Filbert66's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 6:32 PM

PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorolla NVG510

Hello,

I can run an IPsec VPN, but the PPTP VPN falis to work since I got U-verse with this modem (used to work over DSL). Does anyone know of a VPN passthrough setting for the NVG510 ? 

I run MacOS Lion 10.7.2, and my IPsec client only works in 32 bit mode. Want to be able to run in 64 bit mode with native Apple PPTP VPN client. I've confirmed that the PPTP VPN fails to work now on my 10.6 machine, so it's the AT&T modem, not Lion.

When I contacted AT&T support to ask for details, I first got bounced to a different chat session, then was told to call a number, and then was told that only "Special Services" knows how to deal with VPNs, then the first person I spoke to there didn't know what a VPN was. On insisting for someone who knew what that was, I was given a manager who then told me that I was required to pay for help. Pay for something that AT&T broke?! No, thank you, I said. She politely offered to transfer me back to the first people (U verse support) who know nothing about VPNs, and I agreed in order to try at least to get a modem manual and CD. But on transferring, I was disconnected! 

Further details from Console:

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP connection established.

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connect: ppp0 <--> socket[34:17]

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connection terminated.

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnecting...

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnected

From what I've been able to determine, the modem is not forwarding GRE protocol packets, but can't figure out how to enable that on the modem.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

this entire fiasco has me thinking about switching to comcast.  this is 2012, is it really so difficult for ISP's to wrap their heads around the notion that many people work from home and require business class service?  their support has been appalling.

which begs the question if comcast would be any better.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Amazing... I called back on the 9th.  told them I HAD to have VPN access and do NOT sent a NVG510.  I had played with one at someone's house and could not get it to work.  I was told they would send me an old 2 wire modem.  Ok...signed up...  Told would be done on 16th.   16th gone and went by.  I called them on 17th.  OHHHH  Now it is the 20th, thanks for the info.   So stayed home on the 20th to catch it.   hmmm hmmm..  20th goes by...  No go.  Called on 21st.  OHHH  it would not be there until 26th...  Again, nice notification...  Get a knock on the door at 8pm on 25th.  My router is here.  I am pumped to finally get my internet back on.  I recently moved.   Open the box and I find a NVG510 in the box.  Amazing.

Call them and got transferred all over.  Finally with retention group....  retention means they are trying to retain your business.  Anyway, summing up my 1 hour on the phone.  I was told by the ATT rep that the NVG510 does not work with VPN, sorry.  They canceled my service that I had connected and I am now looking again.

Amazing....

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

What's even funnier is they provide this for their business class customers too..

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I found this out the hard way, too - and it's costing me time (=money). As a tax software programmer, I do MOST of my work this time of year from home at night. I NEED to VPN into my office for things occasionally - quite regularly, actually. I'd been doing so just fine with my prior 2wire gateway from ATT. However, upon switching to Uverse, I too got saddled with an NVG510 - only to find its DNS issues and VPN failure (both of which fall into the 'not my problem' department, but I've already invested quite a bit of time into it.).

This is plainly and simply a software issue with the firmware in the unit - and moreover, and epic FAILURE on the part of ATT and/or Motorola. As far as the VPN is concerned, VPN traffic runs on port 1723. It's not that it WON'T work with VPN; it WOULD... but the darned thing will not let you OPEN port 1723. It SAYS that it's open, but it doesn't work. FAIL. Further, apparently, AT&T (and/or Motorola) doesn't seem to give a rip about it... this has gone on for months - firmware updates promised - and still NOTHING. (what's even cooler... I call att and ask about using another modem - only to be told that Uverse ONLY runs on an NVG510. nice...)

Disgusted.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Let's be clear -- there are two main types of VPN in use today:

1. Microsoft PPTP VPN, which uses port 1723 TCP for negotiation, and IP type 47 (GRE) for tunneled data.

2. IKE-IPSEC VPN (Cisco routers as well as most other VPN implementations), which uses UDP port 500 for key negotiation and IP type 50 (ESP) for tunneled data.

The problem with the NVG510 is not TCP port 1723 nor the UDP port 500. These are TCP/IP ports that it's NAT code properly handles. The issue is the other IP packets (type 47/50). Those packets cannot be subjected to NAT, and require specific helper code in the routing engine to get them transported. The NVG510 lacks the required helper code (i.e. bad firmware) thus those protocols don't work.

There are a couple roundabout ways you might try to get out of using the Motorola NVG510. I cannot guarantee that any of these suggestions will work:

1. Obtain a Motorola 2210 from AT&T instead. I believe the 2210 will work properly with ADSL2+.

2. Obtain an older 2Wire 2701HG-B.

3. If U-Verse IPTV is offered in your area, sign up for TV service. A technician will come out and replace the modem with a 2Wire 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, or i3812V. After a month, cancel the TV service and keep only Internet. They will let you keep the 2Wire router.

Guru

• 

650 Messages

12 years ago

You know, I do respect SomeJoe7777 for his expertise, but just look at this thread stretching four pages, and the solution above. And the NVG510 is AT&T's BRAND NEW "solution" for DSL and stretched-out areas of Uverse DSL. Think on that for a minute ---- they just transitioned to the NVG510 last year, and it looks like it does absolutely nothing different than the previous Moto proprietary-build workhorse used for almost 10 years. 2003 technology in 2012.

Yet another indication of how much AT&T really cares about everything besides their wireless business.

I know the AT&T fanboys will flame me for saying this, but if you're using your HSI for business and running VPNs, why would you pay what they're asking when the cable companies are bending over backwards for their business customers? Without all of this, at the same or a cheaper rate -- I know for a fact Comcast's IS cheaper speed-wise, and with no cap.

Double facepalm, AT&T.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@jbdet313 wrote:

Double facepalm, AT&T.

Guru

• 

650 Messages

12 years ago

LOL .... I just so happen to have one as well:

doublefacepalm.jpg

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

Nice examples, guys. Smiley LOL

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I had DSL working great for about six years. It was completely reliable and I never had any connectivity issues. I upgraded to U-Verse in December and I have been fighting this PPTP VPN issue with the NVG 510 ever since. This is unacceptable and shows that Motorola and AT&T don't understand what their customers really need. If there is a bug in firmware, it seems that three months would be enough time to get a fix to customers.

PPTP is still in wide use and it is important for people who need to work from home. 

I am going to wait another two weeks to see if they patch the firmware, otherwise I am ordering Comcast and cancelling my U-Verse account.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.