Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 25, 2012
6:08:48 PM
View profile
Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

Any one know when a firmware update will be available for the motorola nvg510. It's very frustrating piece of ###. The constant robbing of my browsers home page (Firefox and IE) because the device can't keep connection to the DNS servers 99.99.99.53 and 153. It has gotten very annoying. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the stupid thing from hijacking my home page url ???   "http://www.google.com/cgi-bin/redirect.ha" (this takes me to a bogus error message about phone lines)  takes a lot of wrangling to get it away from the device..

Any one know when a firmware update will be available for the motorola nvg510. It's very frustrating piece of ###. The constant robbing of my browsers home page (Firefox and IE) because the device can't keep connection to the DNS servers 99.99.99.53 and 153. It has gotten very annoying. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the stupid thing from hijacking my home page url ???   "http://www.google.com/cgi-bin/redirect.ha" (this takes me to a bogus error message about phone lines)  takes a lot of wrangling to get it away from the device..

Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

61 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
View all replies
(61)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2013 9:11:06 AM
(1)
Teacher

I quickly see this becoming a pass the buck thingy, After I finish final exams in college this week I am going to write a letter to AT&T along with documentation dates and times. This will be my first step. By reading some of the other posts I agree most techs that show up are Telephone maintenance old school techs , many have been working on phone lines before DSL was ever invented. The reason the techs blame the modem is they are seeing this about 70% of the time the come out to a call, either AT&T needs to train them or they need to be dispatching real IT tech to customers. But as I know in business running a company or corporation is always about capitalism and making a profit and tech support does not make profits. Marketing does.

I quickly see this becoming a pass the buck thingy, After I finish final exams in college this week I am going to write a letter to AT&T along with documentation dates and times. This will be my first step. By reading some of the other posts I agree most techs that show up are Telephone maintenance old school techs , many have been working on phone lines before DSL was ever invented. The reason the techs blame the modem is they are seeing this about 70% of the time the come out to a call, either AT&T needs to train them or they need to be dispatching real IT tech to customers. But as I know in business running a company or corporation is always about capitalism and making a profit and tech support does not make profits. Marketing does.

Re: Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

31 of 62 (10,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2013 6:53:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

@Bauwls

Hello. I had a tech show up yesterday found some issues both in and out of the house , put in a dedicated line for IP DSL, checked for CRC errors, and took out the motorola NVG510 and gave me a IP DSL modem only Motorola model # 2210 , and I use a Cisco Linksys WRT54GS2 Router now. Its been 32 hours since and I am still up a runnig with no problems download speed 5.60 upload 0.72.

@Bauwls

Hello. I had a tech show up yesterday found some issues both in and out of the house , put in a dedicated line for IP DSL, checked for CRC errors, and took out the motorola NVG510 and gave me a IP DSL modem only Motorola model # 2210 , and I use a Cisco Linksys WRT54GS2 Router now. Its been 32 hours since and I am still up a runnig with no problems download speed 5.60 upload 0.72.

32 of 62 (10,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2013 4:53:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

Since using a Motorola DSL Modem 2210 and a Linksys Cisco N900 router I have not had any more drops what so ever.

Since using a Motorola DSL Modem 2210 and a Linksys Cisco N900 router I have not had any more drops what so ever.

33 of 62 (10,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 2:31:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

I recently had a problem with connectivity; my new macbook pro (Dec '12) recognizes the wirlless signal from my Motorola NVG510 modem/router, but has no connection to the Internet. It may come back in every so often, work for a while, then drop download speeds to dial-up levels, then go out again.

All green lights on the modem though, and my 2008 Macbook Pro and iPhone don't lose the Internet at all. I have noticed that my wife's iPad loses connection also infrequently, usually while streaming radio.

Apple looked at the laptop and couldn't find anything wrong; indeed when the new macbook uses other wireless connections it doesn't have ANY issue. Perfect performance. It's only when it's at home. 

Someone raised a point that multiple devices (we have 7) using the router could be creating a problem, but nothing else seems to be effected. They each have different IPs

So.... AT&T? Any thoughts? Beyond calling a tech, I don't know what to do.

I recently had a problem with connectivity; my new macbook pro (Dec '12) recognizes the wirlless signal from my Motorola NVG510 modem/router, but has no connection to the Internet. It may come back in every so often, work for a while, then drop download speeds to dial-up levels, then go out again.

All green lights on the modem though, and my 2008 Macbook Pro and iPhone don't lose the Internet at all. I have noticed that my wife's iPad loses connection also infrequently, usually while streaming radio.

