kshusker's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Friday, December 27th, 2013 1:48 AM

NVG589 randomly rebooting every couple days

Got upgrade to the new 45/6 speed last week, and with it came a new Motorola NVG589.

Been very pleased with the speeds and line stability so far (very few errors), but what I am not pleased with is that every couple days, the NVG589 spontaneously reboots itself. This is annoying when you lose internet randomly for 5 minutes or so while it reconnects, I gotta imagine this would be awful for TV viewers (we just have internet, no TV) - so I can't imagine this is widespread, but, who knows...

I just set up the syslog facility to log to my local PC so I can capture any relevant log entries prior to the unexpected reboots.

I am running firmware 9.1.0h4d38

I have the router configured "normally" (i.e. using it for routing, DHCP, and WLAN, with a couple dozen pinholes; i.e. it's not in bridge mode or anything like that.)

In the meantime while I wait for the next reboot, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with an NVG589 and if so, what the solution was.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

10 years ago

Hi, here's answers to your questions....

We do have VOIP, and do have the battery installed. It shows as fully charged.
I just unplugged the unit briefly and the connection was maintained so I don't think it's a power issue.

FWIW, we do have it plugged into a power strip (don't have access to the wall outlet) but the old 2-Wire was connected the same way and never rebooted spontaneously in over a year.

The time of the reboots is roughly every couple days - since we've only had the NVG for a week, there's only been three of them, at around 3 PM, at around 7 PM and around 10 AM.

No CRC errors since last reboot (about 14 hours ago 7 PM yesterday evening). A few FEC errors.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

10 years ago

I have the same exact thing happening with mine.  Almst everyday, a few times a day the modem just reboots itself.

It rebooted last about an hour ago, and I see there are currently 2522 FEC errors (line 1) and 1 FEC error (line 2) since.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Same here. My NVG 589 was installed on 2013/10/11.  It worked flawlessly until late December. I then experienced a one or two reboots.  These days,  it seems to be rebooting about once a day.  I have the 45 Mbs service + VOIP.  The gateway is connected directly into a power outlet and is not operating in bridge mode.   The battery is fully charged.  Firmware 9.1.0h4d38.  I do not have TV service.  

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

10 years ago

Does it have an internal battery or the external battery backup?

Sent from my iPhone 5s

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

The NV589 has an internal battery. 

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

10 years ago

OK. The reason I ask is when mine was installed a few months ago, they did not install the internal battery even though I have VOIP, I was given the Belkin external.  So, last week, a tech came out due to my constant and increasing frequency of auto-rebooting, and he indicated to me that the NVG589 is not supposed to run off the Belkin.  He installed the internal battery, and I have not had the issue since (so far). 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I'm having the same random reboot problem. Anyone still having this issue ?

I've had the nvg589 since Oct.2013 with a single pair and 24/3 max turbo service with No issues.

Then I upgraded to the 45/6 power service on 1-21-14 and a bonded pair.

Thats when the random reboots started. I have TV, Internet, Voip so yes it is very very frustrating so much Im about to switch my service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I appear to be having the same problem.  We just had U-verse installed last weekend, and it worked perfectly for 4 days, but beginning yesterday, the NVG589 begin rebooting randomly every few hours.  I called AT&T support, and their remote testing indicated line problems, so they are sending a technician tomorrow.  The U-verse installation involved a new wire from the pole, a new NID (we didn't have one before on our older house), and a new line from the NID directly to the NVG589, so it will be interesting to see if they do indeed find line problems. When the gateway is working, network speeds are excellent.

Guru

• 

192 Messages

10 years ago

Did you ever get this resolved?

My 2-wire RG was replaced with a  NVG589 because of white noise on the voice service 5 days ago and starting last night it has been rebooting almost hourly. 

This is disruptive to all three services.

Thanks,

J

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

10 years ago

Mine seems to be resolved. Here is the chain of events:

First, I had AT&T come and install the internal battery and removed the external Belkin unit. That didn't seem to make much difference.

Second, I took the DVR that was connected via coax and connected via ethernet (theory was that there was issue with coax making the modem reboot) yes, you guessed it... that did not seem to work.

Lastly, I had disabled the wireless output in the NVG589 and had hooked up a wireless router (this was due to the location of the NVG589 in the house).  It appears, at least for me, that was the culprit.  I disconnected the wireless router all together and I can say that the modem has not rebooted since.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.