• 

4 Messages

Friday, December 27th, 2013 8:08 AM

Giganet lan possible?

Hi all,

I have the:

ManufacturerPace Plc
Model3801HGV

I'm using it for TV, phone and internet.

My question is, is there anyway to hook up anything so I can get a gigabit wired connection to the internet?  I need it because I'm using a ZyXel 325 NAS and getting poor performance because of the 100 Mb lan port on the 3801HGV.  I have a Dlink Dir-825 router that I can use or would be open to buying somethig to let me get the lan speed I need. AT&T says they don't have naything with Gb ports so I'm stuck.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you would need a Gigabit Ethernet switch to provide Gigabit Ethernet to the entire LAN.  This will improve speeds within your home between the NAS and your wired Ethernet computers.  It will probably not improve speeds to wireless computers, and will definitely not improve speeds if you access the NAS from the Internet.

Uplink the Gigabit Ethernet switch to the 3801HGV with one link, and then plug all wired computers into the switch.  Plug your NAS into the switch as well.  If you have IPTV service, leave all TV boxes plugged into the 3801HGV directly, don't put them on the switch.

The recommended Gigabit Ethernet switches that are known to work well with U-Verse are the NetGear GS-105, GS-108, and GS-116 switches (5 ports, 8 ports, and 16 ports respectively).

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

The new NVG589 Residential Gateway has gigabit ethernet ports on it.  You could always add a gigabit switch to your existing gateway but that would only give you gigabit speed within your network.  The RG would still be a choke point on the other side of whatever you provide.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I am trying to do this exact thing and it's not working for me.  I've got my 2wire router working fine, broadcasting a wireless internet signal as well as wired internet signal.  I plug an ethernet cable from the 2wire router to my Linksys SE2800 8-port switch and then plug my computers and printer and media player into the 8-port switch but nothing on the switch can see the network.  Any thoughts?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks, your reply was most helpful, I will ask my rep about gettin the  NVG589 Residential Gateway.  That would solve my problem all around as I'm just concerned with speed on my internal network.

Thanks

Michael

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I am on a 24/3 package whatever they call it.  I don't really need the speed up to 45 but it would be worth the $10 just for the router.  Something to think about. I will probably go with the switch and ask about the  NVG589 Residential Gateway that was suggested as an answer on here on here.

Thanks again,

Michael

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks everybody for all your help. I took some suggestions and got the Netgear GS-105 Gigabit Switch, my speed from my computer to my ZyXel 325 NAS went from a creeping 11Mbs to over 60 Mbs, much more then I expected. Problem solved

Thanks to you all

Michael

Scholar

• 

128 Messages

10 years ago

Make sure you have a proper CAT5 or higher cable connected between the 2Wire RG and the Linksys Switch. Check the indicator light on both switch to make sure they agree with the connection max connection speed supported by each device. The link should report 100MB.

Once this is done plug the computer into the Linksys switch and then try to issue a PING to 192.168.1.254 which should be the IP address of the 2Wire Gateway. If the PING works try connecting to the Internet. If that works add the printer and repeat the test.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.