For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
jkb242's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, May 30th, 2011 10:48 PM

Need to connect NAS device to U-Verse Gateway

Prior to having Uverse I had Cox and used a rather conventional connection from the cable modem to a Netgear router and to a switch just to provide more ports.

I only use the Netgear router connected to the switch (which in turn is connected to the gateway) just to get a wireless connection for the iphone and other wireless devices.  I am having trouble reaching the NAS from inside my LAN to check if it is reachable via the internet. 

I can see the NAS and access the drives on the LAN side but using my Firefox browser I cannot reach it using the same address entered into the browser when everything was connected to cox with the router and switch.  The entry into the browser was ftp://(WAN IP address)--hitting return, this would return a log on box for user name and password.

Using the WAN IP of the Uverse gateway, the address can't be found.  Is there an internal setup page in the gateway like the router that is needed for port fowarding that I need to access.  If so, how is do I get access to it.

Any help on this topic would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, you will need to set up inbound FTP through the firewall on the U-Verse gateway.

You can access the gateway at:

http://192.168.1.254

If you're familiar with your own router, you should be able to navigate the U-Verse gateway and open a firewall port for the FTP service to your NAS.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

SomeJoe7777,

Solved original issue but need advise on LAN configuration--if this is not the correct forum please advise so I can re-post:

I have a Netgear WNHDE111 5.0 GHz bridge/AP (it is configurable for either) connected to the gateway which is linked to another Netgear (same model as above) in another room in the house for media streaming and for extending WiFi to that part of the house.  The 5.0 GHz link is used only for a LAN transport connection--no wireless devices connect to it directly.  At the remote location, I have a WD media player connected to the TV for streaming HD content stored on the WD Sharespace which is a NAS device.  The TV is also connected  to the gateway with a Uverse receiver.  This connection works fine but I have a second location in the house identical to the one described above that is also connected via the 5.0 GHz link.  I have a media server on this remote end that I am trying to feed back to the main Netgear AP/Bridge connected to the gateway so that I can stream media to the first TV above using the 5.0 GHz link.

The media player in the first room doesn't seem to be able to find the media server at the 2nd TV.  Any reason you can think of that I am unable to see the media server?

Thanks

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Several different protocols for the media server/client may not work properly over a bridged wireless connection like this. A bridged wireless connection essentially hides MAC addresses on the network, which can cause a lot of problems with different protocols.

Temporarily connect the media server with an Ethernet cable (and possible also connect the remove location with the WD media player via Ethernet also) and see if the problem disappears. If so, then the wireless bridges are blocking something necessary for the media client to detect the server on the network.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.