Apple looked at the laptop and couldn't find anything wrong; indeed when the new macbook uses other wireless connections it doesn't have ANY issue. Perfect performance. It's only when it's at home. 

Someone raised a point that multiple devices (we have 7) using the router could be creating a problem, but nothing else seems to be effected. They each have different IPs

So.... AT&T? Any thoughts? Beyond calling a tech, I don't know what to do.

34 of 62 (9,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 5:39:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

To solve the nvg510 redirect problem on a Windows 7 computer, I have found it necessary to:
1.  Disable IPV6 in the modem control pages, at Home Network>Config
2.  Delete all temporary internet files and history, etc.
3.  Close the browser.
4.  Open a command prompt and enter
ipconfig /flushdns
5. Try going to www.google.com to verify the problem is now gone (i.e. you are no longer redirected)
6. If desired, re-enable IPV6 in the modem controls

To solve the nvg510 redirect problem on a Windows 7 computer, I have found it necessary to:
1.  Disable IPV6 in the modem control pages, at Home Network>Config
2.  Delete all temporary internet files and history, etc.
3.  Close the browser.
4.  Open a command prompt and enter
ipconfig /flushdns
5. Try going to www.google.com to verify the problem is now gone (i.e. you are no longer redirected)
6. If desired, re-enable IPV6 in the modem controls

35 of 62 (9,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 9:18:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

2902 is the message I keep getting I need the update as well with uverse these modems suck when do the new ones get relesed and can you sign me up for them kudos 

2902 is the message I keep getting I need the update as well with uverse these modems suck when do the new ones get relesed and can you sign me up for them kudos 

36 of 62 (8,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 7:22:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just had my 3rd NVG two weeks ago.  Still getting a flashing green service led in the mornings, rendering it useless.

My contract ends in January, and if there is not any substantial increase in realiablity, Cox Cable here I come.

Yeah they suck too, but I will just have to deal with throtteling issues rather than crap equipment.

I just had my 3rd NVG two weeks ago.  Still getting a flashing green service led in the mornings, rendering it useless.

My contract ends in January, and if there is not any substantial increase in realiablity, Cox Cable here I come.

Yeah they suck too, but I will just have to deal with throtteling issues rather than crap equipment.

37 of 62 (8,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 6:53:40 AM
(0)
Tutor
Same again this morning. took an hour of trying to fix it using the diagnostics. Finally had to unplug it again. ATT, can you advise what to do? Had techs out 3 times already.
Same again this morning. took an hour of trying to fix it using the diagnostics. Finally had to unplug it again. ATT, can you advise what to do? Had techs out 3 times already.

38 of 62 (8,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2013 12:34:25 PM
(0)
Employee

Hello rp123,

I'm sorry about the trouble you are experiencing with your Internet service and the NVG510. I am understanding the green service LED light on the gateway begins blinking then results in loss of services. I can help you investigate the cause of this and coordinate a resolution. I have sent you a private message to gather more details to locate your account and perform some tests that will help isolate the source of trouble.

SadathCS

ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hello rp123,

I'm sorry about the trouble you are experiencing with your Internet service and the NVG510. I am understanding the green service LED light on the gateway begins blinking then results in loss of services. I can help you investigate the cause of this and coordinate a resolution. I have sent you a private message to gather more details to locate your account and perform some tests that will help isolate the source of trouble.

SadathCS

ATTU-verseCare

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

39 of 62 (8,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 5:35:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had this same problem for 18 months with my ATT U-verse connection. A friend who is an IT Professional gave it his best troubleshooting it, finding this forum in the process and still not resolving the problem. Few days ago I found a related web article that really did / has fixed these connection problems. It was fixed by shutting off a running service known as Bonjour Service. It's an Apple program the article said that ends up in our PCs and reaks havoc with connections. So I was able to shut off and disable Bonjour Service and the connection ever since has come up clean on boot or reboots numerous times since. I cannot tell you how to shut off Bonjour or see if it is on your PC, nor did I catch the address of the webpage that told me this. But if you can do so by Googling, this will solve the problem as it did for me. Hope it works for you too....

I had this same problem for 18 months with my ATT U-verse connection. A friend who is an IT Professional gave it his best troubleshooting it, finding this forum in the process and still not resolving the problem. Few days ago I found a related web article that really did / has fixed these connection problems. It was fixed by shutting off a running service known as Bonjour Service. It's an Apple program the article said that ends up in our PCs and reaks havoc with connections. So I was able to shut off and disable Bonjour Service and the connection ever since has come up clean on boot or reboots numerous times since. I cannot tell you how to shut off Bonjour or see if it is on your PC, nor did I catch the address of the webpage that told me this. But if you can do so by Googling, this will solve the problem as it did for me. Hope it works for you too....

40 of 62 (8,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2013 10:37:50 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Oct 27, 2013 at 11:15:51 AM

I still get this  error even when att has came out 6 times to fix my line [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I hate att

I still get this  error even when att has came out 6 times to fix my line [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I hate att

[ Edited ]
41 of 62 (8,275 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 4:18:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

For 9 days from the Bonojur Service removal fix my connection worked entirely fine. Then this a.m. the red light was on in modem for service. Having gotten fed up waitng on hold for support, i realized the only thing I  hadn't tried was to change the DSL adapter that plugs in the phone outlet jack and connects PC and actual phone to my line. Once it rebooted this time with the new adapter/converter, it workes fine again. For what it's worth, there are gremlins in this machinery at times....

For 9 days from the Bonojur Service removal fix my connection worked entirely fine. Then this a.m. the red light was on in modem for service. Having gotten fed up waitng on hold for support, i realized the only thing I  hadn't tried was to change the DSL adapter that plugs in the phone outlet jack and connects PC and actual phone to my line. Once it rebooted this time with the new adapter/converter, it workes fine again. For what it's worth, there are gremlins in this machinery at times....

42 of 62 (8,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2013 2:23:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

My ATT connection problem began when i upgraded from the 3 MB/S tier to the 12 MB/S tier. There was mention of that elsewhere being a factor in connection problems, so maybe there's somethign to that. Service dept was out many times trying things that would work, some for a while. But overall it improved from talking to the actual field technicians and listening to their answers to my questions and what they did helped in my case (by disconnecting an unused bedroom phone jack; they called it a T-trap or B-Trap or something electronic to it and that made mine work except -- ), but i still had this one annoying problem, that the phone tech support wanted fee based tech supoort for which i said no. I make this entry because i realized after i made the last one and shut off  my PC the red light was on modem again. So i knew -also due to high call volume in the middle of the USA night, that there had to be one of those occassional random outages going on when the red light was then last on. But beside this being a temporary probelm, -this type outage thing was always up again the next day. But i had this other totally annoying problem with my connection whenever i would seem to be online but not really - it wouldn't go where you wanted, the internet or email. This is where taking the Bonjour Service out solved the problem. The connection used to show up as a home and a public network/s at the same time until: --i had to disabled the connection and Windows 7 help wizards for Network Adapter and reset it and then it was up correct, showing home network only and working fine. Had to do this every time the PC booted or rebooted -- UNTIL I TOOK OUT THE BONJOUR SERVICE! It is still working fine. I wish i knew where i saw how to detect and take the Bonjour Service out step by step for you but i don't have that info. Maybe someone would like to post it, so others can try it? To see if this is really a step towards the solution of this problem...

My ATT connection problem began when i upgraded from the 3 MB/S tier to the 12 MB/S tier. There was mention of that elsewhere being a factor in connection problems, so maybe there's somethign to that. Service dept was out many times trying things that would work, some for a while. But overall it improved from talking to the actual field technicians and listening to their answers to my questions and what they did helped in my case (by disconnecting an unused bedroom phone jack; they called it a T-trap or B-Trap or something electronic to it and that made mine work except -- ), but i still had this one annoying problem, that the phone tech support wanted fee based tech supoort for which i said no. I make this entry because i realized after i made the last one and shut off  my PC the red light was on modem again. So i knew -also due to high call volume in the middle of the USA night, that there had to be one of those occassional random outages going on when the red light was then last on. But beside this being a temporary probelm, -this type outage thing was always up again the next day. But i had this other totally annoying problem with my connection whenever i would seem to be online but not really - it wouldn't go where you wanted, the internet or email. This is where taking the Bonjour Service out solved the problem. The connection used to show up as a home and a public network/s at the same time until: --i had to disabled the connection and Windows 7 help wizards for Network Adapter and reset it and then it was up correct, showing home network only and working fine. Had to do this every time the PC booted or rebooted -- UNTIL I TOOK OUT THE BONJOUR SERVICE! It is still working fine. I wish i knew where i saw how to detect and take the Bonjour Service out step by step for you but i don't have that info. Maybe someone would like to post it, so others can try it? To see if this is really a step towards the solution of this problem...

