Kylee2950's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 12:16 AM

Help! What do I need to add service to another room in my house???? Ethernet, telephone, or coaxial?

I had U-verse installed in my home last summer(June2010). I ordered U-verse TV, Internet, and Home phone service. The technician that came to installed my service used my phone line.  I set up my computer next to the phone outlet and he placed the residential gateway "box" right next to the phone outlet. From the gateway he ran Ethernet cord to my computer and then ran Ethernet into my livingroom(the next room over from the gateway) There he placed an outlet and then connected it to my television. At that time the only television I had was that TV in my livingroom. Now I would like to have u-verse TV in my bedroom. Currently there aren't any "outlets" as in for a telephone or coaxial cable in that room.

What kind of "outlet" or connections do I need? Will I need to run Ethernet all the way from the gateway to my bedroom? That is all the way across my home! If I add a phone outlet to the bedroom can I get service that way? Help I would love to stay with U-verse but it might just be easier to add a coaxial cable outlet to my bedroom and switch to Comcast. Anyone that could help me with this issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, either will work. Since your first TV is cat5 I would do another cat5.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

The connection will need to be either a coaxial able or an ethernet cable.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Im sorry for not understanding but If I were to run a coax cable to my bedroom how does that work? My uverse was installed through my phone line then Ethernet to my devices. My coax wasn't involved in the installation so it doesn't have any "service" connected to it.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

You need a wire from your U-Verse RG (residential gateway) to your new tv location.  That wire can be ethernet (cat5) or coax.  You will also need a STB (set-top-box) that runs $7 per month.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

I would like to add to the two answers that have already been provided -

You can see that the TV signal currently comes from the gateway and goes into a set top box (maybe a DVR) via a cat5 cable. To bring service to your bedroom you need to replicate that - Basically, a cat 5 cable or coax from the gateway to another set top box. "outlets" may or may not be included.

Thing is- it is not a self install job. If you call for an additional TV/STB they will want to have an installer add it. The installer will also do the appropriate wiring.

The wiring is important if the coax is used because the cable ends must be replaced.

You said to run new cable is too far for you. So, let the installer do it.

Just call in to have a new STB added & ask how much it will cost.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

i disagree only on one point there ... you said its not a self install, but you can and i did rewire my whole house with cat5e, so therefore it can be a self install except for the settopbox.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. My dad is an electrician so I'd like for him to run wiring. So just to be clear, I need him to run either cat5 or a coax cable from the RG to the new location?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.