Jaybarry2's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 8:29 PM

Plugging home phone into wall jack instead of Residential Gateway??

We are new to U-Verse and have television/home phone with it. Our home phone and TV were initially plugged into the Residential Gateway. My girlfriend did not like the location of the home phone; and now has our home phone plugged into the wall jack instead of the residential gateway. Even with the home phone now plugged into the wall instead of the Gateway; the caller ID still show up on our television screen etc. Apparently a tech came and I am guessing activated  our land line in the wall jack for her while I was not home. My question is?? Will we now be billed separately for a home phone since its now not being plugged into the gateway? Does it matter if the number is the same? Or does it have to be inserted into the gateway? I thought the whole point of U-verse was that it had to be all through the gateway. Do I have to now have our line that she is apparently using disconnected and re-plug home phone into Gateway? Have no idea what to do and would appreciate help. Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks aviewer -- I tried my device (which looks a lot like the "jack splitter" you sent me the link for, except mine's all one unit, with the connector sticking out the back to be plugged into the wall jack instead of a wire & connector) and it worked yesterday, but now I can't call out on any of the phones.

So I put wiring back the way it was, with one phone connected to the gateway, and that one works.

I am going to pay the technician to hook this up for me with a two-jack wall plate, so I can use my extensions.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@mickmac1 - Thanks for keeping up on status.

Another option is to get a wireless with the number of sets you need. I love my Panasonic with voice announcement of caller ID. Some prefer silence.

It stores numbers for dialing & uses that list to over-ride caller ID name. So, firnds & family are first names or nicknames.

Also has call blociking - when I get an unwanted number - hit the save for blocking.

Also, link the cell via bluetooth & it is on the sets.

Just plug the base in the RG & you are good to go.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks aviewer! I've decided to enter the 21st century and get a cordless phone with the satellite extensions. Thanks for your recommendation of the Panasonic model.

I decided it would cost me more to get the wiring done! So I am researching the cordless phones now. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.