Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 13, 2011
11:32:27 AM
View profile
PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorolla NVG510
Edited by Filbert66 on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:36:19 AM

Hello,

I can run an IPsec VPN, but the PPTP VPN falis to work since I got U-verse with this modem (used to work over DSL). Does anyone know of a VPN passthrough setting for the NVG510 ? 

I run MacOS Lion 10.7.2, and my IPsec client only works in 32 bit mode. Want to be able to run in 64 bit mode with native Apple PPTP VPN client. I've confirmed that the PPTP VPN fails to work now on my 10.6 machine, so it's the AT&T modem, not Lion.

<flame on>

When I contacted AT&T support to ask for details, I first got bounced to a different chat session, then was told to call a number, and then was told that only "Special Services" knows how to deal with VPNs, then the first person I spoke to there didn't know what a VPN was. On insisting for someone who knew what that was, I was given a manager who then told me that I was required to pay for help. Pay for something that AT&T broke?! No, thank you, I said. She politely offered to transfer me back to the first people (U verse support) who know nothing about VPNs, and I agreed in order to try at least to get a modem manual and CD. But on transferring, I was disconnected! 

<flame off>

Further details from Console:

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP connection established.

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connect: ppp0 <--> socket[34:17]

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connection terminated.

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnecting...

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnected

From what I've been able to determine, the modem is not forwarding GRE protocol packets, but can't figure out how to enable that on the modem.

Hello,

I can run an IPsec VPN, but the PPTP VPN falis to work since I got U-verse with this modem (used to work over DSL). Does anyone know of a VPN passthrough setting for the NVG510 ? 

I run MacOS Lion 10.7.2, and my IPsec client only works in 32 bit mode. Want to be able to run in 64 bit mode with native Apple PPTP VPN client. I've confirmed that the PPTP VPN fails to work now on my 10.6 machine, so it's the AT&T modem, not Lion.

<flame on>

When I contacted AT&T support to ask for details, I first got bounced to a different chat session, then was told to call a number, and then was told that only "Special Services" knows how to deal with VPNs, then the first person I spoke to there didn't know what a VPN was. On insisting for someone who knew what that was, I was given a manager who then told me that I was required to pay for help. Pay for something that AT&T broke?! No, thank you, I said. She politely offered to transfer me back to the first people (U verse support) who know nothing about VPNs, and I agreed in order to try at least to get a modem manual and CD. But on transferring, I was disconnected! 

<flame off>

Further details from Console:

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP connection established.

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connect: ppp0 <--> socket[34:17]

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connection terminated.

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnecting...

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnected

From what I've been able to determine, the modem is not forwarding GRE protocol packets, but can't figure out how to enable that on the modem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 3, 2011 8:14:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

OK, tried setting the NVG to Passthrough mode. Some success, but couldn't get it to work with settings that worked for Bangback . First, had to turn off "Cascaded Router" mode under Home Newtork/Subnets. Then had to power off the NVG even after it reset itself, because it was not allowing me to view the Firewall screens (would go to home screen after entering passcode). Even once had that all working, and verified the MAC address was right, it still was not assigning the fixed IP to the Apple Airport router. Tried resetting and repowering each device multiple times.

However, I then reconfigured the Passthrough to Manual IP mode, configured the Apple router manually with that IP, and it works! Less desirable, because I don't have a fixed IP with AT&T U-verse, but it's good enough for now. If they ever change my IP, I'll just have to reconfigure my local router. 

Accepted Solution

PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorolla NVG510

[ Edited ]
53 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(53)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 2:31:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

You can "bridge" the NVG510 via the IP Passthrough, @Craig_Lindberg, but it won't fix the VPN. Apparently, the NVG510 won't do PPTP VPN.

As you probably know, this modem has myriad problems. It won't bridge correctly; it won't DSN correctly; it has no DMZ support; and, even if you "open" ports via the port forwarding page, it won't correctly forward some of them - and I'm sure there are other issues as well.

AT&T support said there would be a patch out late in December 2011, but so far I don't know of anyone who's actually received it.

Motorola support told me that this modem (and the 2210-ATT1) were built to AT&T specs, and they're the only modems they have that DON'T have true bridging support. Their tech couldn't believe it.

If you're still going to try the IP Passthrough, there is another take on the instructions here that a number of people have had success with:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/NVG510-Bridge-Mode/m-p/2928989#M29846

That one's done with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS). However, the key points for any router are that you connect the NVG510 to the WAN port of the personal router and that you make sure the router gets the public IP of the NVG510 - if it doesn't, you'll have to manually enter the IP, Subnet Mask, etc. Also, make sure you enter the DNS addresses in your router since the NVG510 doesn't pass them through properly.

Again, this won't fix the VPN issue. (One note, though - VPN is working on that setup for me; however, it could be IPSec, rather than PPTP. I'll have to check...)

You can "bridge" the NVG510 via the IP Passthrough, @Craig_Lindberg, but it won't fix the VPN. Apparently, the NVG510 won't do PPTP VPN.

As you probably know, this modem has myriad problems. It won't bridge correctly; it won't DSN correctly; it has no DMZ support; and, even if you "open" ports via the port forwarding page, it won't correctly forward some of them - and I'm sure there are other issues as well.

AT&T support said there would be a patch out late in December 2011, but so far I don't know of anyone who's actually received it.

Motorola support told me that this modem (and the 2210-ATT1) were built to AT&T specs, and they're the only modems they have that DON'T have true bridging support. Their tech couldn't believe it.

If you're still going to try the IP Passthrough, there is another take on the instructions here that a number of people have had success with:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/NVG510-Bridge-Mode/m-p/2928989#M29846

That one's done with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS). However, the key points for any router are that you connect the NVG510 to the WAN port of the personal router and that you make sure the router gets the public IP of the NVG510 - if it doesn't, you'll have to manually enter the IP, Subnet Mask, etc. Also, make sure you enter the DNS addresses in your router since the NVG510 doesn't pass them through properly.

Again, this won't fix the VPN issue. (One note, though - VPN is working on that setup for me; however, it could be IPSec, rather than PPTP. I'll have to check...)

Re: PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorola NVG510

31 of 54 (5,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 3:26:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

this entire fiasco has me thinking about switching to comcast.  this is 2012, is it really so difficult for ISP's to wrap their heads around the notion that many people work from home and require business class service?  their support has been appalling.

which begs the question if comcast would be any better.

this entire fiasco has me thinking about switching to comcast.  this is 2012, is it really so difficult for ISP's to wrap their heads around the notion that many people work from home and require business class service?  their support has been appalling.

which begs the question if comcast would be any better.

32 of 54 (5,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 12:12:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

Amazing... I called back on the 9th.  told them I HAD to have VPN access and do NOT sent a NVG510.  I had played with one at someone's house and could not get it to work.  I was told they would send me an old 2 wire modem.  Ok...signed up...  Told would be done on 16th.   16th gone and went by.  I called them on 17th.  OHHHH  Now it is the 20th, thanks for the info.   So stayed home on the 20th to catch it.   hmmm hmmm..  20th goes by...  No go.  Called on 21st.  OHHH  it would not be there until 26th...  Again, nice notification...  Get a knock on the door at 8pm on 25th.  My router is here.  I am pumped to finally get my internet back on.  I recently moved.   Open the box and I find a NVG510 in the box.  Amazing.

Call them and got transferred all over.  Finally with retention group....  retention means they are trying to retain your business.  Anyway, summing up my 1 hour on the phone.  I was told by the ATT rep that the NVG510 does not work with VPN, sorry.  They canceled my service that I had connected and I am now looking again.

Amazing....

Amazing... I called back on the 9th.  told them I HAD to have VPN access and do NOT sent a NVG510.  I had played with one at someone's house and could not get it to work.  I was told they would send me an old 2 wire modem.  Ok...signed up...  Told would be done on 16th.   16th gone and went by.  I called them on 17th.  OHHHH  Now it is the 20th, thanks for the info.   So stayed home on the 20th to catch it.   hmmm hmmm..  20th goes by...  No go.  Called on 21st.  OHHH  it would not be there until 26th...  Again, nice notification...  Get a knock on the door at 8pm on 25th.  My router is here.  I am pumped to finally get my internet back on.  I recently moved.   Open the box and I find a NVG510 in the box.  Amazing.

Call them and got transferred all over.  Finally with retention group....  retention means they are trying to retain your business.  Anyway, summing up my 1 hour on the phone.  I was told by the ATT rep that the NVG510 does not work with VPN, sorry.  They canceled my service that I had connected and I am now looking again.

Amazing....

33 of 54 (5,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 6:28:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
What's even funnier is they provide this for their business class customers too..
What's even funnier is they provide this for their business class customers too..

34 of 54 (5,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 2:02:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
I found this out the hard way, too - and it's costing me time (=money). As a tax software programmer, I do MOST of my work this time of year from home at night. I NEED to VPN into my office for things occasionally - quite regularly, actually. I'd been doing so just fine with my prior 2wire gateway from ATT. However, upon switching to Uverse, I too got saddled with an NVG510 - only to find its DNS issues and VPN failure (both of which fall into the 'not my problem' department, but I've already invested quite a bit of time into it.).

This is plainly and simply a software issue with the firmware in the unit - and moreover, and epic FAILURE on the part of ATT and/or Motorola. As far as the VPN is concerned, VPN traffic runs on port 1723. It's not that it WON'T work with VPN; it WOULD... but the darned thing will not let you OPEN port 1723. It SAYS that it's open, but it doesn't work. FAIL. Further, apparently, AT&T (and/or Motorola) doesn't seem to give a rip about it... this has gone on for months - firmware updates promised - and still NOTHING. (what's even cooler... I call att and ask about using another modem - only to be told that Uverse ONLY runs on an NVG510. nice...)

Disgusted.
I found this out the hard way, too - and it's costing me time (=money). As a tax software programmer, I do MOST of my work this time of year from home at night. I NEED to VPN into my office for things occasionally - quite regularly, actually. I'd been doing so just fine with my prior 2wire gateway from ATT. However, upon switching to Uverse, I too got saddled with an NVG510 - only to find its DNS issues and VPN failure (both of which fall into the 'not my problem' department, but I've already invested quite a bit of time into it.).

This is plainly and simply a software issue with the firmware in the unit - and moreover, and epic FAILURE on the part of ATT and/or Motorola. As far as the VPN is concerned, VPN traffic runs on port 1723. It's not that it WON'T work with VPN; it WOULD... but the darned thing will not let you OPEN port 1723. It SAYS that it's open, but it doesn't work. FAIL. Further, apparently, AT&T (and/or Motorola) doesn't seem to give a rip about it... this has gone on for months - firmware updates promised - and still NOTHING. (what's even cooler... I call att and ask about using another modem - only to be told that Uverse ONLY runs on an NVG510. nice...)

Disgusted.

35 of 54 (5,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2012 4:41:36 PM
(0)
Expert
Let's be clear -- there are two main types of VPN in use today:

1. Microsoft PPTP VPN, which uses port 1723 TCP for negotiation, and IP type 47 (GRE) for tunneled data.

2. IKE-IPSEC VPN (Cisco routers as well as most other VPN implementations), which uses UDP port 500 for key negotiation and IP type 50 (ESP) for tunneled data.

The problem with the NVG510 is not TCP port 1723 nor the UDP port 500. These are TCP/IP ports that it's NAT code properly handles. The issue is the other IP packets (type 47/50). Those packets cannot be subjected to NAT, and require specific helper code in the routing engine to get them transported. The NVG510 lacks the required helper code (i.e. bad firmware) thus those protocols don't work.

There are a couple roundabout ways you might try to get out of using the Motorola NVG510. I cannot guarantee that any of these suggestions will work:

1. Obtain a Motorola 2210 from AT&T instead. I believe the 2210 will work properly with ADSL2+.

2. Obtain an older 2Wire 2701HG-B.

3. If U-Verse IPTV is offered in your area, sign up for TV service. A technician will come out and replace the modem with a 2Wire 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, or i3812V. After a month, cancel the TV service and keep only Internet. They will let you keep the 2Wire router.
Let's be clear -- there are two main types of VPN in use today:

1. Microsoft PPTP VPN, which uses port 1723 TCP for negotiation, and IP type 47 (GRE) for tunneled data.

2. IKE-IPSEC VPN (Cisco routers as well as most other VPN implementations), which uses UDP port 500 for key negotiation and IP type 50 (ESP) for tunneled data.

The problem with the NVG510 is not TCP port 1723 nor the UDP port 500. These are TCP/IP ports that it's NAT code properly handles. The issue is the other IP packets (type 47/50). Those packets cannot be subjected to NAT, and require specific helper code in the routing engine to get them transported. The NVG510 lacks the required helper code (i.e. bad firmware) thus those protocols don't work.

There are a couple roundabout ways you might try to get out of using the Motorola NVG510. I cannot guarantee that any of these suggestions will work:

1. Obtain a Motorola 2210 from AT&T instead. I believe the 2210 will work properly with ADSL2+.

2. Obtain an older 2Wire 2701HG-B.

3. If U-Verse IPTV is offered in your area, sign up for TV service. A technician will come out and replace the modem with a 2Wire 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, or i3812V. After a month, cancel the TV service and keep only Internet. They will let you keep the 2Wire router.

36 of 54 (5,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 5:50:09 AM
(0)
Guru

You know, I do respect SomeJoe7777 for his expertise, but just look at this thread stretching four pages, and the solution above. And the NVG510 is AT&T's BRAND NEW "solution" for DSL and stretched-out areas of Uverse DSL. Think on that for a minute ---- they just transitioned to the NVG510 last year, and it looks like it does absolutely nothing different than the previous Moto proprietary-build workhorse used for almost 10 years. 2003 technology in 2012.

Yet another indication of how much AT&T really cares about everything besides their wireless business.

I know the AT&T fanboys will flame me for saying this, but if you're using your HSI for business and running VPNs, why would you pay what they're asking when the cable companies are bending over backwards for their business customers? Without all of this, at the same or a cheaper rate -- I know for a fact Comcast's IS cheaper speed-wise, and with no cap.

Double facepalm, AT&T.

You know, I do respect SomeJoe7777 for his expertise, but just look at this thread stretching four pages, and the solution above. And the NVG510 is AT&T's BRAND NEW "solution" for DSL and stretched-out areas of Uverse DSL. Think on that for a minute ---- they just transitioned to the NVG510 last year, and it looks like it does absolutely nothing different than the previous Moto proprietary-build workhorse used for almost 10 years. 2003 technology in 2012.

Yet another indication of how much AT&T really cares about everything besides their wireless business.

I know the AT&T fanboys will flame me for saying this, but if you're using your HSI for business and running VPNs, why would you pay what they're asking when the cable companies are bending over backwards for their business customers? Without all of this, at the same or a cheaper rate -- I know for a fact Comcast's IS cheaper speed-wise, and with no cap.

Double facepalm, AT&T.

37 of 54 (5,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 7:38:14 AM
(0)
Expert

jbdet313 wrote:

Double facepalm, AT&T.

jbdet313 wrote:

Double facepalm, AT&T.

38 of 54 (5,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 8:43:13 PM
(0)
Guru

LOL .... I just so happen to have one as well:

LOL .... I just so happen to have one as well:

39 of 54 (5,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 11:23:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

Nice examples, guys. Smiley LOL

Nice examples, guys. Smiley LOL

40 of 54 (5,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 6:50:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had DSL working great for about six years. It was completely reliable and I never had any connectivity issues. I upgraded to U-Verse in December and I have been fighting this PPTP VPN issue with the NVG 510 ever since. This is unacceptable and shows that Motorola and AT&T don't understand what their customers really need. If there is a bug in firmware, it seems that three months would be enough time to get a fix to customers.

PPTP is still in wide use and it is important for people who need to work from home. 

I am going to wait another two weeks to see if they patch the firmware, otherwise I am ordering Comcast and cancelling my U-Verse account.

I had DSL working great for about six years. It was completely reliable and I never had any connectivity issues. I upgraded to U-Verse in December and I have been fighting this PPTP VPN issue with the NVG 510 ever since. This is unacceptable and shows that Motorola and AT&T don't understand what their customers really need. If there is a bug in firmware, it seems that three months would be enough time to get a fix to customers.

PPTP is still in wide use and it is important for people who need to work from home. 

I am going to wait another two weeks to see if they patch the firmware, otherwise I am ordering Comcast and cancelling my U-Verse account.

41 of 54 (5,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2012 5:35:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

I really just think AT&T has become one of those "too big to fail" entities. Despite complaint after complaint and meeting the criteria to be one of the top 10 "most hated companies" for several years, AT&T's revenue just keeps rising. How does that happen with so many supposedly unhappy customers???

As long as their revenue keeps up to expectations, they have no incentive to change their business practices. It's clear that regardless of apparent hatred, people just keep giving AT&T their business. I personally would've jumped ship two years ago - if my apartment complex had any other viable option for Internet access. So, I'm one of the people who hates AT&T, but I'm stuck with them. The rest of you who have other options? What the heck are you hanging around for???

I really just think AT&T has become one of those "too big to fail" entities. Despite complaint after complaint and meeting the criteria to be one of the top 10 "most hated companies" for several years, AT&T's revenue just keeps rising. How does that happen with so many supposedly unhappy customers???

As long as their revenue keeps up to expectations, they have no incentive to change their business practices. It's clear that regardless of apparent hatred, people just keep giving AT&T their business. I personally would've jumped ship two years ago - if my apartment complex had any other viable option for Internet access. So, I'm one of the people who hates AT&T, but I'm stuck with them. The rest of you who have other options? What the heck are you hanging around for???

42 of 54 (5,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2012 2:48:48 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by kks054419 on Feb 11, 2012 at 2:51:40 PM

I upgraded from my DSL to 3M ATT U-verse 2 weeks ago and got this NVG510 gateway. I am able to connect but unable to PPTP VPN to my office. I have been on the phone with their support and they try to charged me 15.00 for PC support. I denied and then I go to ebay and purchased the motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem. It works right away with VPN. If you only need U-verse internet, dump this gateway and return within 30 days. It only cost 20.00 in ebay. For 100.00 on NVG510 gateway and without VPN, it is too much. Also, it is a waste of time to change the config. It is better to show ATT their equipment suck.

I upgraded from my DSL to 3M ATT U-verse 2 weeks ago and got this NVG510 gateway. I am able to connect but unable to PPTP VPN to my office. I have been on the phone with their support and they try to charged me 15.00 for PC support. I denied and then I go to ebay and purchased the motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem. It works right away with VPN. If you only need U-verse internet, dump this gateway and return within 30 days. It only cost 20.00 in ebay. For 100.00 on NVG510 gateway and without VPN, it is too much. Also, it is a waste of time to change the config. It is better to show ATT their equipment suck.

Re: PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorolla NVG510

[ Edited ]
43 of 54 (5,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2012 2:58:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'd rather show AT&T they suck by cancelling them entirely.  Their lack of attention in this matter has been unacceptable.

Comcast Business Class will be here Tuesday. Smiley Happy

I'd rather show AT&T they suck by cancelling them entirely.  Their lack of attention in this matter has been unacceptable.

Comcast Business Class will be here Tuesday. Smiley Happy

44 of 54 (5,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2012 1:03:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

@kks054419

Thanks so much for the wonderful tip to by the Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem off Ebay! I purchased one for $12 bucks off Ebay. I received it and hooked it up and now the VPN I've been struggling with for months on the NVG510 is working fine. I just went into the 2210 "Connection Configuration" and changed the setting "Let LAN device share Internet address?" to "Yes, use public IP address"

@kks054419

Thanks so much for the wonderful tip to by the Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem off Ebay! I purchased one for $12 bucks off Ebay. I received it and hooked it up and now the VPN I've been struggling with for months on the NVG510 is working fine. I just went into the 2210 "Connection Configuration" and changed the setting "Let LAN device share Internet address?" to "Yes, use public IP address"

45 of 54 (5,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2012 8:29:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

At this time, forget trying to get PPTP based vpns working with just an NVG510. I'm using firmware 9.0.6h0d48.

A PPTP based vpn uses TCP port 1723 and IP protocol 47 (GRE). Put simply, the NVG510 will not pass the GRE protocol from a client machine through its NAT to the WAN. Note that the NAT/Gaming settings are only for INBOUND connections from the WAN ie not relevant to initiating a PPTP vpn within the NVG510's LAN. An IPSec based VPN does not use GRE but rather other IP protocols (including port 500) and it works fine.

The only way to support a PPTP based vpn appears to be to use a secondary router with the NVG510 is passhrough mode since Passthrough does pass GRE. Thats what I've had to do.

At this time, forget trying to get PPTP based vpns working with just an NVG510. I'm using firmware 9.0.6h0d48.

A PPTP based vpn uses TCP port 1723 and IP protocol 47 (GRE). Put simply, the NVG510 will not pass the GRE protocol from a client machine through its NAT to the WAN. Note that the NAT/Gaming settings are only for INBOUND connections from the WAN ie not relevant to initiating a PPTP vpn within the NVG510's LAN. An IPSec based VPN does not use GRE but rather other IP protocols (including port 500) and it works fine.

The only way to support a PPTP based vpn appears to be to use a secondary router with the NVG510 is passhrough mode since Passthrough does pass GRE. Thats what I've had to do.

46 of 54 (5,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2012 9:04:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

Could you please explain how to setup a secondary router. I have ATT DSL router will that work?

Could you please explain how to setup a secondary router. I have ATT DSL router will that work?

47 of 54 (5,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 12:55:39 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:26:26 AM

Mid-April now, and still no firmware updates for this {word filter evasion}. Nice job, ATT... (this would be a perfect place to use a 'sarcasm' font...)

Mid-April now, and still no firmware updates for this {word filter evasion}. Nice job, ATT... (this would be a perfect place to use a 'sarcasm' font...)

[ Edited ]
48 of 54 (5,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2012 2:35:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had been using my workaround to use VPN on my NVG510 for the past few months, but just recently, even the workaround stopped working.

I found a "workaround to the workaround", which is working for me, but is still rather annoying and time consuming to do.

What I did was:

1) go into the NVG510 router menu 

2) Click on Firewall at the top, then click on IP Passthrough

3) Enter the access code for your NVG510

4) You will now be at the IP Passthrough menu screen

5) For Allocation mode, select "None"

6) Hit "Save"

7) The screen will state "Changes Saved" and to restart the device. Restart the NVG510 router

8) Reboot your client machine.  Completely shut it down, then power it back on.

9) When rebooted, go back into the NVG510 router menu

10) Click on the Firewall at the top, then click on IP Passthrough

11) Enter the access code for your NVG510

12) You will now be at the IP Passthrough menu screen

13) For Allocation mode, select "Passthrough"

14) This should revert to your previous passthrough settings.  You should not need to enter anything else, as they are already populated

15) Hit "Save".  DON'T RESTART YOUR NVG510.  It will tell you the changes are saved, and restart, but DON'T restart the NVG510!  If you do, you still won't be able to VPN.

16) Restart your client computer.  Completely shut it down, then power it back on.

17) Log in as usual.  Connect to VPN, and it should work again.

I've found that this works, but after a couple days, it will for some reason stop allowing the VPN to pass through, and I have to repeat steps 1-17 again, and it will work.

If this didn't work for you, try doing a factory reset, then do steps 1-17.  I've had to do that once as well, because nothing worked, but after doing the factory reset, then steps 1-17, it worked again.

I hope this helps people out there where the workaround stopped working.  Now I just wish they'd come out with the firmware update so I can stop doing this.

I had been using my workaround to use VPN on my NVG510 for the past few months, but just recently, even the workaround stopped working.

I found a "workaround to the workaround", which is working for me, but is still rather annoying and time consuming to do.

What I did was:

1) go into the NVG510 router menu 

2) Click on Firewall at the top, then click on IP Passthrough

3) Enter the access code for your NVG510

4) You will now be at the IP Passthrough menu screen

5) For Allocation mode, select "None"

6) Hit "Save"

7) The screen will state "Changes Saved" and to restart the device. Restart the NVG510 router

8) Reboot your client machine.  Completely shut it down, then power it back on.

9) When rebooted, go back into the NVG510 router menu

10) Click on the Firewall at the top, then click on IP Passthrough

11) Enter the access code for your NVG510

12) You will now be at the IP Passthrough menu screen

13) For Allocation mode, select "Passthrough"

14) This should revert to your previous passthrough settings.  You should not need to enter anything else, as they are already populated

15) Hit "Save".  DON'T RESTART YOUR NVG510.  It will tell you the changes are saved, and restart, but DON'T restart the NVG510!  If you do, you still won't be able to VPN.

16) Restart your client computer.  Completely shut it down, then power it back on.

17) Log in as usual.  Connect to VPN, and it should work again.

I've found that this works, but after a couple days, it will for some reason stop allowing the VPN to pass through, and I have to repeat steps 1-17 again, and it will work.

If this didn't work for you, try doing a factory reset, then do steps 1-17.  I've had to do that once as well, because nothing worked, but after doing the factory reset, then steps 1-17, it worked again.

I hope this helps people out there where the workaround stopped working.  Now I just wish they'd come out with the firmware update so I can stop doing this.

49 of 54 (4,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2012 11:12:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

Apparently, something has changed as I can now connect via PPTP to my network VPN. I'm pretty sure that ATT updated the firmware and I now have version 9.0.6h2d21. Anyone else able to connect now?

Apparently, something has changed as I can now connect via PPTP to my network VPN. I'm pretty sure that ATT updated the firmware and I now have version 9.0.6h2d21. Anyone else able to connect now?

50 of 54 (4,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2012 11:17:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

I switched modems to the older Motorola IP-DSLAM modem.

Upon switching several months ago, all my connectivity issues immediately went away, and I haven't turned back since!

I switched modems to the older Motorola IP-DSLAM modem.

Upon switching several months ago, all my connectivity issues immediately went away, and I haven't turned back since!

51 of 54 (4,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2012 11:30:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have just tested, and can confirm that PPTP VPNs work for me also, without using the passthrough workaround.

Finally.

I have just tested, and can confirm that PPTP VPNs work for me also, without using the passthrough workaround.

Finally.

52 of 54 (4,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 1:37:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

hello all i am new here and i am happy to be a part of such a technological discussion i was also finding a issue about pptp vpn and i get the information i think this PPTP VPN article helps you check this

Thanks

Regards

Haris Altaf

hello all i am new here and i am happy to be a part of such a technological discussion i was also finding a issue about pptp vpn and i get the information i think this PPTP VPN article helps you check this

Thanks

Regards

Haris Altaf

53 of 54 (3,394 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2013 9:42:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the information, but I'm not sure how pertinent this is to the issue we were discussing. The issue we were having was that PPTP was being blocked by the NVG despite the configuration showing that it wasn't. After the latest firmware update, PPTP is now being allowed through the NVG.

Thanks for the information, but I'm not sure how pertinent this is to the issue we were discussing. The issue we were having was that PPTP was being blocked by the NVG despite the configuration showing that it wasn't. After the latest firmware update, PPTP is now being allowed through the NVG.

54 of 54 (3,358 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments