For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Filbert66's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 6:32 PM

PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorolla NVG510

Hello,

I can run an IPsec VPN, but the PPTP VPN falis to work since I got U-verse with this modem (used to work over DSL). Does anyone know of a VPN passthrough setting for the NVG510 ? 

I run MacOS Lion 10.7.2, and my IPsec client only works in 32 bit mode. Want to be able to run in 64 bit mode with native Apple PPTP VPN client. I've confirmed that the PPTP VPN fails to work now on my 10.6 machine, so it's the AT&T modem, not Lion.

When I contacted AT&T support to ask for details, I first got bounced to a different chat session, then was told to call a number, and then was told that only "Special Services" knows how to deal with VPNs, then the first person I spoke to there didn't know what a VPN was. On insisting for someone who knew what that was, I was given a manager who then told me that I was required to pay for help. Pay for something that AT&T broke?! No, thank you, I said. She politely offered to transfer me back to the first people (U verse support) who know nothing about VPNs, and I agreed in order to try at least to get a modem manual and CD. But on transferring, I was disconnected! 

Further details from Console:

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP connection established.

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connect: ppp0 <--> socket[34:17]

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connection terminated.

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnecting...

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnected

From what I've been able to determine, the modem is not forwarding GRE protocol packets, but can't figure out how to enable that on the modem.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

I really just think AT&T has become one of those "too big to fail" entities. Despite complaint after complaint and meeting the criteria to be one of the top 10 "most hated companies" for several years, AT&T's revenue just keeps rising. How does that happen with so many supposedly unhappy customers???

As long as their revenue keeps up to expectations, they have no incentive to change their business practices. It's clear that regardless of apparent hatred, people just keep giving AT&T their business. I personally would've jumped ship two years ago - if my apartment complex had any other viable option for Internet access. So, I'm one of the people who hates AT&T, but I'm stuck with them. The rest of you who have other options? What the heck are you hanging around for???

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I upgraded from my DSL to 3M ATT U-verse 2 weeks ago and got this NVG510 gateway. I am able to connect but unable to PPTP VPN to my office. I have been on the phone with their support and they try to charged me 15.00 for PC support. I denied and then I go to ebay and purchased the motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem. It works right away with VPN. If you only need U-verse internet, dump this gateway and return within 30 days. It only cost 20.00 in ebay. For 100.00 on NVG510 gateway and without VPN, it is too much. Also, it is a waste of time to change the config. It is better to show ATT their equipment suck.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I'd rather show AT&T they suck by cancelling them entirely.  Their lack of attention in this matter has been unacceptable.

Comcast Business Class will be here Tuesday. 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

@kks054419

Thanks so much for the wonderful tip to by the Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem off Ebay! I purchased one for $12 bucks off Ebay. I received it and hooked it up and now the VPN I've been struggling with for months on the NVG510 is working fine. I just went into the 2210 "Connection Configuration" and changed the setting "Let LAN device share Internet address?" to "Yes, use public IP address"

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

At this time, forget trying to get PPTP based vpns working with just an NVG510. I'm using firmware 9.0.6h0d48.

A PPTP based vpn uses TCP port 1723 and IP protocol 47 (GRE). Put simply, the NVG510 will not pass the GRE protocol from a client machine through its NAT to the WAN. Note that the NAT/Gaming settings are only for INBOUND connections from the WAN ie not relevant to initiating a PPTP vpn within the NVG510's LAN. An IPSec based VPN does not use GRE but rather other IP protocols (including port 500) and it works fine.

The only way to support a PPTP based vpn appears to be to use a secondary router with the NVG510 is passhrough mode since Passthrough does pass GRE. Thats what I've had to do.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Could you please explain how to setup a secondary router. I have ATT DSL router will that work?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Mid-April now, and still no firmware updates for this {word filter evasion}. Nice job, ATT... (this would be a perfect place to use a 'sarcasm' font...)

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I had been using my workaround to use VPN on my NVG510 for the past few months, but just recently, even the workaround stopped working.

I found a "workaround to the workaround", which is working for me, but is still rather annoying and time consuming to do.

What I did was:

1) go into the NVG510 router menu 

2) Click on Firewall at the top, then click on IP Passthrough

3) Enter the access code for your NVG510

4) You will now be at the IP Passthrough menu screen

5) For Allocation mode, select "None"

6) Hit "Save"

7) The screen will state "Changes Saved" and to restart the device. Restart the NVG510 router

😎 Reboot your client machine.  Completely shut it down, then power it back on.

9) When rebooted, go back into the NVG510 router menu

10) Click on the Firewall at the top, then click on IP Passthrough

11) Enter the access code for your NVG510

12) You will now be at the IP Passthrough menu screen

13) For Allocation mode, select "Passthrough"

14) This should revert to your previous passthrough settings.  You should not need to enter anything else, as they are already populated

15) Hit "Save".  DON'T RESTART YOUR NVG510.  It will tell you the changes are saved, and restart, but DON'T restart the NVG510!  If you do, you still won't be able to VPN.

16) Restart your client computer.  Completely shut it down, then power it back on.

17) Log in as usual.  Connect to VPN, and it should work again.

I've found that this works, but after a couple days, it will for some reason stop allowing the VPN to pass through, and I have to repeat steps 1-17 again, and it will work.

If this didn't work for you, try doing a factory reset, then do steps 1-17.  I've had to do that once as well, because nothing worked, but after doing the factory reset, then steps 1-17, it worked again.

I hope this helps people out there where the workaround stopped working.  Now I just wish they'd come out with the firmware update so I can stop doing this.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Apparently, something has changed as I can now connect via PPTP to my network VPN. I'm pretty sure that ATT updated the firmware and I now have version 9.0.6h2d21. Anyone else able to connect now?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I switched modems to the older Motorola IP-DSLAM modem.

Upon switching several months ago, all my connectivity issues immediately went away, and I haven't turned back since!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.