Cubeweb's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, April 20th, 2014 12:15 AM

How to set a public static ip for NVG589

Greetings,

I have been with Uverse for 8 years now, had the old 2Wire modem/router.  I own a web design/hosting business.  I have one server at home that I need to RDP into as well as a Win 7 Pro box.  With the old 2-Wire router I was able to set a  public static IP for it.  I have ports configured for the server and other box and thier IP's are set to private in the NVG589.  I cannot find where to set the Public IP for NVG589 to static. It keeps rolling therefore I am unable to RDP into my server or the Win 7 box.

I have been all over this forum and don't see any situation simialr to mine.  I am not trying to bridge, I am not using a secondary router, just the NVG589.

Any help will be appreciated.  I am fairly proficent with IT techonolgy but this is making me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Unless you have purchased the monthly service that provides you with a block of external public IP's, you don't have any available.  You have a single dynamic public address assigned to the RG.  You may route traffic that arrives at the RG to machines within your network, either specifically by port routing, or generally by DMZplus IP Passthrough mode (Motorola has a different name), which also passes the dynamic public address to the designated machine inside your network via its DHCP response.

For instance, you could assign external port 3389 to one of your internal addresses (e.g. your server) on port 3389.  Then you could assign external 3390 to a different internal address (e.g. your Win 7 PC) on port 3389.  Then, from outside your network, you RDP to the RG's public address port 3389 for the server, or to the RG's public address and port 3390 for the Win 7 PC.  The RG translates the port with the NAT and your Win 7 PC sees it as a request to port 3389.

The "dynamic" public address is in reality fairly static.  It's hard to get it to change, even if you want to.  Look to see what it is and it'll probably be that for months, if not years.

Did I miss the boat on what you're trying to accomplish?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Spot on M8T!! You caught the correct boat 🙂 I appreciate your quick response and excellent assistance. have a great easter weekend!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Cool.  Glad I could help.  I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.