43 of 62 (8,061 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 7:59:41 PM
(1)
Tutor

Sadath,

Thank you for all of your assistance.

Your commitment to customer service is outstanding!

To my forum peers, Sadath worked off line with me, with

a deterimied resolve to fix my problem.  I have been up and

running for several weeks without incident now. 

-bob

Sadath,

Thank you for all of your assistance.

Your commitment to customer service is outstanding!

To my forum peers, Sadath worked off line with me, with

a deterimied resolve to fix my problem.  I have been up and

running for several weeks without incident now. 

-bob

44 of 62 (7,906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 5:56:31 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello Bob, thank you for stopping by to update us on your status. If you ever need anything in the future or have any questions, you know where to find us!

Thanks again,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello Bob, thank you for stopping by to update us on your status. If you ever need anything in the future or have any questions, you know where to find us!

Thanks again,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

45 of 62 (7,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 1:44:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have U-Verse, an NVG510, and severe connectivity issues.  It will consistently drop connection when attempting to load any given page, or when launching (or playing) online games.

I've had 3 visits from technicians, each of which claimed a different cause and proposed solution for the inconsistent connection issues.  They've cleared up noise on the line directly outside of the house, and down the street where our phone line apparently connects to the larger network, but none of that has improved the connection at all.  Its to the point now that it cuts out a few times in any 5 minute period.

It would seem that members above got personal support from a representative, and I would appreciate if anyone available would assist.

I have U-Verse, an NVG510, and severe connectivity issues.  It will consistently drop connection when attempting to load any given page, or when launching (or playing) online games.

I've had 3 visits from technicians, each of which claimed a different cause and proposed solution for the inconsistent connection issues.  They've cleared up noise on the line directly outside of the house, and down the street where our phone line apparently connects to the larger network, but none of that has improved the connection at all.  Its to the point now that it cuts out a few times in any 5 minute period.

It would seem that members above got personal support from a representative, and I would appreciate if anyone available would assist.

46 of 62 (7,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 2:56:38 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Ruinari,

I apologize for all the inconveniences you are having with your service, but I will be glad to help out. I will have someone from our team send you a private message to gather your information and work with you further to resolve this issue.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi Ruinari,

I apologize for all the inconveniences you are having with your service, but I will be glad to help out. I will have someone from our team send you a private message to gather your information and work with you further to resolve this issue.

-David T

47 of 62 (7,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 10:41:45 PM
(0)
Voyager

Just found this forum after 7 years of problems with my internet.  In 2006 I got DSL with SBC, any where up to 5 times a week I would have to reset the dsl modem so it would reconnect, repeated calls to SBC and visits still did not fix it.  Then ATT took over and I changed to U-Verse with the NVG510 and a 12mb line and phone about 1 year ago. LOL no change it got worse the problem was still there but with the NVG510 interface I saw it would not get past Authentication or IP checks. After ATT comming out and testing the line they found out that there was noise interfering with my internet connection. Also they found out that about 20+ years ago someone was told to remove and replace a connection up the street from me but they did not replace it because it was covered in an epoxy like substance, and in that connection my phone line split one goes to ATT and the other they have no idea where it goes but is the reason for my constant connection problems.  After me calling ATT multiple times it went to someone to get aproval to fix it finnaly, there idea of fixing it was putting in a filter as a temporary fix.  Well I still have to rest the modem weekly.

Someone posted about rooting the NVG510, yes it can be done, but why would you when it gets reset it reverts back to what ATT sends it when it connects.  There should be more user setting we can change, like the DNS servers for IPv4 and IPv6 and a way to put it in a true bridge mode without having to root it.

Just found this forum after 7 years of problems with my internet.  In 2006 I got DSL with SBC, any where up to 5 times a week I would have to reset the dsl modem so it would reconnect, repeated calls to SBC and visits still did not fix it.  Then ATT took over and I changed to U-Verse with the NVG510 and a 12mb line and phone about 1 year ago. LOL no change it got worse the problem was still there but with the NVG510 interface I saw it would not get past Authentication or IP checks. After ATT comming out and testing the line they found out that there was noise interfering with my internet connection. Also they found out that about 20+ years ago someone was told to remove and replace a connection up the street from me but they did not replace it because it was covered in an epoxy like substance, and in that connection my phone line split one goes to ATT and the other they have no idea where it goes but is the reason for my constant connection problems.  After me calling ATT multiple times it went to someone to get aproval to fix it finnaly, there idea of fixing it was putting in a filter as a temporary fix.  Well I still have to rest the modem weekly.

Someone posted about rooting the NVG510, yes it can be done, but why would you when it gets reset it reverts back to what ATT sends it when it connects.  There should be more user setting we can change, like the DNS servers for IPv4 and IPv6 and a way to put it in a true bridge mode without having to root it.

48 of 62 (7,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 6:26:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having a very similar issue myself.  Some nights (like tonight) my modem loses connection nearly a dozen times in a single evening.  I periodically must work from home, and these frequent losses of connection are very frustrating.  I've done some searching, and some folks indicated that a low SN Margin can cause issues with connectivity (mine is generally 6 or below).  Do I have any option other than calling support and waiting on hold forever?

I'm having a very similar issue myself.  Some nights (like tonight) my modem loses connection nearly a dozen times in a single evening.  I periodically must work from home, and these frequent losses of connection are very frustrating.  I've done some searching, and some folks indicated that a low SN Margin can cause issues with connectivity (mine is generally 6 or below).  Do I have any option other than calling support and waiting on hold forever?

49 of 62 (7,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 7:17:21 PM
(0)
Employee
If not already done, install cat5 wire from NID direct to RG location, with new jack install.
Cable should not run next to any electrical wiring, by or cross any electrical light fixtures particularly fluorescent or CFC lights.

SN is measure of signal compared to relative noise on or around wiring
Ways to improve, better quality wiring, shorter distance, less signal applied (lower profile)
All these to help improve, if on 6 or 12 M internet, better to be on 3M working than higher and dropping.

If problems particular at evening, night looking for light sources turning on, some controllable, some not.
http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Vampire-attacks-the-connection-goes-down-at-sunset-up-a...
If not already done, install cat5 wire from NID direct to RG location, with new jack install.
Cable should not run next to any electrical wiring, by or cross any electrical light fixtures particularly fluorescent or CFC lights.

SN is measure of signal compared to relative noise on or around wiring
Ways to improve, better quality wiring, shorter distance, less signal applied (lower profile)
All these to help improve, if on 6 or 12 M internet, better to be on 3M working than higher and dropping.

If problems particular at evening, night looking for light sources turning on, some controllable, some not.
http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Vampire-attacks-the-connection-goes-down-at-sunset-up-at-sunrise/m-p/3506425/highlight/true#M10398

50 of 62 (7,258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 1:04:51 PM
(0)
Voyager

I have cat5 wire installed.  I know for a fact the interferance is not due to anything in my house, because one of the many people you have sent out to my house disconnected my house completly from the phone box outside put a tone generator on it and tested the line at various points from my house to the main ATT building and thats when they found my problem that has been there for 20+ years.  I have had 1.5meg and 3meg DSL, 6meg and now 12meg U-Verse but the problem is still there.  The upload speed is way to slow on anything less than 12meg for having 4 computers up and running all the time.  It will not matter what speed I get and who from as long as they use the phone lines it will have nothing but problems.  If I try cable internet I would end up paying at least $40 or more for the same speed and options, and yes I have checked on it, and they have not fully upgraded there system where I live so getting a constant speed of 10meg or better is out of the question.  It would be nice to finnaly have the problem fixed that should have been fixed 20+ years ago instead of a temporary fix that still does not work.

I have cat5 wire installed.  I know for a fact the interferance is not due to anything in my house, because one of the many people you have sent out to my house disconnected my house completly from the phone box outside put a tone generator on it and tested the line at various points from my house to the main ATT building and thats when they found my problem that has been there for 20+ years.  I have had 1.5meg and 3meg DSL, 6meg and now 12meg U-Verse but the problem is still there.  The upload speed is way to slow on anything less than 12meg for having 4 computers up and running all the time.  It will not matter what speed I get and who from as long as they use the phone lines it will have nothing but problems.  If I try cable internet I would end up paying at least $40 or more for the same speed and options, and yes I have checked on it, and they have not fully upgraded there system where I live so getting a constant speed of 10meg or better is out of the question.  It would be nice to finnaly have the problem fixed that should have been fixed 20+ years ago instead of a temporary fix that still does not work.

51 of 62 (7,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 6:31:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

How do I set the DNS servers on the Modem?

How do I set the DNS servers on the Modem?

52 of 62 (6,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 6:33:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

Will the Pace modem work with UVerse broadband?

Will the Pace modem work with UVerse broadband?

53 of 62 (6,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 11:06:06 AM
(0)
Voyager

You can't set it in the nvg510 modem that one of it's problems.  You have to set the DNS on your computer.

You can't set it in the nvg510 modem that one of it's problems.  You have to set the DNS on your computer.

54 of 62 (6,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 11:12:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

From what I've read,you can neither change the DNS servers nor turn off DHCP on the Motorola NVG510. This is currently causing havoc on my Windows domain and I believe that AT&T has been utterly irresponsible in forcing small businesses to accept what is clearly a residential gateway.

If anyone can recommend an alternative box that will work on our network, please let me know as I'm about ready to take a hammer to this box, cancel AT&T U-verse, and call the local DSL provider up the street to see how quickly we can get provisioned.

From what I've read,you can neither change the DNS servers nor turn off DHCP on the Motorola NVG510. This is currently causing havoc on my Windows domain and I believe that AT&T has been utterly irresponsible in forcing small businesses to accept what is clearly a residential gateway.

If anyone can recommend an alternative box that will work on our network, please let me know as I'm about ready to take a hammer to this box, cancel AT&T U-verse, and call the local DSL provider up the street to see how quickly we can get provisioned.

55 of 62 (6,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 12:43:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:45:29 PM

Xenophore wrote:

The U-verse-speak name for the role that the NVG510 plays is "Residential Gateway" or RG for short.  And your bold words are true.  While there are alternative boxes for U-verse they will also still retain this same shortcoming.  However, you can always place your own router behind the RG, and put the RG in IP Passthrough mode with respect to your router, and your life should be pretty close to normal.

I'm also thinking that one of the reasons AT&T is trying to phase out plain-ADSL for U-verse DSL is an end run around the requirements of plant sharing inherent in plain-ADSL.  I.e. if AT&T no longer offers ADSL on a line, do they have to allow an CLEC access to that line?

Xenophore wrote:

The U-verse-speak name for the role that the NVG510 plays is "Residential Gateway" or RG for short.  And your bold words are true.  While there are alternative boxes for U-verse they will also still retain this same shortcoming.  However, you can always place your own router behind the RG, and put the RG in IP Passthrough mode with respect to your router, and your life should be pretty close to normal.

I'm also thinking that one of the reasons AT&T is trying to phase out plain-ADSL for U-verse DSL is an end run around the requirements of plant sharing inherent in plain-ADSL.  I.e. if AT&T no longer offers ADSL on a line, do they have to allow an CLEC access to that line?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
56 of 62 (6,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 10:04:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

OK I am a longtime ATT DSL customer who has switched to ATT Uverse Max and was supplied the Motorola NVG510. I am having the same issues as most others here with loosing my internet conectivity. I have had techs out to my house and they have found no issues with the line or with anything in my house. I have had the NVG510 replaced twice now and it will work great for a couple of months then I start running into these issues again. I have also tried using open DNS & Google puplic DNS with no real improvement. I see that some people have had some luck with "certian" representatives but I do not know how to contact a "Good" rep and I have not seen any post that show a way to fix this issue. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

OK I am a longtime ATT DSL customer who has switched to ATT Uverse Max and was supplied the Motorola NVG510. I am having the same issues as most others here with loosing my internet conectivity. I have had techs out to my house and they have found no issues with the line or with anything in my house. I have had the NVG510 replaced twice now and it will work great for a couple of months then I start running into these issues again. I have also tried using open DNS & Google puplic DNS with no real improvement. I see that some people have had some luck with "certian" representatives but I do not know how to contact a "Good" rep and I have not seen any post that show a way to fix this issue. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

57 of 62 (6,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 12:23:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Mine cuts out every five of six minutes somedays, especially weekends.

Mine cuts out every five of six minutes somedays, especially weekends.

58 of 62 (5,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 3:42:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
I'm having the same problem. I have had NINE techs out and the problem is still not fixed. I should honestly be refunded for the garbage service I have been experiencing.
I'm having the same problem. I have had NINE techs out and the problem is still not fixed. I should honestly be refunded for the garbage service I have been experiencing.

59 of 62 (5,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 12:09:53 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @cebrin

I'm sorry you're experiencing some issues with your service. Please send us a private message by clicking here and one of our specialists will be happy to help. Please include your name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Hello @cebrin

I'm sorry you're experiencing some issues with your service. Please send us a private message by clicking here and one of our specialists will be happy to help. Please include your name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

60 of 62 (5,285 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments