U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 12, 2012
1:14:36 PM
Gateway Issue w Toshiba VoIP Phone

My 2Wire 3800 gateway I just received from ATT is not working with my Toshiba IPT2010-SD and the ATT technician just says it's incompatible which I find hard to believe.  It worked fine with my prior service provider's modem.

My 2Wire 3800 gateway I just received from ATT is not working with my Toshiba IPT2010-SD and the ATT technician just says it's incompatible which I find hard to believe.  It worked fine with my prior service provider's modem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 18, 2012 4:27:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

I got it working finally after discovering the MAC# labels on the voip phone is completely different than the MAC# that the 2Wire identifies when connected by Ethernet port.  Originally assumed it was a MAC # for ATT provided device since didn't match anything of my company or personal devices.  Once that riddle solved I opened access to through firewall via DMZplus setting. 

Thanks for your assistance and patience...lesson learned on trusting labels.     

Accepted Solution

Gateway Issue w Toshiba VoIP Phone

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2012 1:25:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Sep 12, 2012 at 1:45:40 PM

PolterGeist - IP phones can be tricky getting everything set up right. You could check with Toshiba to see if they have any suggestions.

Found this suggestion - http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/uverse-voice_setup/message-id/3996/prin...

PolterGeist - IP phones can be tricky getting everything set up right. You could check with Toshiba to see if they have any suggestions.

Found this suggestion - http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/uverse-voice_setup/message-id/3996/print-single-message/true/page/1

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Gateway Issue w Toshiba VoIP Phone

[ Edited ]
2 of 15 (2,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2012 2:37:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks...I've pulled my hair out and now regretting changing internet service providers and may just cancel Uverse and revert back to old provider over this since I was assure my VoIP phone wouldn't be an issue from ther very beginnging.  My IT is seeing if our Toshiba phone system vendor has any ideas...rediculous experience so far due to time I've waisted with this VoIP connectivity issue.

Thanks...I've pulled my hair out and now regretting changing internet service providers and may just cancel Uverse and revert back to old provider over this since I was assure my VoIP phone wouldn't be an issue from ther very beginnging.  My IT is seeing if our Toshiba phone system vendor has any ideas...rediculous experience so far due to time I've waisted with this VoIP connectivity issue.

3 of 15 (2,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2012 12:16:41 PM
(0)
Professor
Last person that had issues, found out that was their IT department that was at fault, which it took the vendor in pointing it out, not ATT.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

4 of 15 (1,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2012 1:55:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well I wish is was an issue with my IT department, but after spending hours on the phone with multiple ATT techs and the TechConnect service no one has ownership of the solution.  The best I can tell is ATT requirements for the 2Wire 3800HGV-B they deploy purposfully prevents usage of non ATT voip phones.  The solution someone provided with the 2Wire 3600 doesn't work for the 3800 as it does not even recognize a device present for the port the voip phone is plugged into.  But this is one riddle I'm done spending any more time on and going back to comcast service/modem where my voip phone was a non issue and just plug and play.

Well I wish is was an issue with my IT department, but after spending hours on the phone with multiple ATT techs and the TechConnect service no one has ownership of the solution.  The best I can tell is ATT requirements for the 2Wire 3800HGV-B they deploy purposfully prevents usage of non ATT voip phones.  The solution someone provided with the 2Wire 3600 doesn't work for the 3800 as it does not even recognize a device present for the port the voip phone is plugged into.  But this is one riddle I'm done spending any more time on and going back to comcast service/modem where my voip phone was a non issue and just plug and play.

5 of 15 (1,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2012 2:21:48 PM
(0)
Professor
You could always try opening the ports needed in Application tab in firewall, for the Phone IP. Have they swapped out phone equipment to make sure that you do not have a bum phone?

6 of 15 (1,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2012 9:21:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

Now phone equipment swapped out...just ordered Uverse TV and internet for my home office to replace comcast.  I have a voip phone my company sent me to use for home office and works fine when plugged into comcast modem, but not with 2Wire.

Now phone equipment swapped out...just ordered Uverse TV and internet for my home office to replace comcast.  I have a voip phone my company sent me to use for home office and works fine when plugged into comcast modem, but not with 2Wire.

7 of 15 (1,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2012 9:22:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

Meant "no" phone equipment swapped out.

Meant "no" phone equipment swapped out.

8 of 15 (1,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2012 10:02:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Here is a link to where someone helped a user connect a VoIP Toshiba phone to their office phone system thru a 2 Wire.  It's a differnt type Toshiba phone but the ports needed should be the same for all Toshiba phones.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Here is a link to where someone helped a user connect a VoIP Toshiba phone to their office phone system thru a 2 Wire.  It's a differnt type Toshiba phone but the ports needed should be the same for all Toshiba phones.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 15 (1,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 18, 2012 4:27:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

I got it working finally after discovering the MAC# labels on the voip phone is completely different than the MAC# that the 2Wire identifies when connected by Ethernet port.  Originally assumed it was a MAC # for ATT provided device since didn't match anything of my company or personal devices.  Once that riddle solved I opened access to through firewall via DMZplus setting. 

10 of 15 (1,871 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2012 4:38:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Good for you - never give up - Thanks for providing closure - most posters are not as thoughtful
Good for you - never give up - Thanks for providing closure - most posters are not as thoughtful

11 of 15 (1,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:28:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have a similiar problem. I was forced to go from DSL to U-Verse in Feb 2012. My Toshiba IP-5000-Series phone worked unit about mid-June then it stopped connecting to my IP address. Phone worked with DSL and U-Verse until June.

Two other co-workers had the same issue. AT&T said they did not do anything - sounds suspicious that we all had problems as the same time.

Swapped out the Gateway, swapped out the phone, changed the phone settings - no resolution. The only common Toshiba tech and my IT say it is a phone and U-verse compatibility issue. Can not change phones because using standard company phone.

Everyone using U-Verse and this phone has problems. No one has issues with Verizon FiOS, WOW but they are not in my immediate area. The only choice I have is Time Warner Cable, which is my next stop and I will probably change.

Anyone have success with U-Verse and the toshiba IP5000-Series phone?

I have a similiar problem. I was forced to go from DSL to U-Verse in Feb 2012. My Toshiba IP-5000-Series phone worked unit about mid-June then it stopped connecting to my IP address. Phone worked with DSL and U-Verse until June.

Two other co-workers had the same issue. AT&T said they did not do anything - sounds suspicious that we all had problems as the same time.

Swapped out the Gateway, swapped out the phone, changed the phone settings - no resolution. The only common Toshiba tech and my IT say it is a phone and U-verse compatibility issue. Can not change phones because using standard company phone.

Everyone using U-Verse and this phone has problems. No one has issues with Verizon FiOS, WOW but they are not in my immediate area. The only choice I have is Time Warner Cable, which is my next stop and I will probably change.

Anyone have success with U-Verse and the toshiba IP5000-Series phone?

12 of 15 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:45:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
cwo4navyret - Does the phone connect at your company or a third party site?
Is it not possible for a tech to view your attempt to come in on that termination?
How about a VPN? Can you establish a VPN from your site to the other end & have the telephone connection in the tunnel?
cwo4navyret - Does the phone connect at your company or a third party site?
Is it not possible for a tech to view your attempt to come in on that termination?
How about a VPN? Can you establish a VPN from your site to the other end & have the telephone connection in the tunnel?

13 of 15 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:58:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

aviewer - Thanks, I'm not technical, but as far as I know,  I am connecting directly to my company. I can connect to my company via a VPN, but the issue seems to be that the phone is not finding the IP address through the Gateway.

I've had three AT&T techs in my home, my IT folks have checked everything they can on my computer and remotely, we have set the proper MAC settings on the phone, and set the firewall to DMZ+.The AT&T techs, on-site and over the phone, have not been able to fix the problem. I have had two AT&T techs talk with my IT people while trying to fix the problem on site.

It cannot set the IP address and conect to the primary server.

aviewer - Thanks, I'm not technical, but as far as I know,  I am connecting directly to my company. I can connect to my company via a VPN, but the issue seems to be that the phone is not finding the IP address through the Gateway.

I've had three AT&T techs in my home, my IT folks have checked everything they can on my computer and remotely, we have set the proper MAC settings on the phone, and set the firewall to DMZ+.The AT&T techs, on-site and over the phone, have not been able to fix the problem. I have had two AT&T techs talk with my IT people while trying to fix the problem on site.

It cannot set the IP address and conect to the primary server.

14 of 15 (719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 6:10:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
cwo4navyret - Sounds like your VPN is to your computer & the phone is connected separately. Ask your IT support if there is a way to connect the phone through the VPN.

Another idea is - Is there a way to enter the IP address manually? Or, specify a different DBS server? Usually a DNS server used to translate a URL to an IP. If that translation is not working, then you should be able to point to a different DNS server in the phone or enter the ip directly/
cwo4navyret - Sounds like your VPN is to your computer & the phone is connected separately. Ask your IT support if there is a way to connect the phone through the VPN.

Another idea is - Is there a way to enter the IP address manually? Or, specify a different DBS server? Usually a DNS server used to translate a URL to an IP. If that translation is not working, then you should be able to point to a different DNS server in the phone or enter the ip directly/

15 of 15 (717 Views)