Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 17, 2014
4:27:23 AM
View profile
FEC Errors and conflicting information from Phone support vs inside line tech

I have the Motorola 589 Gateway.  When the inside tech replaced my old 589 we started talking about the line stats.  He said the FEC errors reset back to zero every 15 mins.

1) is that true, do they go back to zero every 15 mins?

2) if so what is an acceptable #, 100/minute?

I've had to call for technical support twice in two weeks (on average every 15 mins the TV picture freezes for 5 seconds...it is like 5 seconds has been spliced out...happens on live TV and recorded TV).  Both times Tier One support said I had line problems and both times the inside tech said there is nothing wrong with the line and has swaped out ethernet cables, DVR and gateway.

Who should I trust?

I have the Motorola 589 Gateway.  When the inside tech replaced my old 589 we started talking about the line stats.  He said the FEC errors reset back to zero every 15 mins.

I've had to call for technical support twice in two weeks (on average every 15 mins the TV picture freezes for 5 seconds...it is like 5 seconds has been spliced out...happens on live TV and recorded TV).  Both times Tier One support said I had line problems and both times the inside tech said there is nothing wrong with the line and has swaped out ethernet cables, DVR and gateway.

Who should I trust?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 17, 2014 8:38:18 AM
(0)
Employee

While you do not see the stats reset when checking 192.168.1.254, the RG does reset stats every 15 minutes on Uverse reports. A tech has access to these both as past 4 hours in 15 minute blocks and past 48 hours in 15 minute blocks. The data is then available as entire 2 day report for past 30 days.

FEC are corrected errors, average 100 /minute or less (1500/15 minutes). There are situations which can cause the rate to be exceeded such as thunder storms, microwave ovens (seen it), and others.  http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoot/interference.php

Tier support generally looks at history, (past shows errors, several storms over a week time could be cause) tech looks at both, does not know what happened several days ago but current (last 4 hours) does not show any problems.

Install the myatt app or go to myatt.com login into account (email and password) and go to troubleshoot and resolve. This runs the same tests as tier support runs, if problem found will create a service ticket. If no problem found, inside issue look at cables between receivers, TV. Try factory resetting receivers and RG to ensure have latest software. 

Loose cabling can be a part of issue for freeze/pixel as well as voltage on back of TV feeding to receiver to RG showing as errors. Inexpensive voltage testers can be found at local hardware stores, if voltage on back of TV you have a grounding problem, especially if do not have 3 way outlets.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

FEC Errors and conflicting information from Phone support vs inside line tech

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 17, 2014 8:38:18 AM
(0)
Employee

While you do not see the stats reset when checking 192.168.1.254, the RG does reset stats every 15 minutes on Uverse reports. A tech has access to these both as past 4 hours in 15 minute blocks and past 48 hours in 15 minute blocks. The data is then available as entire 2 day report for past 30 days.

FEC are corrected errors, average 100 /minute or less (1500/15 minutes). There are situations which can cause the rate to be exceeded such as thunder storms, microwave ovens (seen it), and others.  http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoot/interference.php

Tier support generally looks at history, (past shows errors, several storms over a week time could be cause) tech looks at both, does not know what happened several days ago but current (last 4 hours) does not show any problems.

Install the myatt app or go to myatt.com login into account (email and password) and go to troubleshoot and resolve. This runs the same tests as tier support runs, if problem found will create a service ticket. If no problem found, inside issue look at cables between receivers, TV. Try factory resetting receivers and RG to ensure have latest software. 

Loose cabling can be a part of issue for freeze/pixel as well as voltage on back of TV feeding to receiver to RG showing as errors. Inexpensive voltage testers can be found at local hardware stores, if voltage on back of TV you have a grounding problem, especially if do not have 3 way outlets.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: FEC Errors and conflicting information from Phone support vs inside line tech

2 of 3 (610 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2014 3:50:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

houston01 wrote:

Who should I trust?

FECs will not be  a problem until you're getting 10-100 million/15min block.  Thousands is not a problem as they are corrected. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

houston01 wrote:

Who should I trust?

FECs will not be  a problem until you're getting 10-100 million/15min block.  Thousands is not a problem as they are corrected. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: FEC Errors and conflicting information from Phone support vs inside line tech

3 of 3 (590 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments