Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 14, 2013
9:07:56 AM
View profile
Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?
Edited by Darknessrise on Feb 14, 2013 at 9:27:05 AM

I posted this over at Dslreports.com but figured I would post it here too.

I was looking at the Motorola website and found this...

»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/NV···,pd.html
Then....
»www.homepna.org/products/member_products/
Lists this product as
"Motorola NVG589 Bonded VDSL 11N Gateway"

Seems to be an IPTV/Internet/VOIP modem.

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA16256

Would be pointless to make a battery/modem specifically for a service that wouldn't use it, wouldn't it ?

I wonder what the ADSL2+ gateway would be then? The 5111NV? I guess if they somehow don't use this then it'll be the Pace 5168NV for both ADSL2+/VDSL2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

I posted this over at Dslreports.com but figured I would post it here too.

I was looking at the Motorola website and found this...

»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/NV···,pd.html
Then....
»www.homepna.org/products/member_products/
Lists this product as
"Motorola NVG589 Bonded VDSL 11N Gateway"

Seems to be an IPTV/Internet/VOIP modem.

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA16256

Would be pointless to make a battery/modem specifically for a service that wouldn't use it, wouldn't it ?

I wonder what the ADSL2+ gateway would be then? The 5111NV? I guess if they somehow don't use this then it'll be the Pace 5168NV for both ADSL2+/VDSL2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 10, 2013 11:28:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

My NVG589 was installed yesterday!  Yes, it has a TRUE bridge mode!  Yes, it has Wireless N (300Mbs), although Dual Band N or Wireless AC would have been nice.  I guess we'll have to wait another 4 years for those improvements...  LOL  Yes, it has Gigabit Ethernet ports (finally)!  Yes, it can be put in 40mHz mode!  Yes, it can be run on a single, rather than bonded pair, so even if you don't have bonded pair, I'd be trying to get one of these new RG's!  Yes, it is made by Motorola, so no more Pace junk!  The senior tech who installed this yesterday (I was the first one in my area to get one.) stated that they were officially replacing ALL of the bonded pair gateways with these new NVG589's whenever problems arrose, so y'all wanting to switch know what you need to do, right?  Smiley Wink

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=876244&fcc_id=GZ5NVG589

Look at the very bottom link.  That's the Administrator's Manual for the NVG589, and NO you will not receive ANY documentation or manuals with this new RG.  So bookmark that page!  It's 216 pages long, so you may or may not feel like printing the thing.

Of note...  There IS a command line interface for this RG, and the instructions for getting into it are in the above manual, along with the available commands.  There is also a DEBUG mode.  Does this mean that rooting this new RG will soon be possible?  I hope so, because there are two jacks on this new RG which are neither described nor used, as of yet.  The most important for most of us is the USB port, which according to the Motorola tech support guy I chatted with earlier this morning is currently "disabled by AT&T", but could provide network backup for your computers (I was asking about network Time Machine backups for my Mac's on the network.) in the future should AT&T "turn the port on".  So do we have a uPNP USB port on this new RG just waiting to be "turned on"?  Almost assuredly.  The real question is will we have to wait for AT&T to turn it on, or will some enterprising individual figure out a way for us to do it ourselves.  Speaking of which, you can adjust the output power of the wireless radio.  Right now the max is 100%.  Again, the possibility of overdriving the wireless radio a bit, ALA the Tomato firmware you can flash some routers with, seems likely if the RG is indeed hackable. 

Lastly, there is a top port which is designed for direct fiber from the curb input!  FYI, this new uVerse RG is pretty much identicle to the one Motorola makes for EATEL's true FIOS offering, so 100Mb/s Up/Down should be possible in the future.  This RG is undoubtably AT&T's answer to competing with Google Fiber in the areas where it's available, as well as other true FIOS offerings by other national and regional providers.  I guess the real question will be how cheap AT&T will be, and how soon we'll start seeing them lay direct fiber to the house and start dumping IPTV over copper.  It may be a while as supposedly AT&T is testing 48MB/s (No word on whether this is a 48 meg profile or true 48MB/s Internet speed.) in Miami using te NVG589.  What I do know is that at 3300ft from the VRAD using bonded pair on a kCard, I've got one of the cleanest 25 meg profiles you've ever seen, and I could easily go to a 32 meg profile if AT&T offered it in my area.

This new RG seems to be breathing some new life into the uVerse service!  Now if it won't keep frying at least once per month like my old Pace RG was (iNID would just power cycle and never hold sync, and I've been having the issue since just before the first of the year!), I'll be relatively happy...

Accepted Solution

Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

[ Edited ]
116 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(116)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 5:48:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

All the profiles require some "headroom" (20%) in the raw signal.  Which means for 55 Mbps profile you'd need a raw connection rate of 66 Mbps.  From my observations, this is not possible on a single pair (misses by a couple megabits per second).

Thus, yes, I can see the requirement for bonded pair for a 55 Mbps profile.  Hopefully there's a somewhat smaller profile for single pair, say around 45 to 50 Mbps.

All the profiles require some "headroom" (20%) in the raw signal.  Which means for 55 Mbps profile you'd need a raw connection rate of 66 Mbps.  From my observations, this is not possible on a single pair (misses by a couple megabits per second).

Thus, yes, I can see the requirement for bonded pair for a 55 Mbps profile.  Hopefully there's a somewhat smaller profile for single pair, say around 45 to 50 Mbps.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

31 of 117 (10,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 5:56:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

trparky wrote:

So what?  The hardware itself doesn't change.  All we really care about is the guts of the device.

Really?!  What I want from an owners manual includes the actual available features and configuration options.  What you can actually do with a 2WIRE 3800 with the current AT&T firmware bears no resemblance to the FCC documents. Pictures of the front and back panels seem to be the extent of these aged documents' usefulness now.

They don't want to be bothered keeping these things up to date, or the implied contractural commitment of what they do (in case that changes), so they don't post them.

trparky wrote:

So what?  The hardware itself doesn't change.  All we really care about is the guts of the device.

Really?!  What I want from an owners manual includes the actual available features and configuration options.  What you can actually do with a 2WIRE 3800 with the current AT&T firmware bears no resemblance to the FCC documents. Pictures of the front and back panels seem to be the extent of these aged documents' usefulness now.

They don't want to be bothered keeping these things up to date, or the implied contractural commitment of what they do (in case that changes), so they don't post them.

32 of 117 (10,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 6:31:34 AM
(0)
Employee
For Jeffery, there is or will be a upgrade on single pair to 45M with internet speeds of 30/3 to those who qualify (54M+).....
My understanding is this will be automatic with no change in pricing but your internet profile will move up free 24 to 30, 18 to 24 , etc.
Please see http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Details-on-Rumored-New-ATT-UVerse-Speeds-123593
For Jeffery, there is or will be a upgrade on single pair to 45M with internet speeds of 30/3 to those who qualify (54M+).....
My understanding is this will be automatic with no change in pricing but your internet profile will move up free 24 to 30, 18 to 24 , etc.
Please see http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Details-on-Rumored-New-ATT-UVerse-Speeds-123593
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

33 of 117 (10,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 8:01:38 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by trparky on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:09:33 AM

So existing 24 Mbps Tier customers will get an upgrade to 30 Mbps.  That's cool.  Although I'd like more like 45 Mbps but that depends upon price.

That would put AT&T on par with Time Warner in my area.

IMHO, all of this talk about Internet speeds of 100 Mbps or more and with Verizon talking about 500 Mbps and Comcast talking about 300 Mbps is a bunch of nonsense.  For the vast majority of people (95%), that's seriously overkill.  There's really no need for anything above 100 Mbps.  Most commercial software download sites can't fill that even a 24 Mbps pipe without multi-threaded downloading in which you make multiple connections to the same download site.

For instance, I was downloading PowerDVD from the Cyberlink product web site and I was barely downloading at 600 KB/s but when I kicked in the multi-threaded downloading I shot up to 2.4 MB/s.  What does this mean?  It means that most server admins are artificially limiting you to a specific amount of speed per connection.  Yes, you can initilize a second or more connection to get more download speed in the form of multi-threaded downloading but soon server admins are going to catch onto that and start limiting the amount of connections from a single IP and some of them have already done that.

The last mile is finally catching up with what people actually need.  Internal Internet bandwidth is something else.  There are multiple choke points across the US in which there's just not enough Internet backbone bandwidth to handle the high demands we are putting on it.

Granted, I know that Steam can fill that pipe up easily with how many servers they around the nation but how much Steam stuff can you download?

So existing 24 Mbps Tier customers will get an upgrade to 30 Mbps.  That's cool.  Although I'd like more like 45 Mbps but that depends upon price.

That would put AT&T on par with Time Warner in my area.

IMHO, all of this talk about Internet speeds of 100 Mbps or more and with Verizon talking about 500 Mbps and Comcast talking about 300 Mbps is a bunch of nonsense.  For the vast majority of people (95%), that's seriously overkill.  There's really no need for anything above 100 Mbps.  Most commercial software download sites can't fill that even a 24 Mbps pipe without multi-threaded downloading in which you make multiple connections to the same download site.

For instance, I was downloading PowerDVD from the Cyberlink product web site and I was barely downloading at 600 KB/s but when I kicked in the multi-threaded downloading I shot up to 2.4 MB/s.  What does this mean?  It means that most server admins are artificially limiting you to a specific amount of speed per connection.  Yes, you can initilize a second or more connection to get more download speed in the form of multi-threaded downloading but soon server admins are going to catch onto that and start limiting the amount of connections from a single IP and some of them have already done that.

The last mile is finally catching up with what people actually need.  Internal Internet bandwidth is something else.  There are multiple choke points across the US in which there's just not enough Internet backbone bandwidth to handle the high demands we are putting on it.

Granted, I know that Steam can fill that pipe up easily with how many servers they around the nation but how much Steam stuff can you download?

The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

[ Edited ]
34 of 117 (10,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 8:42:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

my thoughts wrote:

I'm at 60 Mbps raw, so yeah, I should be good for 45 Mbps.  One interesting thing here is that they're now "reserving" more for IPTV.  It was 8 Mbps (32-24), now it looks like 15 Mbps (45-30).  I wonder why they'd need more bandwidth.... Smiley Wink

my thoughts wrote:

I'm at 60 Mbps raw, so yeah, I should be good for 45 Mbps.  One interesting thing here is that they're now "reserving" more for IPTV.  It was 8 Mbps (32-24), now it looks like 15 Mbps (45-30).  I wonder why they'd need more bandwidth.... Smiley Wink

35 of 117 (10,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 8:44:35 AM
(0)
Guru

I was thinking that too.  I wonder what's up with these changes.

Come on AT&T.  I want to see these changes in Ohio.

I was thinking that too.  I wonder what's up with these changes.

Come on AT&T.  I want to see these changes in Ohio.

The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

36 of 117 (10,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 8:47:12 AM
(0)
Guru

JefferMC, how far away from the VRAD are you?  I'm an estimated 500 feet according to UV Realtime and I only have a raw line rate of 57,755 Kbps.  And I have some decent lines.

I wonder if you may be on one of the newer K-cards as versus myself in which I'm on one of the older F-cards.

JefferMC, how far away from the VRAD are you?  I'm an estimated 500 feet according to UV Realtime and I only have a raw line rate of 57,755 Kbps.  And I have some decent lines.

I wonder if you may be on one of the newer K-cards as versus myself in which I'm on one of the older F-cards.

37 of 117 (10,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 9:08:48 AM
(0)
Employee
Just my thoughts.......upgrade to six TV stream
enlarge difference so more HD TV streams available before affecting HSIA speeds as still shared bandwidth.
Possible change to compression ratio, less compression to allow for better picture quality.
enlarge difference so more HD TV streams available before affecting HSIA speeds as still shared bandwidth.
Possible change to compression ratio, less compression to allow for better picture quality.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

38 of 117 (10,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 9:25:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

trparky wrote:

Under 500 feet.  I'm not sure what card I'm on.  My VRAD was built in 2009, and I'm not sure what they may have done to it since.

my thoughts wrote:

My thoughts as well,  Which is what drew the wink.

trparky wrote:

Under 500 feet.  I'm not sure what card I'm on.  My VRAD was built in 2009, and I'm not sure what they may have done to it since.

my thoughts wrote:

My thoughts as well,  Which is what drew the wink.

39 of 117 (10,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 9:59:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

They have been upgrading our VRAD or something heavily over the past month. I went from 55,500 to 59,550 within just a month. Hopefully that means upgrades are coming here soon. I have also seen a lot of AT&T trucks in the area lately.

They have been upgrading our VRAD or something heavily over the past month. I went from 55,500 to 59,550 within just a month. Hopefully that means upgrades are coming here soon. I have also seen a lot of AT&T trucks in the area lately.

40 of 117 (10,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 10:14:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

They just powered up a new VRAD in about 4000 feet from the one that serves me, and about 3000 feet closer than the next one before it, i.e. about half way between the existing ones.  They are in the process of installing a new one about 3000 feet further up towards the CO, in the middle of town.  Both of these are along the fiber run already coming from the nearest CO so no new fiber, just new VRADs.  It's like they're about to launch a new push for greater penetration.

I haven't seen them doing anything to my VRAD, however.

They just powered up a new VRAD in about 4000 feet from the one that serves me, and about 3000 feet closer than the next one before it, i.e. about half way between the existing ones.  They are in the process of installing a new one about 3000 feet further up towards the CO, in the middle of town.  Both of these are along the fiber run already coming from the nearest CO so no new fiber, just new VRADs.  It's like they're about to launch a new push for greater penetration.

I haven't seen them doing anything to my VRAD, however.

41 of 117 (10,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 12:08:35 PM
(0)
Voyager

Has anyone successfully bridged their NVG589?  I thought I had mine configured correctly with IP Passthrough, and my port forwarding via my own router (Netgear WNR3400) was working correctly, but it stopped working today.  I set it to IP Passthrough with the mode set at DHCPS-Fixed and entered the MAC of my Netgear router.  Everything was working fine yesterday, but it stopped today, so I am guessing I missed something.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks!

Has anyone successfully bridged their NVG589?  I thought I had mine configured correctly with IP Passthrough, and my port forwarding via my own router (Netgear WNR3400) was working correctly, but it stopped working today.  I set it to IP Passthrough with the mode set at DHCPS-Fixed and entered the MAC of my Netgear router.  Everything was working fine yesterday, but it stopped today, so I am guessing I missed something.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks!

42 of 117 (10,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 1:01:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

hegihome wrote:

Can you do anything that makes it work again?  Reset the router?  Reset the RG?

Can a PC connected to the RG work?

hegihome wrote:

Can you do anything that makes it work again?  Reset the router?  Reset the RG?

Can a PC connected to the RG work?

43 of 117 (10,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 2:12:35 PM
(0)
Voyager

I am at work, but I had my wife reset the RG and then my router, but no luck.  If she plugs her computer directly into the NVG589 then her internet access is fine. 

I am at work, but I had my wife reset the RG and then my router, but no luck.  If she plugs her computer directly into the NVG589 then her internet access is fine. 

44 of 117 (10,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 9:39:22 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by trparky on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:41:46 PM

I was talking with a Tier-2 agent on the phone regarding these new gateways.  I was on the phone because of an unrelated issue but I asked if she could confirm a rumor for me.

I asked her when the new higher speed Internet tiers were going to be released.  Her response was that they are indeed testing the new tiers out west and that it required a new gateway.  She said that she had a meeting regarding the new gateways and the new Internet speed tiers that very morning.  I mentioned that I knew about the NVG589, that pair-bonding would be needed to deploy the faster speeds, and that there were a lot of forum posts talking about that new gateway and her response was that she was surprised that I knew as much as I knew about it.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we're close to a release of these new higher speed Internet tiers.  Considering that the tier-2 agent I talked to said that she had a meeting that very morning about the new tiers lends some credibility to the rumors that the new tiers will be coming very soon.

I was talking with a Tier-2 agent on the phone regarding these new gateways.  I was on the phone because of an unrelated issue but I asked if she could confirm a rumor for me.

I asked her when the new higher speed Internet tiers were going to be released.  Her response was that they are indeed testing the new tiers out west and that it required a new gateway.  She said that she had a meeting regarding the new gateways and the new Internet speed tiers that very morning.  I mentioned that I knew about the NVG589, that pair-bonding would be needed to deploy the faster speeds, and that there were a lot of forum posts talking about that new gateway and her response was that she was surprised that I knew as much as I knew about it.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we're close to a release of these new higher speed Internet tiers.  Considering that the tier-2 agent I talked to said that she had a meeting that very morning about the new tiers lends some credibility to the rumors that the new tiers will be coming very soon.

[ Edited ]
45 of 117 (10,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 7:51:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

FTR, 30 Mbps HSI should be available without pair bonding, but anything faster than that would require it.

FTR, 30 Mbps HSI should be available without pair bonding, but anything faster than that would require it.

46 of 117 (10,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 5:36:16 PM
(0)

hegihome wrote:

Do a traceroute and see where it stops.

hegihome wrote:

Do a traceroute and see where it stops.

47 of 117 (10,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 5:38:39 PM
(0)

trparky wrote:

The K-cards can put out 90M+ at the crossbox. At 1400ft on so-so lines I get 65M at my RG, and that's running through 2 diplexers.

trparky wrote:

The K-cards can put out 90M+ at the crossbox. At 1400ft on so-so lines I get 65M at my RG, and that's running through 2 diplexers.

48 of 117 (10,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 6:19:50 PM
(0)
Guru
I must be on one of the older cards in the VRAD.
I must be on one of the older cards in the VRAD.

49 of 117 (10,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 6:22:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I've never seen anyone's RG report a raw speed faster than 65Mbps.  I assumed it was a limit in the RG.

I've never seen anyone's RG report a raw speed faster than 65Mbps.  I assumed it was a limit in the RG.

50 of 117 (10,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 12:57:41 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by AudioHTIT on Jul 26, 2013 at 7:24:07 PM

Count me as another who's pleased with receiving an NVG589 (the happy camper refered to above) Smiley Happy. The N wireless and Gbps wired ports are working well, the management interface also doing what I need. I suppose I could echo the wish for dual band, but I really have nothing to complain about. Nice unit!

Edit: OK, a guest network would be nice too.

Count me as another who's pleased with receiving an NVG589 (the happy camper refered to above) Smiley Happy. The N wireless and Gbps wired ports are working well, the management interface also doing what I need. I suppose I could echo the wish for dual band, but I really have nothing to complain about. Nice unit!

Edit: OK, a guest network would be nice too.

[ Edited ]
51 of 117 (10,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 2:41:31 PM
(0)
Explorer

So has anyone else with an NG589 checked the main management page: Device > Status > Battery Status? 

Mine says: ! WARNING No battery or battery has no charge

(more info says same thing)

It appears my unit does not have a battery, or a new unit arrived with a bad one. It's been plugged in for several days and also been power cycled with no change.

So has anyone else with an NG589 checked the main management page: Device > Status > Battery Status? 

Mine says: ! WARNING No battery or battery has no charge

(more info says same thing)

It appears my unit does not have a battery, or a new unit arrived with a bad one. It's been plugged in for several days and also been power cycled with no change.

52 of 117 (10,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 7:29:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You could open the battery cover and see whether or not you have a battery.  

I'm wondering, do they provide a battery if you don't get U-verse voice?  Did you get U-verse voice?

You could open the battery cover and see whether or not you have a battery.  

I'm wondering, do they provide a battery if you don't get U-verse voice?  Did you get U-verse voice?

53 of 117 (9,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 7:37:56 AM
(0)
Explorer

Yes, we are 'fully bundled' - voice, data, TV. But this was the first NVG589 this installer had opened so he didn't test much beyond basic functionality. I'll look for the battery cover, thanks for the idea. 

Yes, we are 'fully bundled' - voice, data, TV. But this was the first NVG589 this installer had opened so he didn't test much beyond basic functionality. I'll look for the battery cover, thanks for the idea. 

54 of 117 (9,992 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 11:16:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If it's not there, call customer service and have them send you one... and update the installer's training. Smiley Wink

If it's not there, call customer service and have them send you one... and update the installer's training. Smiley Wink

55 of 117 (9,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 8:29:59 PM
(0)
Explorer

The battery slot is empty ... I'll get into a peaceful state and call support. Smiley Indifferent

The battery slot is empty ... I'll get into a peaceful state and call support. Smiley Indifferent

56 of 117 (9,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 9:07:48 PM
(0)

Is it plugged into a large gray BBU as the power supply? They can also be used and actually keep your wifi up to during power outages rather than just your voip.

Is it plugged into a large gray BBU as the power supply? They can also be used and actually keep your wifi up to during power outages rather than just your voip.

57 of 117 (9,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 8:54:01 PM
(0)
Explorer

The guy who installed it had never seen a 589 before, the voltage wasn't listed and the UPS jack was a different length, he was reluctant to plug the ups in to it. Do you know that the voltage is the same as the other gateways? It sounds like you're saying the internal battery only powers the WAN and VOIP ports?

In any case another tech showed up tonight with a battery and it plugged right in, now the management page says 'normal'. 

The guy who installed it had never seen a 589 before, the voltage wasn't listed and the UPS jack was a different length, he was reluctant to plug the ups in to it. Do you know that the voltage is the same as the other gateways? It sounds like you're saying the internal battery only powers the WAN and VOIP ports?

In any case another tech showed up tonight with a battery and it plugged right in, now the management page says 'normal'. 

58 of 117 (9,688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 12:12:57 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by unrtechie on Aug 1, 2013 at 12:13:48 AM

AudioHTIT wrote:

The Belkin BBU is not certified for use with the 589, thus the reason for the internal battery.  Also, if you saw the power sticker it clearly states that only the supplied power adapter is to be used with it.  I haven't compared the voltages side by side though see what the difference is so its hard to say though I can tell you the battery is about 5500mwh and 7.4V.  As for what the battery does, yes, it is only designed to provide power for a WAN connection and the VoIP which technically is the only reason for a BBU per the ToS.

AudioHTIT wrote:

The Belkin BBU is not certified for use with the 589, thus the reason for the internal battery.  Also, if you saw the power sticker it clearly states that only the supplied power adapter is to be used with it.  I haven't compared the voltages side by side though see what the difference is so its hard to say though I can tell you the battery is about 5500mwh and 7.4V.  As for what the battery does, yes, it is only designed to provide power for a WAN connection and the VoIP which technically is the only reason for a BBU per the ToS.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
59 of 117 (9,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 11:20:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Darknessrise on Aug 8, 2013 at 11:25:40 AM

Anyone with this gateway want to tell me if it's more neighborhood friendly concerning wireless(Only using channels 1,6,11 while on auto mode)?

All of these wireless G 2wires destroy 2.4 GHz.

Now, lets remove all of the AT&T gateways from this picture:

Anyone with this gateway want to tell me if it's more neighborhood friendly concerning wireless(Only using channels 1,6,11 while on auto mode)?

All of these wireless G 2wires destroy 2.4 GHz.

Now, lets remove all of the AT&T gateways from this picture:

[ Edited ]
60 of 117 (9,408 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments