melody_1's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 9:04 PM

Closed

How can I extend the range of my wifi signal

When I had DSL I got strong wireless signals in my basement and backyard. Now, with Uverse, I rarely get a wireless signal in those two locations.  How can I change that?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

This should work for what your wanting to do: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx#

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

Different wireless routers have different transmission profiles.

I have to assume that the U-Verse router is in the exact same location as your former DSL router. Right? If not, then you probably have a situation of the signal being absorbed by cabinetry, walls, or floors. Other than a repeater, as suggested by beebeesa, you may consider relocating the U-Verse router within the limits of your requirements.

In addition, it is possible that there may be competition for the channel that your U-Verse router is using, a neighbor perhaps. There are many shareware applications for your PC's operating system that will "sniff" the air for all wireless routers and then you will see if there is any competition for your router's channel.

I found that my U-Verse router has some challenges with my Apple devices and did not support high speed (N) wireless. Consequently, I added an Apple AirPort Extreme to my U-Verse router, disabling my U-Verse router's wireless. I now get high speed wireless, no further issues with my Apple devices, and more than doubled my range.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you.  A friend also recommended the Netgear WN2000RP.  I picked it up today and placed it one floor lower than the router and I'm getting a great signal outside and in my basement.  so thank you.  It was easy to connect.  Easy solution.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you.  I think I just had a better wireless router before UVerse was installed.  It is in the exact same location.  I should probably have picked up on this when the ATT Tech Installer could not get an acceptable wireless connection in my kitchen or basement.  DUH!  Anyway, I tried changing channels and that did nothing.  Beebeesa's suggestion is working perfectly right now.  I bought it this a.m.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I've found the NetGear wifi repeaters are bad fixes. Why?

1) Expensive, I'd need 4 to fix my problem
2) You are carrying 2x the wifi traffic with every repeater?   What ?

a) the router sends info over the wifi to the repeater, and the repeater sends same info over the wifi again, this causes a slowdown
b) the two channels confused each other

I'd rather figure out how to set up another 2wire slave, or even better find a PlugIn that carries traffic over the electricial systems and then sets up a repeater at the far end of the house.  Like Asock but  I cant' get that to work either

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I have an ATT 3800HGV RG. My house is hardwired with Cat6 running to various TV's, BluRay, AppleTV etc. My problem is with using an ipad that has to connect via wifi. I'm not getting a reliable signal in a bedroom. The RG is located in a closet on the other side of the house and cannot be moved. I'm reading about various boosters/extenders but they all seem to be grabbing the signal via wifi and then repeating the signal. I was hoping to be able to connect that type of device via a hardwired connection in my bedroom and then have that wifi signal broadcast just feet away to my ipad. Are there boosters/extenders that can be connected via hardwire or is there other options available? I would prefer something that is just PnP.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

An extender does read the Wi-Fi packets and rebroadcasts them.  As such it clutters up the Wi-Fi landscape, but can be a quick fix for some issues.

If you have a Cat5e/Cat6 run going somewhere that you would like to have a Wireless Access Point (or a Wireless Router configured as a wireless Access Point), as long as that run doesn't have a U-verse TV receiver on it, you should be able to do that.  Configure the WAP with the same SSID and other security information as the RG (and fix each on a different channel) and users can wander the house and switch between the two at need.

It's not terribly complicated to set up... have a look at post 13 in this thread.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

An extender does read the Wi-Fi packets and rebroadcasts them.  As such it clutters up the Wi-Fi landscape, but can be a quick fix for some issues.

If you have a Cat5e/Cat6 run going somewhere that you would like to have a Wireless Access Point (or a Wireless Router configured as a wireless Access Point), as long as that run doesn't have a U-verse TV receiver on it, you should be able to do that.  Configure the WAP with the same SSID and other security information as the RG (and fix each on a different channel) and users can wander the house and switch between the two at need.

It's not terribly complicated to set up... have a look at post 13 in this thread.

OK, I think your link is essentially the same as this, correct?:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6871396_connect-2wire-router-linksys-router.html

Scholar

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

I just got U-Verse this week and because I've had bad experience with WiFi before, (constant dropped signal) I was a bit worried. I had a top of the line Netgear router. It sucked. I tried moving it as much as possible, tried every channel, still dropped the signal way too often.

My U-Verse installer used a new product, D-LinkDWA-140 RangeBooster N USB Adapter that plugs into any USB 2.0 on your desktop and receives the WiFi signal from the U-Verse router, that's behind my "smart" TV. its only a couple inches tall but far out performs the older router. While I got mine free, it's relatively cheap, under $20 at many online venders.

How you use this depends on your equipment. My "smart" TV supports DLNA, so by plugging the TV's ethernet connection into the U-Verse router that sets up a wireless home network to stream music, video from my computer to the large screen TV several rooms away.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I purchased the recommended netgear extender and it works OK for internet access but I cannot get the wireless receiver to pair with it.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.