For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
bill_080's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Saturday, January 26th, 2013 6:46 PM

Is it possible for a 3600HGV gateway to get a virus?

Is it possible for a 3600HGV gateway to get a virus?     If so,

1. How can I tell if I have a virus?

2. How do I get rid of the virus?

3. What can I do to avoid getting the virus again?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

No, there is no way that it is able to get a virus. Even though it is a LInux based device, it would have to take administrator privileges, which only att has, to push the firmware to the prom/pram module.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

The gateway is never meant to be a secure connection. It is there to act as a Router with NAT Firewall capabilities. No Router out there creates a secure connection to the Internet, it is what you do with the computer through a VPN connection, or using HTTPS vs HTTP for connecting to a site say your bank, which would create the secure connection.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

Why do you think that you have a virus?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

I don't know if I do or don't have a virus (I don't know how to check).    The reason that I'm asking is because I'm about to rearrange my internet requirements.    I have both general internet needs (e-mail, browsing, file/program downloads, etc), and some "secure" internet needs (financial data, secure data, etc).     I'm currently using the 3600HGV for general "non-secure" needs.

If I start using the 3600HGV for "secure" access, I need to know how to make sure there isn't any malware in the chain (starting with the gateway).   So, the first question is:  Can a virus be glummed onto the gateway?   If so, how do I find it, and kill it?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Not following what you mean by non-secure & secure access. The router is a secure device, unless someone connects to it internally. As for your computers, a person would have to gain access through user password means.

BTW, 100's of people do financial data transactions from home through the Uverse gateways, and never have an issue.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

I used to do financial transactions on machines that I would now call "unsecure", until my identity was stolen.    Since then, I have become really picky.   The virus that stole key data from me was picked up at a Reuters News site (a supposedly safe site).    I had enough anti-virus stuff on my end to catch it right after it happened, but it still happened.    I had to live through a real pain in the tail to clear up the problems that that breach caused.

After some digging around and talking with enough IT people, I've decided that the only way for a connection to be "safe" by my standards is to have a machine on my end that starts off "safe" and never visits anything but a "proven secure" site on the other end (no e-mail, no browsing, nothing but the transfer of secure data).    I realize there's an issue with machines that have micro-processors made outside the U.S., but there's a way to get around that problem.

Anyway, if I use the 3600HGV as a "secure" connection, I want to do what I can to make sure it's safe.   I'm asking here just in case it has come up.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I doubt you got it from the Reuters news site. Most likely picked it up through a email or other site. If you are worried about protection on your computers, use a layered form of protection. That includes only running from a Standard User account, not a Administration account if you use Windows.

Also if you use Internet Explorer, stop and use an alternative browser like Chrome or FireFox. Also using the Web of Trust add-on for either of those two.

Depending on what A/V or Internet Security software you run on your computer, most of them are garbage and not worth using. We mainly use Microsoft Security Essentials and use Chrome on one laptop, and Firefox on the other, and have never had an infection on either machine.

Also to add, a secure connection, is when you have a https connection, or using encrypted VPN.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

The infection did come through Internet Explorer.   I now use Chrome.   When it comes to a Web-of-Trust add on (for Chrome), is this the one you were describing?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wot/bhmmomiinigofkjcapegjjndpbikblnp?hl=en

And, is this the Microsoft Security Essentials that you mentioned?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

My existing A/V software did a good job of finding the infection, but it didn't stop it from happening.    I know it sounds strange that the infection came from a Reuters News site, but that's where it came from.    That hole was open on a lot of sites until it became too much of a problem to ignore.   Since then, the hole has been plugged (and it wasn't just Reuters).   My guess is, that site would have passed any web-of-trust scan, so I would have gotten infected regardless of what A/V software I was running.

Anyway, I have some security questions about the gateway's wireless connection, but I'll ask that as another question.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

To let you in on something, the only prevention there is to keep from getting infected, is by using smart computer & Internet use. Again, doubt it came from Reuters itself, it was most likely a embedded link that served up the trojan.

As for the two links, yes that is both. I also use Adblock Plus with Firefox for further protection, to keep the baddies from popping through.

Web of Trust (WOT) warns you if you are going to a page that has been determined as not good, but I have found out also, there are a few that should not be reported as bad, but show up with the warning.

If you do a web search for the terms "Layered Security", you will get many returns. Any of them will give you an idea of a good Layered Security Approach. Even though most info is dated on most of those sites, they still apply even today.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

gregzoll_1,

Thanks for the help.   I still have a lot of checking/testing to do before I trust this gateway as a "secure" connection, but so far so good.   I'll check out the "Layered Security" links.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.