to setup your own mail server just plug in the needed info and you are good to go (I'm sure some tweaking will be needed).

I wish I only needed Port 80, 443 and 25.  I also need port 5001, 5000, 5005, 5006 and several others just to name a few.  here is the full list http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/faq/299 and yes the list is long.  It does not list port 53 since most people will live with in house DDNS.  But of course since I want to expand my Disk Station I am forced to take an outside domain name and go from there.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

You know that GoDaddy has DNS available with your domain name registration, right? You can set up the DNS zone file for your domain at GoDaddy and not have to run your own DNS.

But anyway, if you need to port forward all of those ports, there's no reason you can't. You can configure port forwarding on the 2Wire router, or like I said earlier, you can use DMZPlus with your own router and then port forward with that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.