Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 2, 2011
11:45:44 PM
Noisy line - UV Realtime pics
Edited by rottielover on Sep 2, 2011 at 11:50:59 PM

Hoping to catch SomeJoe's attention...   Apologize in advance if these pic's don't come out right, first post.

Profile Page

Error Table

Interfaces

Bitloading

As I understand the documentation, this is a very noisy line...  Remarkably, I'm still pulling 11.5 ish down and 1 up on speedtest.net

What if anything should I look into as far as correcting things?

2nd question on the Channels / Streams tab:   I'm running a config as referanced in your section 3, router behind gateway.  I have a Dlink DGL-4500 "gaming" router, capable of some limited multicast routing.  Just wondering if there's anything that can be done so that I can have my cake and eat it too (see the STB's even though I have a router between my PC and the gateway)...   With the capabilities of this router, I would think I should be able to get it working...

Hoping to catch SomeJoe's attention...   Apologize in advance if these pic's don't come out right, first post.

Profile Page

Error Table

Interfaces

Bitloading

As I understand the documentation, this is a very noisy line...  Remarkably, I'm still pulling 11.5 ish down and 1 up on speedtest.net

What if anything should I look into as far as correcting things?

2nd question on the Channels / Streams tab:   I'm running a config as referanced in your section 3, router behind gateway.  I have a Dlink DGL-4500 "gaming" router, capable of some limited multicast routing.  Just wondering if there's anything that can be done so that I can have my cake and eat it too (see the STB's even though I have a router between my PC and the gateway)...   With the capabilities of this router, I would think I should be able to get it working...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 4, 2011 8:28:10 AM
(0)
Expert

Here's a diagram showing how you can set it up so that Channels/Streams works behind another router.

2Wire RG
   Coax  ------------ DVR/STB #1
   Eth 1 ------------ STB #2
   Eth 2 ------------ STB #3
   Eth 3
   Eth 4 ----+
             |        NetGear
             |        GS-108T              D-Link
             |        Switch               DGL-4500
             +---------- Eth 1             Router
                         Eth 2 -------------- WAN
                         Eth 3                LAN 1 -------- Computer 1
                         Eth 4                LAN 2 -------- Computer 2
                         Eth 5                LAN 3
                         Eth 6                LAN 4 ---+
                         Eth 7                         |
                         Eth 8 ------------------------+

NetGear GS-108T Ethernet port 8 is set to be the mirror port for Ethernet port 1.  Multicast packets coming into the NetGear switch on port 1 from the 2Wire RG are mirrored and repeated out port 8, which enters your LAN through port 4 of the D-Link.  Your computers can now see the necessary multicast report packets that the STBs sent out, yet no IPTV stream comes to the NetGear switch or the D-Link thanks to IGMP snooping on the 2Wire.

To make sure this works right, it's imperative that the RG's LAN is a different IP subnet than your D-Link's LAN.  You probably have already set it up this way, but if it's not, your computers will bypass your D-Link when attempting to reach the Internet.  If you really want to make sure nothing can bypass the D-Link, you can also configure the NetGear switch to put port 8 in a separate VLAN with a separate PVID.

Accepted Solution

Noisy line - UV Realtime pics

[ Edited ]
38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 7:38:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

Re: Noisy line - UV Realtime pics

31 of 39 (1,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 8:47:17 PM
(0)
Expert
Ya, that looks way better. Occasional corrected blocks are not a cause for concern, nearly every line occasionally rings up some corrected blocks once in a while.

You're showing no uncorrected blocks or or other signal loss errors, which is great. I'd say your line looks to be fixed.
Ya, that looks way better. Occasional corrected blocks are not a cause for concern, nearly every line occasionally rings up some corrected blocks once in a while.

You're showing no uncorrected blocks or or other signal loss errors, which is great. I'd say your line looks to be fixed.

32 of 39 (1,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 6:01:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

Just wanted to say "Thank you" to all those who helped me out on this!!!

Just wanted to say "Thank you" to all those who helped me out on this!!!

33 of 39 (1,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 6:32:43 PM
(0)
Expert
Excellent, glad everything's working!
Excellent, glad everything's working!

34 of 39 (1,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 12:35:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

Smiley Sad    uhg.

My wife called me this morning to tell me that the TV and Phones are working, but that the internet is not.

When I get home from work, I'll investigate, in the mean time, does anyone know of any outages or localized problems in the St. Louis Area?

Smiley Sad    uhg.

My wife called me this morning to tell me that the TV and Phones are working, but that the internet is not.

When I get home from work, I'll investigate, in the mean time, does anyone know of any outages or localized problems in the St. Louis Area?

35 of 39 (1,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 6:03:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

we had a vrad port go out - they fixed everyone and my stats went from 38K (32/5 profile 2200ft) to 45K (32/5 profile 2100ft) - same wires. i was barely on 32/5 and now i have 87% (before as high as 110% overallocated) 3801 was the only way to get 32/5 profile the 3800 couldn't do it back then.

we had a vrad port go out - they fixed everyone and my stats went from 38K (32/5 profile 2200ft) to 45K (32/5 profile 2100ft) - same wires. i was barely on 32/5 and now i have 87% (before as high as 110% overallocated) 3801 was the only way to get 32/5 profile the 3800 couldn't do it back then.

36 of 39 (1,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 6:35:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

Interesting...

Sorry for the delay'd response.  By the time I got home, internet was working again.  I checked all the router stats with UVRealtime but nothing showed up.  In fact the error table was only showing about 2k corrected blocks.

I have no idea what happened. 

Keeping an eye on things.

Interesting...

Sorry for the delay'd response.  By the time I got home, internet was working again.  I checked all the router stats with UVRealtime but nothing showed up.  In fact the error table was only showing about 2k corrected blocks.

I have no idea what happened. 

Keeping an eye on things.

37 of 39 (991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2012 1:58:53 AM
(0)
Voyager

Somejoe : Power Level" power level @ the house ? or Power level from the Vrad?

My Noise Margin and attenuation can be improve right?

It's only 15 foot of cat5 running to the router:  thanks for checking it outl

Somejoe : Power Level" power level @ the house ? or Power level from the Vrad?

My Noise Margin and attenuation can be improve right?

It's only 15 foot of cat5 running to the router:  thanks for checking it outl

38 of 39 (802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2012 10:36:03 PM
(0)
Expert
Power levels are reported the same as the RG reports them. While I don't have confirmation on this, I believe that the power levels are referenced at the RG. e.g. The downstream power level is the power level on the line as received at the RG, and the upstream power level is the power level on the line as it leaves the RG.

Your line looks like you may have an attenuator installed because you're very close to the VRAD. The values reported are normal for an installation with an attenuator.

I don't think anything needs to be done. To verify, just watch the error table to ensure that an unusual number of errors aren't accumulating.
Power levels are reported the same as the RG reports them. While I don't have confirmation on this, I believe that the power levels are referenced at the RG. e.g. The downstream power level is the power level on the line as received at the RG, and the upstream power level is the power level on the line as it leaves the RG.

Your line looks like you may have an attenuator installed because you're very close to the VRAD. The values reported are normal for an installation with an attenuator.

I don't think anything needs to be done. To verify, just watch the error table to ensure that an unusual number of errors aren't accumulating.

39 of 39 (770 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments