MolPharm's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, October 11th, 2013 10:17 PM

New firmware 6.9.1.42-plus.tm breaks wireless to ethernet bridge in router.

Hi,

Model   3800HGV-B

Hardware Version           2700-100531-006

Software Version             6.9.1.42-plus.tm

I will try to keep this short.  I am not having problems with internet access.  I am running windows 7 on laptop until today I could connect to my NAS which is hardwired to the RG.   Today I could not see any other devices on my network when connecting wirelessly.  Use a network cable everything is working.  Do all of the usual stuff to fix problem.  Restart everything did not work.  Rolled back to earlier in week because there had been a lot of updates, did not work.  I then went to the home page of the RG and noticed it looked different. That is when I figured out the firmware had been updated to 6.9.1.42-plus.tm.  When connecting wireless I cannot ping anything on the network other than the RG.  I decided that the new firmware broke the wireless to ethernet bridge in the router.  To see if this is the case I setup a new wireless access point and connected it to the RG.  I set the AP up as DHCP forwarder so the RG would assign IP address.  When I make a connection this new AP the RG assigns my laptop an IP address and I can connect to the NAS.  When I check the RG it shows my laptop as an Ethernet connection as expected ( it is not aware of the AP).  I can ping any other device on the network.  So based on this I think the new firmware breaks the wireless to Ethernet bridge or perhaps it isolates the wireless from the Ethernet.  Like I said I could connect with the internet without problem.  Tried to call support, what a waste of time.  They wanted to charge me for some 3rd party support.  For now I will leave the new AP on.  I may eventually turn off the RG radio and replace the AP with a wireless N version as soon as I figure out which would be best using DD-WRT.

Any Thoughts?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Sometimes I've seen the U-Verse gateways do strange things. The wireless and Ethernet should definitely be bridged together, the new firmware did not change that. Many people are running the new firmware now and have bridged connections as always.

I recommend you factory-reset the gateway to the defaults using the button at the bottom if this page:

http://192.168.161.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_7

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi SomeJoe7777

I will give this a try.  I have not tired it to this point because I will need to copy my firewall rules and i did not know how long it will take the RG to reprovision.  During that time I will lose my non Uverse IP phone service.  I will try it today.

Thanks,

MolePharm

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi SomeJoe7777,

I did the reset.   I can now see my entire network from a wireless connection to the RG.  The only thing I forgot to backup before the reset was my list of MAC address for MAC filtering.  I have a new public IP so I need to make some changes to my VPN settings.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

MolPharm

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Cool, glad it's working!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Gentleman,

I am pretty sure I am having similar problems.  Until recently, I have been able to back up a WD My Book Live (via Mac) and Sonos (sound system) connected to my RG.  All of a sudden, nothing is able to be found.  Same for me my internet works, all devices can connect to RG but these 'extended' items are no longer findable.

I attempted selecting the link you provided to set to factory default but it would not come up.  Any other suggestions on how to all my RG to allow these devices to be recognized??

Please help and thanks!

Eric

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

ericdmcconnell -
The link must have an error - use http://192.168.1.254/ & click site map & resets to get there

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Hello, I too am having problems with my SONOS system now not working.  I am not a very technical person so can you tell me what I need to do to reset, or prior to resetting?  I don't want to reset and not be able to connect to my wireless network etc, i.e. passwords and stuff.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.