selena1978's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, May 2nd, 2011 12:25 AM

New Vonage service freezes my cable?

Does anyone know how to stop my cable from freezing while hooked up with the Vonage router? I connected everything according to directions and the phone worked just fine. The cable came up but after a few seconds freezes up. I can pull up the guide and switch channels but it again does the same. I spent 45 mins on the line trouble shooting and rebooting but with no success. Any direction on this is much appreciated;) thank you!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

You will need to modify your setup slightly from what Vonage recommends.  They want you to plug the Vonage terminal adapter (TA) into your modem, and then plug all your devices into the Vonage TA (or into a switch that's plugged into the Vonage TA).  This connection method doesn't work with U-Verse.

Instead, plug all your U-Verse devices into the 2Wire router as you had them before.  Then connect an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire router to the WAN port of the Vonage TA.  Don't plug anything else into the Vonage TA except phones.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Do you have cable or do you have Uverse television service?  Uverse is IPTV not cable.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Many people call the U-verse TV capability cable. As RCSMG points out it is not.

Most houses start out wired for telephone. U-verse service is added by coming into the house on the same telephone wires. The U-verse service is distributed through the house on either existing telephone wires, existing or new COAX or cat5 network wires.

I believe the vonage box wants a network connection ( e.g. cat5) on the line side and a telephone connection on the drop.

If you connect the telephone side to telephone wires that are still connected to wiring used for U-verse service it most likely will kill the TV signal. Not sure why it did not kill the Vonage signal.

Many folks have been succesful in making changes to their u-verse service without problems. Same for hooking up Vonage. Sometimes you just have to know what is in your walls.

Or, try  just one phone on the Vonage. You say you only have one. How about the line side? Did you plug that in to one of the four network connections on the RG?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

WOW! THANK YOU so much!Smiley Very Happy I can't  believe how easy of a tweak that was..especially since I spent so much time with customer service...You are awesome thanks!

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

[...]
Instead, plug all your U-Verse devices into the 2Wire router as you had them before.  Then connect an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire router to the WAN port of the Vonage TA.  Don't plug anything else into the Vonage TA except phones.

I wouldn't usually hijack a thread, but since this one is solved...

Joe, I was on AT&T DSL service before switching to Uverse.  My DSL modem was just one of seven other devices plugged into my eight port switch.  When I got Uverse the installer tried to plug the RG directly into the Ethernet port of one of my computers, but I instead told him to just hook it to the same cable in the switch where my DSL modem was before.  So in my case, there's nothing plugged into the Ethernet ports of the RG.  (Single STB is coax).  There isn't a problem with this sort of setup is there?  Everything is working fine.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

That should work fine in your case.  Your only STB is on coax, so therefore all devices on the Ethernet switch are computers or other internet devices.  This is fine.

However, if you add additional STBs for TV service, they should not be plugged into the switch.  Connect them via coax or plug them via Ethernet into the RG directly.

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.