Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 26, 2013
5:48:12 PM
View profile
NVG589 randomly rebooting every couple days

Got upgrade to the new 45/6 speed last week, and with it came a new Motorola NVG589.

Been very pleased with the speeds and line stability so far (very few errors), but what I am not pleased with is that every couple days, the NVG589 spontaneously reboots itself. This is annoying when you lose internet randomly for 5 minutes or so while it reconnects, I gotta imagine this would be awful for TV viewers (we just have internet, no TV) - so I can't imagine this is widespread, but, who knows...

I just set up the syslog facility to log to my local PC so I can capture any relevant log entries prior to the unexpected reboots.

I am running firmware 9.1.0h4d38

I have the router configured "normally" (i.e. using it for routing, DHCP, and WLAN, with a couple dozen pinholes; i.e. it's not in bridge mode or anything like that.)

In the meantime while I wait for the next reboot, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with an NVG589 and if so, what the solution was.

Got upgrade to the new 45/6 speed last week, and with it came a new Motorola NVG589.

Been very pleased with the speeds and line stability so far (very few errors), but what I am not pleased with is that every couple days, the NVG589 spontaneously reboots itself. This is annoying when you lose internet randomly for 5 minutes or so while it reconnects, I gotta imagine this would be awful for TV viewers (we just have internet, no TV) - so I can't imagine this is widespread, but, who knows...

I just set up the syslog facility to log to my local PC so I can capture any relevant log entries prior to the unexpected reboots.

I am running firmware 9.1.0h4d38

I have the router configured "normally" (i.e. using it for routing, DHCP, and WLAN, with a couple dozen pinholes; i.e. it's not in bridge mode or anything like that.)

In the meantime while I wait for the next reboot, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with an NVG589 and if so, what the solution was.

NVG589 randomly rebooting every couple days

52 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(52)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 7:52:41 PM
(0)
Employee
How is power supplied to RG, direct to outlet or on a strip. Best to be direct connected.

Do you have Uverse Voip, if so BBU installed. If not, there would be no BBU.
Place RG on Battery Backup Unit to rule out possible power related issue.

How are CRC errors?

On updates, normally late night or early morning, RG may auto reboot to apply updates.
What general time frame are reboots occurring?
How is power supplied to RG, direct to outlet or on a strip. Best to be direct connected.

Do you have Uverse Voip, if so BBU installed. If not, there would be no BBU.
Place RG on Battery Backup Unit to rule out possible power related issue.

How are CRC errors?

On updates, normally late night or early morning, RG may auto reboot to apply updates.
What general time frame are reboots occurring?
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: NVG589 randomly rebooting every couple days

2 of 53 (7,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 7:45:50 AM
(0)
Mentor
Hi, here's answers to your questions....

We do have VOIP, and do have the battery installed. It shows as fully charged.
I just unplugged the unit briefly and the connection was maintained so I don't think it's a power issue.

FWIW, we do have it plugged into a power strip (don't have access to the wall outlet) but the old 2-Wire was connected the same way and never rebooted spontaneously in over a year.

The time of the reboots is roughly every couple days - since we've only had the NVG for a week, there's only been three of them, at around 3 PM, at around 7 PM and around 10 AM.

No CRC errors since last reboot (about 14 hours ago 7 PM yesterday evening). A few FEC errors.

Hi, here's answers to your questions....

We do have VOIP, and do have the battery installed. It shows as fully charged.
I just unplugged the unit briefly and the connection was maintained so I don't think it's a power issue.

FWIW, we do have it plugged into a power strip (don't have access to the wall outlet) but the old 2-Wire was connected the same way and never rebooted spontaneously in over a year.

The time of the reboots is roughly every couple days - since we've only had the NVG for a week, there's only been three of them, at around 3 PM, at around 7 PM and around 10 AM.

No CRC errors since last reboot (about 14 hours ago 7 PM yesterday evening). A few FEC errors.

3 of 53 (7,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 9:40:51 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have the same exact thing happening with mine.  Almst everyday, a few times a day the modem just reboots itself.

It rebooted last about an hour ago, and I see there are currently 2522 FEC errors (line 1) and 1 FEC error (line 2) since.

I have the same exact thing happening with mine.  Almst everyday, a few times a day the modem just reboots itself.

It rebooted last about an hour ago, and I see there are currently 2522 FEC errors (line 1) and 1 FEC error (line 2) since.

4 of 53 (7,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 8:23:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same here. My NVG 589 was installed on 2013/10/11.  It worked flawlessly until late December. I then experienced a one or two reboots.  These days,  it seems to be rebooting about once a day.  I have the 45 Mbs service + VOIP.  The gateway is connected directly into a power outlet and is not operating in bridge mode.   The battery is fully charged.  Firmware 9.1.0h4d38.  I do not have TV service.  

Same here. My NVG 589 was installed on 2013/10/11.  It worked flawlessly until late December. I then experienced a one or two reboots.  These days,  it seems to be rebooting about once a day.  I have the 45 Mbs service + VOIP.  The gateway is connected directly into a power outlet and is not operating in bridge mode.   The battery is fully charged.  Firmware 9.1.0h4d38.  I do not have TV service.  

5 of 53 (7,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 9:23:34 AM
(0)
Mentor
Does it have an internal battery or the external battery backup?

Sent from my iPhone 5s
Does it have an internal battery or the external battery backup?

Sent from my iPhone 5s

6 of 53 (7,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 10:54:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

The NV589 has an internal battery. 

The NV589 has an internal battery. 

7 of 53 (7,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 12:16:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

OK. The reason I ask is when mine was installed a few months ago, they did not install the internal battery even though I have VOIP, I was given the Belkin external.  So, last week, a tech came out due to my constant and increasing frequency of auto-rebooting, and he indicated to me that the NVG589 is not supposed to run off the Belkin.  He installed the internal battery, and I have not had the issue since (so far). 

OK. The reason I ask is when mine was installed a few months ago, they did not install the internal battery even though I have VOIP, I was given the Belkin external.  So, last week, a tech came out due to my constant and increasing frequency of auto-rebooting, and he indicated to me that the NVG589 is not supposed to run off the Belkin.  He installed the internal battery, and I have not had the issue since (so far). 

8 of 53 (7,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 7:06:45 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Bigg_Shot on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:09:16 PM

I'm having the same random reboot problem. Anyone still having this issue ?

I've had the nvg589 since Oct.2013 with a single pair and 24/3 max turbo service with No issues.

Then I upgraded to the 45/6 power service on 1-21-14 and a bonded pair.

Thats when the random reboots started. I have TV, Internet, Voip so yes it is very very frustrating so much Im about to switch my service.

I'm having the same random reboot problem. Anyone still having this issue ?

I've had the nvg589 since Oct.2013 with a single pair and 24/3 max turbo service with No issues.

Then I upgraded to the 45/6 power service on 1-21-14 and a bonded pair.

Thats when the random reboots started. I have TV, Internet, Voip so yes it is very very frustrating so much Im about to switch my service.

[ Edited ]
9 of 53 (7,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 7:04:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

I appear to be having the same problem.  We just had U-verse installed last weekend, and it worked perfectly for 4 days, but beginning yesterday, the NVG589 begin rebooting randomly every few hours.  I called AT&T support, and their remote testing indicated line problems, so they are sending a technician tomorrow.  The U-verse installation involved a new wire from the pole, a new NID (we didn't have one before on our older house), and a new line from the NID directly to the NVG589, so it will be interesting to see if they do indeed find line problems. When the gateway is working, network speeds are excellent.

I appear to be having the same problem.  We just had U-verse installed last weekend, and it worked perfectly for 4 days, but beginning yesterday, the NVG589 begin rebooting randomly every few hours.  I called AT&T support, and their remote testing indicated line problems, so they are sending a technician tomorrow.  The U-verse installation involved a new wire from the pole, a new NID (we didn't have one before on our older house), and a new line from the NID directly to the NVG589, so it will be interesting to see if they do indeed find line problems. When the gateway is working, network speeds are excellent.

10 of 53 (7,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 4:01:14 AM
(0)
Guru

Did you ever get this resolved?

My 2-wire RG was replaced with a  NVG589 because of white noise on the voice service 5 days ago and starting last night it has been rebooting almost hourly. 

This is disruptive to all three services.

Thanks,

J

Did you ever get this resolved?

My 2-wire RG was replaced with a  NVG589 because of white noise on the voice service 5 days ago and starting last night it has been rebooting almost hourly. 

This is disruptive to all three services.

Thanks,

J

11 of 53 (7,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 5:24:13 AM
(0)
Mentor

Mine seems to be resolved. Here is the chain of events:

First, I had AT&T come and install the internal battery and removed the external Belkin unit. That didn't seem to make much difference.

Second, I took the DVR that was connected via coax and connected via ethernet (theory was that there was issue with coax making the modem reboot) yes, you guessed it... that did not seem to work.

Lastly, I had disabled the wireless output in the NVG589 and had hooked up a wireless router (this was due to the location of the NVG589 in the house).  It appears, at least for me, that was the culprit.  I disconnected the wireless router all together and I can say that the modem has not rebooted since.  

Mine seems to be resolved. Here is the chain of events:

First, I had AT&T come and install the internal battery and removed the external Belkin unit. That didn't seem to make much difference.

Second, I took the DVR that was connected via coax and connected via ethernet (theory was that there was issue with coax making the modem reboot) yes, you guessed it... that did not seem to work.

Lastly, I had disabled the wireless output in the NVG589 and had hooked up a wireless router (this was due to the location of the NVG589 in the house).  It appears, at least for me, that was the culprit.  I disconnected the wireless router all together and I can say that the modem has not rebooted since.  

12 of 53 (7,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2014 5:58:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have had the same issues with the RG rebooting randomly, sometimes 3X's in 20 minutes.  I am going to try disabling the wireless.  AT&T support is/was useless!!!

I have had the same issues with the RG rebooting randomly, sometimes 3X's in 20 minutes.  I am going to try disabling the wireless.  AT&T support is/was useless!!!

13 of 53 (7,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 8:05:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

So far no reboots that I know of....  

So far no reboots that I know of....  

14 of 53 (7,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2014 2:44:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am having the same problem that started back in Feb and as of today June 17 still having it. I have had many techs come out and replaced the modem and the internal battery. Today they replaced the port on the main box and replaced the DVR. He was saying that there is showing errors on the outside on line 1 and he was going to create a ticket for someone to come and clean the line. I just took down the wireless, per the earlier note to try. did that fix your problem since last month? I am wondering if they replace the cables coming to DVR with Ethernet if that will fix the problem. That is my next step. any other ideas? Please help!!!!
I am having the same problem that started back in Feb and as of today June 17 still having it. I have had many techs come out and replaced the modem and the internal battery. Today they replaced the port on the main box and replaced the DVR. He was saying that there is showing errors on the outside on line 1 and he was going to create a ticket for someone to come and clean the line. I just took down the wireless, per the earlier note to try. did that fix your problem since last month? I am wondering if they replace the cables coming to DVR with Ethernet if that will fix the problem. That is my next step. any other ideas? Please help!!!!

15 of 53 (6,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2014 6:35:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

There are power source issues that often are a problem.
My NVG589 has a good internal battery and an excellent power source.

I have also tried disabling IPV6 and the NVG589 Wireless, but that did not help me. 

Nevertheless, I get NVG589 random reboots on my bonded service.
The service technician did not have any clues when he looked at my problem.
He simply replaces my NVG589, but the random reboots continue (about once every 7-14 days).
The logs are not useful, either.

This is a thread talking about it:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29255016-NVG589-reboots-for-no-apparent-reason.

Following the discussion on DSLReports seems more useful than the discussions here.

My bonded lines have different SN margins and I suspect that this is my problem.

I am hoping that a firmware update will address this issue.

The NVG589 needs to be robust enough to not reset, or at least log something first! 
I will keep asking ATT to look at my lines and perhaps find a technician who can make a difference.

There are power source issues that often are a problem.
My NVG589 has a good internal battery and an excellent power source.

I have also tried disabling IPV6 and the NVG589 Wireless, but that did not help me. 

Nevertheless, I get NVG589 random reboots on my bonded service.
The service technician did not have any clues when he looked at my problem.
He simply replaces my NVG589, but the random reboots continue (about once every 7-14 days).
The logs are not useful, either.

This is a thread talking about it:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29255016-NVG589-reboots-for-no-apparent-reason.

Following the discussion on DSLReports seems more useful than the discussions here.

My bonded lines have different SN margins and I suspect that this is my problem.

I am hoping that a firmware update will address this issue.

The NVG589 needs to be robust enough to not reset, or at least log something first! 
I will keep asking ATT to look at my lines and perhaps find a technician who can make a difference.

16 of 53 (6,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2014 9:02:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

This is total crap for service!  after disabling wifi it was stable for a few weeks... now the reboots are back.  called and they are a sending a tech out to replace the RG... it is just B-S that no one knows what is wrong or that there are  a lot of folks having this issue. 

again, this all started when I switched to the NVG589 with bonded pair service 45mg.  I have 3 STBs, 2 are cat 5 and 1 is wireless.  Good power source and internal battery.  There is nothing in the logs on the RG to identify the reboot.

This is total crap for service!  after disabling wifi it was stable for a few weeks... now the reboots are back.  called and they are a sending a tech out to replace the RG... it is just B-S that no one knows what is wrong or that there are  a lot of folks having this issue. 

again, this all started when I switched to the NVG589 with bonded pair service 45mg.  I have 3 STBs, 2 are cat 5 and 1 is wireless.  Good power source and internal battery.  There is nothing in the logs on the RG to identify the reboot.

17 of 53 (6,839 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2014 2:03:37 PM
(1)
Tutor

Really nice tech was out today!  He thinks that I'm too close to the VRAD and it gets "hot" and bounces. He added a spool of 700 ft of line to put me out further.  Also suggested that since I have 67mg per line (120+mg capped at 45), drop one pair, factory reset the modem, and come up on one line.  He says 45mg service does not require bonded pair.  ???  I hope this info helps and I will keep you posted as events develope.

Really nice tech was out today!  He thinks that I'm too close to the VRAD and it gets "hot" and bounces. He added a spool of 700 ft of line to put me out further.  Also suggested that since I have 67mg per line (120+mg capped at 45), drop one pair, factory reset the modem, and come up on one line.  He says 45mg service does not require bonded pair.  ???  I hope this info helps and I will keep you posted as events develope.

18 of 53 (6,808 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2014 8:40:38 PM
(1)
Employee
The company standpoint is yes you need bonded pair....
The Power 45M internet comes from a 55M profile and is recommended to have minimum of 76 to 80M. Your single line at 67M does not provide enough overhead resulting in lower SN margin and increase chance of errors and reboots.

Any future testing will show your one line down resulting in service calls and 4 hour appointment windows to reconnect the 2nd pair.

If you wish to return to a single pair install then profile needs to be lowered to 32M and internet to Max Turbo 24M... may then request either 3800 or 3801 bg wireless RG if so desired to get off 589.
The company standpoint is yes you need bonded pair....
The Power 45M internet comes from a 55M profile and is recommended to have minimum of 76 to 80M. Your single line at 67M does not provide enough overhead resulting in lower SN margin and increase chance of errors and reboots.

Any future testing will show your one line down resulting in service calls and 4 hour appointment windows to reconnect the 2nd pair.

If you wish to return to a single pair install then profile needs to be lowered to 32M and internet to Max Turbo 24M... may then request either 3800 or 3801 bg wireless RG if so desired to get off 589.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

19 of 53 (6,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2014 8:40:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

So far so good.

So far so good.

20 of 53 (6,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2014 8:38:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

opps! spoke too soon,  reboots are back

opps! spoke too soon,  reboots are back

21 of 53 (6,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2014 7:14:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the problem.   I upgraded to the 45m service and have had nothing but problems.

So far:

All STB's are on Cat 5

Coax is disabled and not connected

New wiring in DSLAM

Changed wire pair out in back of my house

New drop

New box on the back of my house

New wiring in my house

New DVR

Added Filters as I am less than 100' from the VRAD and DSLAM

Problem continues.   Every few hours the NVG 589 drops everything and reboots and the log shows no DSL signal and says the DNS servers can't be reached.  The box reboots itself and works again for a few hours and the cycle repeats

I even offered to use a Cisco 2851 router with a VDSL HWIC card I'm told I can't do that.

anyone else have any ideas why this keeps happening?

I called in again today and they are mailing out a new NVG 589 RG.   If the problem remains it will be another service call and missed day of work.

I am having the problem.   I upgraded to the 45m service and have had nothing but problems.

So far:

All STB's are on Cat 5

Coax is disabled and not connected

New wiring in DSLAM

Changed wire pair out in back of my house

New drop

New box on the back of my house

New wiring in my house

New DVR

Added Filters as I am less than 100' from the VRAD and DSLAM

Problem continues.   Every few hours the NVG 589 drops everything and reboots and the log shows no DSL signal and says the DNS servers can't be reached.  The box reboots itself and works again for a few hours and the cycle repeats

I even offered to use a Cisco 2851 router with a VDSL HWIC card I'm told I can't do that.

anyone else have any ideas why this keeps happening?

I called in again today and they are mailing out a new NVG 589 RG.   If the problem remains it will be another service call and missed day of work.

22 of 53 (6,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2014 11:37:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

I cannot say my issue is resolved, but after the last visit, this are better.  They swapped ports on the VRAD, called a line tech to remove a bridge-tap, and ensured the line noise between the two pairs is close as possible.  They have even added a spool of about 700ft of wire to my line in the basement before the RG to make me further from the VRAD as they suspected I was too close at about 300ft.

I cannot say my issue is resolved, but after the last visit, this are better.  They swapped ports on the VRAD, called a line tech to remove a bridge-tap, and ensured the line noise between the two pairs is close as possible.  They have even added a spool of about 700ft of wire to my line in the basement before the RG to make me further from the VRAD as they suspected I was too close at about 300ft.

23 of 53 (5,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2015 7:37:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have had the nvg589 for at least a year.  I have the 9.1.0h12d22 firmware.  Even though it is a bonded pair router, I am only using one of the pairs.  I have a vera home automation device as one of the connections and when the router restarts then that system quits working so I know when the restarts occur.      These restarts only started happening about a week ago.

The router is plugged into a belkin battery backup, and the internal battery is in place.  While I was trying to investigate the issue, i remembered one of the techs stating that we were not supposed to be using the internal battery if we were using the belkin battery.  Last night I removed the internal battery and it hasn't rebooted in 12 hours.  I was going to call att on Monday (tomorrow) but thought I would try the battery thing first to eliminate that from the discussion tomorrow.  

This is a huge problem for me since all of my home automation and security features are disabled until I reset my vera device and the second router that I am using as a bridge.  Since I can't remotely reset my vera device and the bridge, then I can be without this service for any time that I am away on trips.  

To me, the key issues are that it only recently started, a tech had mentioned the internal battery, and nothing else in the wiring closet has changed in months.  If anyone has any more ideas or a recommended router to request from  att, I would be grateful.  I will have to leave uverse if I can't fix this because I have let home automation take over the operation of my home.  Thanks

I have had the nvg589 for at least a year.  I have the 9.1.0h12d22 firmware.  Even though it is a bonded pair router, I am only using one of the pairs.  I have a vera home automation device as one of the connections and when the router restarts then that system quits working so I know when the restarts occur.      These restarts only started happening about a week ago.

The router is plugged into a belkin battery backup, and the internal battery is in place.  While I was trying to investigate the issue, i remembered one of the techs stating that we were not supposed to be using the internal battery if we were using the belkin battery.  Last night I removed the internal battery and it hasn't rebooted in 12 hours.  I was going to call att on Monday (tomorrow) but thought I would try the battery thing first to eliminate that from the discussion tomorrow.  

This is a huge problem for me since all of my home automation and security features are disabled until I reset my vera device and the second router that I am using as a bridge.  Since I can't remotely reset my vera device and the bridge, then I can be without this service for any time that I am away on trips.  

To me, the key issues are that it only recently started, a tech had mentioned the internal battery, and nothing else in the wiring closet has changed in months.  If anyone has any more ideas or a recommended router to request from  att, I would be grateful.  I will have to leave uverse if I can't fix this because I have let home automation take over the operation of my home.  Thanks

24 of 53 (5,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2015 3:11:48 PM
(0)
Voyager

We're also having a similar issue. It started mid-december, at the time we had a 2wire router. They replaced it with another identical 2wire which had the same problem. Next they switched to the NVG589, which didn't solve the problem either. a couple weeks ago they moved us to a different port in the box at the end of the street, that actually seemed to fix the problem for almost 2 weeks, then yesterday our NVG589 reset at least 4 times, and today it's done it at least twice.
They're coming out tomorrow, i'm not sure what's next in troubleshooting this issue.
If we were just losing service and it was coming back, that would be one thing, but the router is actually rebooting.
Any ideas what could cause that?  the only thing i've changed is the SSID.

We're also having a similar issue. It started mid-december, at the time we had a 2wire router. They replaced it with another identical 2wire which had the same problem. Next they switched to the NVG589, which didn't solve the problem either. a couple weeks ago they moved us to a different port in the box at the end of the street, that actually seemed to fix the problem for almost 2 weeks, then yesterday our NVG589 reset at least 4 times, and today it's done it at least twice.
They're coming out tomorrow, i'm not sure what's next in troubleshooting this issue.
If we were just losing service and it was coming back, that would be one thing, but the router is actually rebooting.
Any ideas what could cause that?  the only thing i've changed is the SSID.

25 of 53 (5,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2015 8:56:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm having the same problem. It started about the same time-frame as yours. They replaced the modem with another 2-wire modem, same problem. Calling to complain again tomorrow

I'm having the same problem. It started about the same time-frame as yours. They replaced the modem with another 2-wire modem, same problem. Calling to complain again tomorrow

26 of 53 (5,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2015 6:33:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

Just reporting back on my issue.  I removed the internal battery and this seemed to fix the problem, but then it returned.  I was going on a trip and didn't want it to fail while I was away, so i put the internal battery back in the router and it hasn't rebooted in a while.  I called ATT over a week ago and they said they were sending me a new router and I am more than upset that I still don't have it.  However, it doesn't sound like that will fix the problem.  I just wanted to report on the internal battery story in case anyone has tried it or wants to.  Also, most of the time when it reboots, it fails to restart the telephone and sometimes the broadband doesn't restart correctly.  

I guess the next question is who do i use if i decide to replace uverse?

Just reporting back on my issue.  I removed the internal battery and this seemed to fix the problem, but then it returned.  I was going on a trip and didn't want it to fail while I was away, so i put the internal battery back in the router and it hasn't rebooted in a while.  I called ATT over a week ago and they said they were sending me a new router and I am more than upset that I still don't have it.  However, it doesn't sound like that will fix the problem.  I just wanted to report on the internal battery story in case anyone has tried it or wants to.  Also, most of the time when it reboots, it fails to restart the telephone and sometimes the broadband doesn't restart correctly.  

I guess the next question is who do i use if i decide to replace uverse?

27 of 53 (5,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2015 6:37:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

Apologies, I shouldn't reply first thing in the morning.  I did reinsert the battery but I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to talk my wife though manually resetting it while i was on a trip to i removed it.  I seem to remember that it did reboot at least once while the battery was back in the unit.  So, i had removed the battery and the router has not rebooted in over 8 days.  I believe that 8 days is also the time since I called ATT and they said they ran some tests and mailed a router that I haven't received.

Apologies, I shouldn't reply first thing in the morning.  I did reinsert the battery but I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to talk my wife though manually resetting it while i was on a trip to i removed it.  I seem to remember that it did reboot at least once while the battery was back in the unit.  So, i had removed the battery and the router has not rebooted in over 8 days.  I believe that 8 days is also the time since I called ATT and they said they ran some tests and mailed a router that I haven't received.

28 of 53 (5,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2015 5:12:39 AM
(0)
Contributor

I started having this problem about 2 months ago. They fond a problem on my line and dug up my yard! Replaced the modem/router as well. Still have about 1 reboot each day. I am very close to changing to another provider at this point.

I started having this problem about 2 months ago. They fond a problem on my line and dug up my yard! Replaced the modem/router as well. Still have about 1 reboot each day. I am very close to changing to another provider at this point.

29 of 53 (4,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2015 6:30:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

Update.  Called ATT on January 23 to talk to tech people.  They said they were sending me a new router.  On Feb 2, I called back to ask when I would be getting the router.  They said that I had actually ordered it on January 29 and it would be here Feb 2 at night, or Feb 3 morning.  I talked to customer retention for a while and they offered to send a tech to my house on Feb 3.  Before I say what happened then, I must point out that I did receive a router on Feb 3, but it was shipped on Feb 2.  In other words, they have been completely lying to me the whole time.  

The tech came and immediately noticed that my router was using one of those grey power supplies as the power source.  He said that is the problem and converted me to another router, the 3801HGV.  This router does not have an internal batter and it is supposed to use the grey power supply.  I spent the next day resetting my ip addresses and ports and trying to get it back up to speed with my home automation.  It has now been up for 2 days and 13 hours.  

With my automation system, and my dependence upon it when I am away from home, I could not even survive a reboot once per day.  It seems like ATT should see a pattern of a major problem starting in December and fix it.  My tech was very nice and professional and I expect i will be seeing him again.  But for now, it is working.  You cannot use the grey batter on this router, you must plug it directly into the wall.  And I suspect that also means that you also cannot plug it into a UPS.  

Update.  Called ATT on January 23 to talk to tech people.  They said they were sending me a new router.  On Feb 2, I called back to ask when I would be getting the router.  They said that I had actually ordered it on January 29 and it would be here Feb 2 at night, or Feb 3 morning.  I talked to customer retention for a while and they offered to send a tech to my house on Feb 3.  Before I say what happened then, I must point out that I did receive a router on Feb 3, but it was shipped on Feb 2.  In other words, they have been completely lying to me the whole time.  

The tech came and immediately noticed that my router was using one of those grey power supplies as the power source.  He said that is the problem and converted me to another router, the 3801HGV.  This router does not have an internal batter and it is supposed to use the grey power supply.  I spent the next day resetting my ip addresses and ports and trying to get it back up to speed with my home automation.  It has now been up for 2 days and 13 hours.  

With my automation system, and my dependence upon it when I am away from home, I could not even survive a reboot once per day.  It seems like ATT should see a pattern of a major problem starting in December and fix it.  My tech was very nice and professional and I expect i will be seeing him again.  But for now, it is working.  You cannot use the grey batter on this router, you must plug it directly into the wall.  And I suspect that also means that you also cannot plug it into a UPS.  

30 of 53 (4,964 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments