orrml04's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, April 26th, 2012 1:08 AM

Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

Any one know when a firmware update will be available for the motorola nvg510. It's very frustrating piece of ###. The constant robbing of my browsers home page (Firefox and IE) because the device can't keep connection to the DNS servers 99.99.99.53 and 153. It has gotten very annoying. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the stupid thing from hijacking my home page url ???   "http://www.google.com/cgi-bin/redirect.ha" (this takes me to a bogus error message about phone lines)  takes a lot of wrangling to get it away from the device..

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T Is sending me another modem I dont know if it will be a Motorola NVG510 but when I called last night and reported the internet falling offline again after the tech was at my house Tuesday they agreed to send me another modem , are there other modems that AT&T can send me ? Or can I go back to using the 2Wire Home Portale ?

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

I believe the only ADSL2+ Modems are the Motorola 2210, NVG510, and 2Wire 2701 HGV-B. 2210 are not being proactively shipped and I don't believe Customer Care can ship them out however technicians may still carry them on their tricks. 2701 HGV-B is not carried in ATT's warehouse any longer.

So no, NVG510 is the modem ATT is using for NVG510. A Pace modem should be coming out in the next 6 months.

You'd have to post the model number of the 2Wire so I can help you with that.. there are some 2Wires that are just ADSL (DSL) not ADSL2+ (UV IPDSL).

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@ Bauwls

Resonse to this, You'd have to post the model number of the 2Wire so I can help you with that.. there are some 2Wires that are just ADSL (DSL) not ADSL2+ (UV IPDSL).

SN********* also listed on the Bar Code 

I think this is the model # 2701HG-B

Let me know if there is something missing

From what I was told by the AT&T tech I was switched over from ATM-DSL to IP-DSL , and if anyone told me that there are fiber optics lines in my area then I was given incorrect information there are only Copper lines to the HUB in downtown, This may be an issue that the Mororola NVG510 is designed for a UVERSE Fiber Optics line and not Copper lines.

When my Motorola NVG510 stops allowing me to go online my webbrowser comes up with this on the screen.

http://go microsoft com/cgi-bin/ipdiags ha

Thank You

[edited for privacy]

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

2701 HG-B is your old ADSL modem which is not compatible with U-verse ADSL2+. There is nothing wrong with Fiber Optics vs Copper lines in your area. From the DSLAM to your house is copper, that is what ADSL2+ is and specifically what the modem is designed for. ADSL2+ and ADSL are are different standards with different frequency spectra, they require different modems and different DSLAMS. Both technologies are DSL though and run on copper for the 'last mile' to the NID on your house.

Can you screenshot 'http://go microsoft com/cgi-bin/ipdiags ha' for me please when you see it next? Is that the screen that shows a NAD error and gives the message to either click Continue or Do Not Show? If you don't want to screenshot it, respond with the error number (NAD 2902, NAD 3000, etc) instead.

Also, there is a difference between the NVG510 'hijacking' your browser page and no internet output from the modem. When you can't get online, try to open up command prompt (windows vista: Start -> type cmd -> click on black cmd.exe box up top; windows 7: start -> type cmd -> press enter) and just type 'ping google.com' without the apostraphes. If your ping test looks like this with 4 replies, then the issue is with the diagnostics page and not that you're dropping connection.

ping

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

Thank You. By the way I just received a replacement Motorola NVG510 via UPS just abou an hour ago, so I will be swaping it out if and when this modem goes down.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@Bauwls,

Yes sir that's exactly what I do when m y Internet becomes slow or web pages wont load or are slow to load. I ruin a Ping or Tracert command  from the command prompt, and I get time outs. and or no replys. Now late last night I put the replacement Motorola NVG510 in and mailed the  other one back this morning, so far everything is still up and running.

Thanks

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah hopefully everything works out fine with the new modem, however the issue is very rarely a defective modem. If you are having full dropouts and the Broadband light turns red, you'll definitely need a technician.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@Bauwls well just as I thought the problem was fixed by replacing the modem the CGI-Bin dot ha as returned. Only by unplugging the NVG510 for 30 seconds and re plugging it in corrects this, This time it went down about twenty four hours after installing the new modem.  So here are some snapshots.Motorola-NVG510-CGI-BIn-20130511-2146 Hrs CST.jpg20130511-2139hrs-CST CGI-Bin-Ha.jpg20130511-2055 hrs CST-Motorola NVG510.jpg

3 Attachments

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah that's not a modem issue, it's notifying you that there is no Broadband link to your modem. It may take a few technicians, but this is an issue with your service. I would also recommend asking for credits due to the intermittent hsia once ATT fixes it.

This issue will occur with both the 2701hgv-b and the 2210 until fixed.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

I quickly see this becoming a pass the buck thingy, After I finish final exams in college this week I am going to write a letter to AT&T along with documentation dates and times. This will be my first step. By reading some of the other posts I agree most techs that show up are Telephone maintenance old school techs , many have been working on phone lines before DSL was ever invented. The reason the techs blame the modem is they are seeing this about 70% of the time the come out to a call, either AT&T needs to train them or they need to be dispatching real IT tech to customers. But as I know in business running a company or corporation is always about capitalism and making a profit and tech support does not make profits. Marketing does.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.