Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Jan 30, 2013
12:29:48 PM
Plugging home phone into wall jack instead of Residential Gateway??

We are new to U-Verse and have television/home phone with it. Our home phone and TV were initially plugged into the Residential Gateway. My girlfriend did not like the location of the home phone; and now has our home phone plugged into the wall jack instead of the residential gateway. Even with the home phone now plugged into the wall instead of the Gateway; the caller ID still show up on our television screen etc. Apparently a tech came and I am guessing activated  our land line in the wall jack for her while I was not home. My question is?? Will we now be billed separately for a home phone since its now not being plugged into the gateway? Does it matter if the number is the same? Or does it have to be inserted into the gateway? I thought the whole point of U-verse was that it had to be all through the gateway. Do I have to now have our line that she is apparently using disconnected and re-plug home phone into Gateway? Have no idea what to do and would appreciate help. Thanks

We are new to U-Verse and have television/home phone with it. Our home phone and TV were initially plugged into the Residential Gateway. My girlfriend did not like the location of the home phone; and now has our home phone plugged into the wall jack instead of the residential gateway. Even with the home phone now plugged into the wall instead of the Gateway; the caller ID still show up on our television screen etc. Apparently a tech came and I am guessing activated  our land line in the wall jack for her while I was not home. My question is?? Will we now be billed separately for a home phone since its now not being plugged into the gateway? Does it matter if the number is the same? Or does it have to be inserted into the gateway? I thought the whole point of U-verse was that it had to be all through the gateway. Do I have to now have our line that she is apparently using disconnected and re-plug home phone into Gateway? Have no idea what to do and would appreciate help. Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 30, 2013 12:48:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:52:28 PM

First thing I would do is call you cell from the wall jack and see what number it says, then plug in the phone to the gateway and see what number it says.  You can't have uvoice and a land line with the same number.  Is it possible that the tech backfed all the house jacks from the back of the RG?  That would be where the dial tone originates from with uvoice.  Look on the back of the RG and see if there is a modular cord plugged into the jack that says Line 1 & 2 and if so then he probably backfed the dial tone to all the jacks in the house.

Edit: Oh and you can't get on screen caller ID with a land line so it has to be backfed from the RG (if the wall jacks are the same number).

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Plugging home phone into wall jack instead of Residential Gateway??

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 30, 2013 12:48:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:52:28 PM

First thing I would do is call you cell from the wall jack and see what number it says, then plug in the phone to the gateway and see what number it says.  You can't have uvoice and a land line with the same number.  Is it possible that the tech backfed all the house jacks from the back of the RG?  That would be where the dial tone originates from with uvoice.  Look on the back of the RG and see if there is a modular cord plugged into the jack that says Line 1 & 2 and if so then he probably backfed the dial tone to all the jacks in the house.

Edit: Oh and you can't get on screen caller ID with a land line so it has to be backfed from the RG (if the wall jacks are the same number).

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Plugging home phone into wall jack instead of Residential Gateway??

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (3,007 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 4:24:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

my phones have never been connected to the rg.  All previous installs the rg backfed the phone line to the distro box.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

my phones have never been connected to the rg.  All previous installs the rg backfed the phone line to the distro box.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

3 of 9 (2,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 7:36:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Techs used to do backfed dial tone standard on U-verse voice.  Now I think you have to sweet talk them to get it.

However, for the OP, backfed dialtone means that the technician connected the line1 connector on the back of the RG to your house phone lines' center pair (probably at the nearest phone extension jack to the RG) which means you can connect a phone to any other outlet.  However, this means that the center pair needed to be disconnected from the incoming service at the NID, and apparently isn't being used to feed your RG.

Techs used to do backfed dial tone standard on U-verse voice.  Now I think you have to sweet talk them to get it.

However, for the OP, backfed dialtone means that the technician connected the line1 connector on the back of the RG to your house phone lines' center pair (probably at the nearest phone extension jack to the RG) which means you can connect a phone to any other outlet.  However, this means that the center pair needed to be disconnected from the incoming service at the NID, and apparently isn't being used to feed your RG.

4 of 9 (2,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 2:59:02 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi Jaybarry2,

Just checking up on your post. If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment in the future, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi Jaybarry2,

Just checking up on your post. If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment in the future, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 9 (1,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2016 8:08:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

How do you "backfeed"??  ATT just turned on my service and never came into the house. I get no dial tone any any other jack in my house.  There is only one port 1&2 which is being used.  I am not happy about this problem!

How do you "backfeed"??  ATT just turned on my service and never came into the house. I get no dial tone any any other jack in my house.  There is only one port 1&2 which is being used.  I am not happy about this problem!

6 of 9 (199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2016 8:20:49 PM
(0)
Employee

Part of the reasons why you should pay $99 for a full tech install instead if doing a self install.

With Uverse VoIP the phone signal comes from the gateway, if base station plug into gateway let the satellite phones of base be in other rooms.

If desire to have the other jacks function, you need to rewire the jack at the gateway.

One pair for the NID to gateway, another pair for the gateway to house wiring. 

This will require a (2) port wall plate or biscuit.

On a customer self install, equipment shipped to you, you agree to be responsible for all house wiring. If are unable to complete the job, call 1-800-288-2020 to schedule a billable ($99) service call. This is the same charge as if tech did the full install.

Part of the reasons why you should pay $99 for a full tech install instead if doing a self install.

With Uverse VoIP the phone signal comes from the gateway, if base station plug into gateway let the satellite phones of base be in other rooms.

If desire to have the other jacks function, you need to rewire the jack at the gateway.

One pair for the NID to gateway, another pair for the gateway to house wiring. 

This will require a (2) port wall plate or biscuit.

On a customer self install, equipment shipped to you, you agree to be responsible for all house wiring. If are unable to complete the job, call 1-800-288-2020 to schedule a billable ($99) service call. This is the same charge as if tech did the full install.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 9 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2016 2:59:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by DjinRacine on Jul 5, 2016 at 3:02:57 PM

Not paying for something they should be including!!  Especially in older homes.

I can do it if told the correct way. 

What is a NID?

Just wish they would have told me this is what I was getting instead of traditional home service, which is what I wanted.

My cordless works in other rooms, but I want all the connections to work so I can plug in other phones!

Not paying for something they should be including!!  Especially in older homes.

I can do it if told the correct way. 

What is a NID?

Just wish they would have told me this is what I was getting instead of traditional home service, which is what I wanted.

My cordless works in other rooms, but I want all the connections to work so I can plug in other phones!

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2016 3:39:02 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Jul 5, 2016 at 3:56:47 PM

NID is network interface device, normally a box on side of residence where outside wiring connects to inside wiring. The change point of who is responsible. 

NID going to plant company responsibility, NID to inside wiring customer responsible.

Basic wiring 

NID, wire pair from NID to house jack where gateway is located. Use orange pair if cat3 or cat5 wiring use black/yellow pair if quad wiring.

Install two port wall plate or biscuit.

For phone backfeed

A phone data cable from gateway to wall plate, blue pair (cat3, cat5) or red/green pair if quad wiring to house distribution.

Make sure the blue pair does not go back out to NID and outside wiring.

Depending on type of wiring in residence will determine materials needed.

Traditional phone service known as POTS (plain old telephone service) is a part of landline not uverse. No bundling of services, no bundle discount, no combined billing. 

Thus pay higher prices for each, two different monthly bills, and separate departments to call for repairs. Uverse VoIP is handled by Uverse techs while POTS is installed and maintained by outside lineman.

Conclusion, getting internet and phone together, one bill, bundled price discount you are getting VoIP not POTS.

NID is network interface device, normally a box on side of residence where outside wiring connects to inside wiring. The change point of who is responsible. 

NID going to plant company responsibility, NID to inside wiring customer responsible.

Basic wiring 

NID, wire pair from NID to house jack where gateway is located. Use orange pair if cat3 or cat5 wiring use black/yellow pair if quad wiring.

Install two port wall plate or biscuit.

For phone backfeed

A phone data cable from gateway to wall plate, blue pair (cat3, cat5) or red/green pair if quad wiring to house distribution.

Make sure the blue pair does not go back out to NID and outside wiring.

Depending on type of wiring in residence will determine materials needed.

Traditional phone service known as POTS (plain old telephone service) is a part of landline not uverse. No bundling of services, no bundle discount, no combined billing. 

Thus pay higher prices for each, two different monthly bills, and separate departments to call for repairs. Uverse VoIP is handled by Uverse techs while POTS is installed and maintained by outside lineman.

Conclusion, getting internet and phone together, one bill, bundled price discount you are getting VoIP not POTS.

[ Edited ]
9 of 9 (114 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments