Thosetrevinos's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, July 30th, 2012 9:43 PM

Need to move RG upstairs.

Hi, we currently have UVerse Voice and Internet. I need to move our home office upstairs. We have FTTP and all of our phone jacks are pre-wired with CAT 5e. We also have a media cabinet in our bedroom closet. Can someone please tell me what steps we need to take to move the RG. I've spent hours looking through these forums and others but can't find any info on our setup. Any help is much appreciated. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

12 years ago

To be able to move the jack, you will need a 110 punchdown tool to connect the line to the Red jack which is the feed from the ONT outside and the ability to move the splice over as well.  Then you can use the other jack to feed the VOIP service back to the house.  If you have a home alarm though this becomes an issue because the alarm needs to get the VOIP service before the other devices.  The other thing you need to do is reconnect all the coax lines so that the RG is feeding the service correctly through the splitter as well.  If you're not comfortable making these changes, it's probably cheaper and less hassle to have someone come out and change it over.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

nd, what kind of wire connects it to the NID?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for replying. It is a 2WIRE 3800-HGV-B. It is currently in our spare room that we were using as an office. We now need that room for our daughter. We also need the RG to connect to our desk top computer which we had to move upstairs.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

It's connected via Cat5e cable

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

I think you need to look back into behind the walls.
Where do those cat5 jacks go?
How is the 3800 connected to the NID?
If it is coax you may want to call att - or run a new coax to the new location.

If it is cat 5 off one of the room jacks & it goes back to a patch panel (& they all do) it would be as simple as changing the connection at the panel from NID - panel - room1 to NID-panel room2.

Looks like I messed up the first post by editing without concentrating. But, I see you are cat5 - hope for a patch panel.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Here are pictures of our NID and our media cabinet. Hopefully you can view the link. 🙂

http://s1186.photobucket.com/albums/z376/thosetrevinos/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Thosetrevinos - I am afraid you are exceeding my range of knowledge. You will have to hope for an installer familiar with those pictures.

If you cannot tell from labels what those connections are you may need to call att.

I was thinking the media cabinet may be what I was calling the patch panel, but you have to know where the wires go. Do they have labels?

Also, we just talked about the feed. What about the telephones?

If you have one phone at the RG or a wireless base station or a connection to a wall jack that feeds a separate tel network, then you just replicate it at the new location.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Well I appreciate you taking the time to try and help. We have Uverse VOIP and the main line is where the RG currently is. The cat5e cable was split into 2 jacks, and the Rg cable is split to plug into both of them. (I uploaded pics of this incase I'm not explaining it very well.) The jack upstairs is wired the same way. The red cables in the media closet are the CAT 5e cables that go to each phone jack in the house. The black coax cables are for direct tv and I'm not sure what the green cables are. My hubby narrowed down the identification of the cat5e cable for the jack we want to use down to two. Does that make any sense?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Thosetrevinos - Well. it is enough for me to guess.

The two connections at the RG one is the feed - possibly a red connector (ONT) or green (DSL). The other is connected to Line1 to backfeed the tel to the rest of the house. (maybe you can say what the labels are on these two jacks on the RG).

If this is true you could move the RG & replicate the connection in the new room.

Alll you have to do is find the NID-Old room connection, disconnect and try the two possible wires to change the NID to find which one goes to that room.

The tel should be OK because it is a parallel connection.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.