For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ewokscott's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, January 27th, 2014 2:10 AM

How can I connect 2 wired devices to one outlet?

I have a U verse receiver and PC in the same room. I had the PC connected to the gateway using wireless and the receiver was connected hard wired to an ethernet outlet in the wall back to the gateway. The PC now has an issue with the wireless network card so I am having to use the wired connection that was for the receiver. So now I can only use either the PC or the TV, but not both. Is there any kind of hub or switch I can use to allow me to connect the receiver and PC hardwired into one wall outlet so I can use them both at the same time?

Any advice gratefully received.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

ewokscott - It is not a good idea to mix TV and computer access on the same cat5 back to the RG. The TV tends to flood the switch. Can you run another wire? Monoprice,com is a good source.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

You could also buy two switches with VLAN capability, but that sounds a rather expensive solution.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks all for the quick replies and for shedding some light on the issue, much appreciated. Unfortunately running another wire isnt an option really, the gateway is on the other side of the house. Looks like getting the wireless issue on the PC fixed or a wireless receiver will be my best option.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Just wanted to offer an update on this issue. I had a U-Verse tech come out to address a different internet problem. I mentioned this issue to him and he said it could be done using a gigabit switch. I now have the one wired outlet from the gateway feeding the gigabit switch and a U-Verse receiver and 2 PCs hardwired from the switch and it works just fine, no interruptions at all and the speed is much better compared to the wireless.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

@ewokscott wrote:

Just wanted to offer an update on this issue. I had a U-Verse tech come out to address a different internet problem. I mentioned this issue to him and he said it could be done using a gigabit switch. I now have the one wired outlet from the gateway feeding the gigabit switch and a U-Verse receiver and 2 PCs hardwired from the switch and it works just fine, no interruptions at all and the speed is much better compared to the wireless.

Yes, normally you can do this.  However, you cannot place a wireless access point or router on that switch that is shared with the U-verse receiver without some major issues.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.