Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 8, 2011
3:51:22 PM
View profile
Need more Cat5 ports..... for other repair needs;

I need to update files at times on another PC and need a few more cat 5 ports, I bought a 5 port switch and not too sure as to the install.

I'm sure someone here has do this before and need help replying to the question embed in the image.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/bobomydog/uverse1.jpg

I need to update files at times on another PC and need a few more cat 5 ports, I bought a 5 port switch and not too sure as to the install.

I'm sure someone here has do this before and need help replying to the question embed in the image.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/bobomydog/uverse1.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 8, 2011 5:37:34 PM
(0)
Expert
OK, take the one that's in the bottom yellow port (you said this one runs to your computer) and unplug it.

Now set the 5-port switch next to the 2Wire, connect one of the ports from the 5-port switch to the empty yellow port on the 2Wire. This should give you a link light on the switch when it's plugged in.

Now plug your computer's wire into one of the ports on the 5-port switch.

Verify that your computer can access the internet.

If so, now you can plug other devices into the remaining 3 ports on the 5-port switch. Use these ports for computers or other internet devices, do not use them for U-Verse TV boxes.
Accepted Solution

Need more Cat5 ports..... for other repair needs;

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 3:59:16 PM
(0)
Expert
No, do not mess with the wire plugged into the green port - that is the VDSL wire.

What is connected to the other 4 wires plugged into the yellow ports?
No, do not mess with the wire plugged into the green port - that is the VDSL wire.

What is connected to the other 4 wires plugged into the yellow ports?

Re: Need more Cat5 ports..... for other repair needs;

2 of 7 (865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 4:04:17 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by 111jay111 on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:12:45 PM

I track them down and get back soon.

The top one is going to my uverse receiver

The middle two are going into the wall mount plate where my old cable was at.

The bottom one is going to a another plate next to my land-line phone plate

I track them down and get back soon.

The top one is going to my uverse receiver

The middle two are going into the wall mount plate where my old cable was at.

The bottom one is going to a another plate next to my land-line phone plate

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 4:57:13 PM
(0)
Expert
OK, what devices are at the end of the ones that go to a wall plate? Is it other U-Verse TV boxes, or is a computer or other type of Internet device? Or something else?
OK, what devices are at the end of the ones that go to a wall plate? Is it other U-Verse TV boxes, or is a computer or other type of Internet device? Or something else?

4 of 7 (852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 5:26:09 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by 111jay111 on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:35:58 PM

The middle 2 wires are running from the wall plate (where the old cable was connected), well, they are going thru the wall to the outside and don't know where there going ?? Again, talking about the 4 wires... the bottom wire of that group goes to my computer.

I'll take some more pictures if you want me to !!

I only have One userve modem (2wire 695).

The install teck said I just neeed to buy a cat5 port switch and I have it, what wire should I run in & out to it --- because I need (at least) one more port outlet ??

The middle 2 wires are running from the wall plate (where the old cable was connected), well, they are going thru the wall to the outside and don't know where there going ?? Again, talking about the 4 wires... the bottom wire of that group goes to my computer.

I'll take some more pictures if you want me to !!

I only have One userve modem (2wire 695).

The install teck said I just neeed to buy a cat5 port switch and I have it, what wire should I run in & out to it --- because I need (at least) one more port outlet ??

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (848 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 8, 2011 5:37:34 PM
(0)
Expert
OK, take the one that's in the bottom yellow port (you said this one runs to your computer) and unplug it.

Now set the 5-port switch next to the 2Wire, connect one of the ports from the 5-port switch to the empty yellow port on the 2Wire. This should give you a link light on the switch when it's plugged in.

If so, now you can plug other devices into the remaining 3 ports on the 5-port switch. Use these ports for computers or other internet devices, do not use them for U-Verse TV boxes.

6 of 7 (841 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 5:51:12 PM
(0)
Teacher
Thank you SomeJoe7777 :-)

Did exactly that and it's working.
Thank you SomeJoe7777 :-)