dj88burch's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Monday, December 9th, 2013 4:02 PM

Do I have to have a wireless Gateway?

I have a wireless gateway: Motorola NVG589. I also have WPS device that came with my service, I'm guesing it's for my TV package. I have a cable package with two boxes. One wired and one remoted for moving the TV anywhere. 

I really liked having my own router and want it back because it has more options, uPnP, than my att provided gateway. Do I have to have the gateway? 

Please let me know if there is any way to switch them out. I have a NetGear WNDR3700 v4 Dual band router that I would like to use. 

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

No.......you have to use the AT&T gateway for internet and TV.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

dj88burch - You are correct I kind of zeroed in on the parts of least interest to you. Sometimes, it takes a little back and forth.

You must have an att gateway that supports the service you ordered & you pay either one-time ownership or rent by the month depending on which gateway is provided. I am not prepared to discuss these details.

You can leave the gateway & add your own equipment to it. There are a number of different methods, that I am not prepared to discuss further than the mention in my first post. I suspect they are not going to satisfy your needs because the gateway is still going to prevent them.

I interpreted limiting your wireless devices as a range problem. But, if it is a feature set, that is a different issue. You can turn off the wi-fi & connect your own, but if the feature requires the gateway to process the data & it does not have the capability you will be blocked.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable in these specifics will come along and be able to give you the info you require.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

dj88burch - Here are a few tidbits you may be able to use until someone can provide more detail.

I believe the WPS or WAP is for the wireless TV receivers, as you speculate. These must remain if you want wireless TV receivers. They cannot be extended. But, should not impact your internet service.

You can change your wireless internet service in many ways that are described in other threads. Keep in mind, if you want to use apps such as uverse for iphone, you want any additions you make to be part of the same uverse network. Not another network.

I believe the simplest way to do this is this repeater - http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990041&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufacturer=&q_model

Some may say it is an inefficient way to do the job. But, it is simple & works. Other similar devices may not work.

Another way is to turn off the u-verse wireless & connect another LAN-LAN.

For wired connections you will need your own expertise or understand what is written in the various threads.

Also, if you do introduce a new wired device, do not run both TV and internet through it. You risk flooding it with the TV. Ideally, the TV would run direct back to the U_verse modem.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the reply aviewer. 

Forgive me for not understanding your solution, I might have not stated my question clearly. I don't see why I need a WiFi range extender. I'm not experiencing any range issues. AT&T has provided me with a Gateway, Motorola, that is in my office with the WAP box, for TV I'm guessing. 

My TV and DVR are setup in seperate locations, living room and bedroom. I'm just wanting to know if I HAVE to use their gateway, $8/ month. Or can I take the gateway back and use my own router, Netgear.

I don't like the Gateway they gave me because it's limiting what my wireless devices can access or I'm experiencing incompatibility issues with the Gateway and my devices. I can't access any Google services, or movie streaming services. So what would be the point of having those devices if I can't use their main fuctions?

So, is substituting my att provided gateway with my own Netgear router possible? If not why?

Thanks again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.