Rideaway's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, July 11th, 2013 3:40 AM

NVG510 Open ports refusing connection.

PROBLEM

Pics at the bottom.

I'm on a wired connection. I go into my Motorola NVG510, head to NAT/Gaming, and forward some ports. I make sure it's on the correct device (my device). 

I forward the ports 32657 to 32659, on both UDP and TCP. I've disabled every Firewall option on the modem, as well as my computer. I save it, apply it, and it appears in the list set for my device. Cool. Should be easy enough.

Wrong. I scan a closed port with http://canyouseeme.org/ -- it says connection timed out, expectedly. When I scan a port I opened via the modem, it says "connection refused". Something is refusing my connection. Nobody can connect to me via that port, even after opening it in the modem.

( For any of you ATT techs, my IP begins with 108, not 10. I tried to use your port tool regardless, but it makes me login to the ATT website in an endless loop. Pretty dumb. )

I've attempted to call ATT about this, and they refer me to some fee-based service that is far too expensive.

I'm interested in being able to open my ports when I pay for internet, just as I've always been able to do.

If any of you have had any experience with this ridiculous problem, let me know. I'd love some help. I've never had an issue forwarding ports in the 10+ years I've been using the internet.

PS: For the record, I've tried other ports as well. Tons of different ones. All the same result -- "connection refused".

Firewall Settings 

Firewall Advanced

Opened Ports (Should be good to go.)

All Set Up (Cool.)

32657 Refused (When opened specifically, they get refused.)

32658 Refused (And again.)

Closed/Random Port 3277 Timed Out (This is to show that normally, ports simply time out if unopened.)

EDIT: I tried IP passthrough on Default Server instead of off, and defined my device in the address box. Now any port I scan is "connection refused", I am assuming because it works like a DMZ and opened all of them. When I turn IP Passthrough off and scan a port like 80, it comes back as a timed out. 

TL;DR: Something is blocking my open ports. I disabled all firewalls and protectors, etc, unless there is something in the modem I missed.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

If there is no software responding on the port, then the scanner can't tell if the other end just didn't respond or the packet was blocked.

You need to be running the game or something...  However, just starting the game probably doesn't mean it's listening on all these ports.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

One thing I'd like to ask:

What application/service do you have running on the target PC that will respond when the port scan attempts to connect to the port you have set up forwarding for?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Nothing. Literally nothing. No firewall, no virus protector, no windows defender, nothing. Completely clean.

The only thing I can think of is Hamachi but it's closed/disabled. To reiterate what I said in the main post: All of my ports show refused for some reason, when I open them via IP passthrough. 

I also checked with canyouseeme.org on other wired computers in the household. Same issue. Connection refused regardless of which ports I open. No windows firewall/defender/virus protector on those, either.

If ports are tested with canyouseeme.org while:

A) Open, we get: Connection Refused

B) Closed, we get: Connection Timed Out

I've attempted this on over 10 different ports, randomly selected, or picked from the list.

Weird. Really makes me wonder if AT&T isn't doing it from their end. I've asked Tier 1 and Tier 2 / Managers, they say they don't. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I see. That makes sense. I would have never thought of that. I just assumed CYSM.org would report it open even without a service actively accepting it.

I started up the program, and checked the port -- success. Port is open. Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Glad you got it working.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

This problem has not been solved. ACE Expert marked it Solved. There are thousands of UVerse customers who are facing the same problem. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I have a BGW210-700 and can agree with brian that this is indeed not solved in the slightest. Something is very wrong with the equipment/services and it needs to be handled properly.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.