traxen's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, April 25th, 2015 5:49 AM

Is There a Troubleshooting Tool That Works With the NVG 510 Wireless Router?

My NVG 510 Wireless Router just started getting intermittent on me, it works sometimes and more often than not doesn't work at all.  I just bought a brand new NVG 510 Wireless Router to hopefully fix this problem because I am really missing watching Netflix Movies and YouTube Videos on my Smart TV.

If buying a new NVG 510 Wireless Router doesn't solve these intermittent issues than I am going to look into buying some other Wireless Router or Wireless Adapter Card. I really don't want to trip over a cable that hard wires my Computer and Smart TV together.  I don't have any problem with my U-Verse Broadband just the Wireless. There is no conflict with any other Wireless Devices and the only U-Verse product I have is just the Broadband DSL. Apparently there is no Troubleshooting Test on the AT&T Website that can check that the Wireless Router is working correctly.  That Troubleshooting & Resolve Tool only works for checking Mobile Devices like an iPhone or Microcell.  The 192.168.1.254 website just shows that my wireless router is up.  You name it, I've tried everything to get this piece of junk working.

Cat TongueMy  main question is, are all NVG 510 Wireless Router like this (seen so many problems with them while searching online)?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@traxen You can't buy new 510, only available from ATT to work on ATT system.

Here's the 510 manual:

http://www.ron-berman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nvg510manual.pdf

See SomeJoe's great wireless troubleshooting post:

http://forums.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Especially pay attention for finding the best channel for your area.  Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I bought a never used/never opened and brand new NVG 510 gateway router from an Amazon seller.  If this new router doesn't work for my wireless needs, I will try to buy some kind of router to use just for a wireless gateway, since my current NVG 510 does at least work getting me Online most of the time (knock on wood, because that isn't stable now either).  That should do it - hopefully. If not, I will just connect my Smart TV directly. I will need to figure out someway to prevent tripping on the cable though.  Oh. by the way my stupid NVG 510 wireless is working a little today, but at the same time my DSL internet service is getting spoaradic.  Tried changing channels but that didn't help as well as other settings. I bet this NVG 510 Unit was some kind of refurbished piece of junk.  I was barely able to reply here because my Broadband DSL keeps trying to go down. Thanks for your replies. I just want to be able to simply watch Netflix and YouTube Videos on my huge Samsung SmartTV. I almost didn't need cable anymore.

Rickey

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Bud don't replace the gateway, that's att issue, not yours...... It's the only way your devices are able to communicate is the gateway. It authenticates your user access with att so that your internet can be alive to the world... It's there problem to fix it, not yours. Buy a $30 Asus wireless router, call it a day. Gateway is more than likely having issues with NAT or anything could cause probs. it's att.....anytime your modem receives firmware updates etc you could be having conflicting issues etc.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I just don't like some AT&T rep coming into my house everytime there is a problem, that is why I bought my own NVG 510 Unit.  If that didn't bother me so much I would have went with Suddenlink Communications - they want to come into your house for any reason even if you just want to install a DVR or Tivo unit you rent from them (anyone can self install them). I like my privacy too much I guess.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Completely understand.... Also keeps from paying monthly rental. I would completely disable wifi on gateway, jump on Amazon and buy a router for cheap. I just signed up 2 days ago for uverse for my sister, I set her up a wireless router from the start. I hate ISp gateway VoIP routers, too much can go on. I disabled NAT (routing) completely of the gateway, and let her wireless router handle all of the traffic. Follow the how to guides, there simple. Hit me up if you need anything

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I received my brand new NVG 510 from the Amazon seller.  I was afraid to set it up, but nothing went wrong.  Now I can watch my Netflix and Youtube videos and movies on my huge Smart TV again.  It was worth it to spend the little bit of money to avoid having some AT&T representative coming into my house and messing with my computer.  If this NVG 510's wireless ever goes out, I will just try buying some other model that AT&T's U-verse high speed DSL will allow or use some kind of wireless bridge/passthrough.  I might just get rid of my cable because ever since I bought my Smart TV I haven't been watching much regular TV.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.