DonNewcomb's profile

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

Saturday, June 29th, 2013 1:26 PM

Fallback plan: Spare gateway?

I have U-verse Internet-only (6 Mbps) service via a 2-Wire 3600HGV RG. The other day I was in a thrift store where I saw an ATT 2-Wire 2701HG-B RG. Since it was only $1 I bought it. My idea was that if my RG ever bites the dust I'll have a potential cheap replacement ready to go. In the past, I've done this with DSL service.

My question is, "Was this a waste of a whole dollar?" Would ATT force me to purchase a new/reconditioned RG from them or can one provide his own (used) gateway? Is the 2701HG-B compatible with my level of service? Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Don, it was a bad purchase but overall we've all had a case of buyers remorse 🙂 for all intents and purposes you'd have to get an ATT RG, but I'd ask someone about a maintenance plan and see if that is covered under the terms, most times Uverse has same day service for repairs that are called in before 4pm so you would be ok but not "prepared" as you'd like to be.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

11 years ago

The 2701 is compatible with ADSL2+ while you have VDSL2.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@DonNewcomb wrote:

I have U-verse Internet-only (6 Mbps) service via a 2-Wire 3600HGV RG. The other day I was in a thrift store where I saw an ATT 2-Wire 2701HG-B RG. Since it was only $1 I bought it. My idea was that if my RG ever bites the dust I'll have a potential cheap replacement ready to go. In the past, I've done this with DSL service.

My question is, "Was this a waste of a whole dollar?" Would ATT force me to purchase a new/reconditioned RG from them or can one provide his own (used) gateway? Is the 2701HG-B compatible with my level of service? Thanks!

Why do you think it was $1?  You couldn't use some other users old 2701 (Not for VDSL as noted above), it was linked to his account, not yours.  This unit is being phased out of IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

Two words: Door stop.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

11 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

Why do you think it was $1?  You couldn't use some other users old 2701 (Not for VDSL as noted above), it was linked to his account, not yours.  This unit is being phased out of IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+. 😉

It was $1 because it was in the bin with the computer cables and connectors. The humane society thrift store does not spend a lot of time evaluating and pricing their merchandise. I appreciate the information about its non-usibility. However, at the time I felt it was a reasonable purchase because I have bought regular DLS modems in thrift shops,  set them up on a different account and they worked just fine.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

11 years ago

@saaved12 wrote:

Don, it was a bad purchase but overall we've all had a case of buyers remorse 🙂 for all intents and purposes you'd have to get an ATT RG, but I'd ask someone about a maintenance plan and see if that is covered under the terms, most times Uverse has same day service for repairs that are called in before 4pm so you would be ok but not "prepared" as you'd like to be.

Yeah, I'm really upset about wasting that $1. Gosh, just think of all the things I could have done with it. Burger King has 50¢ soft-serve cones. And there's McDonald's whole $1 menu. Smiley Wink

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

11 years ago

Anyone know if that thing still passes traffic while it doesn't have a signal? Could probably use it as an AP if it does.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

11 years ago

@Darknessrise wrote:

Anyone know if that thing still passes traffic while it doesn't have a signal? Could probably use it as an AP if it does.

I don't actually know if it has WiFi or not. One thing I didn't get for my whole $1 was the power supply.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@DonNewcomb wrote:

@mibrnsurg wrote:

It was $1 because it was in the bin with the computer cables and connectors. The humane society thrift store does not spend a lot of time evaluating and pricing their merchandise. I appreciate the information about its non-usibility. However, at the time I felt it was a reasonable purchase because I have bought regular DLS modems in thrift shops,  set them up on a different account and they worked just fine.

No, because it was a door stop as skeeter already told you above.  Just a piece of junk he wanted someone to make him $1 richer.

You have not set them up as a primary modem on an ATT account though. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

Consider the $1 as a donation to the humane society.

You did something good.  Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.