Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Jul 10, 2013
5:43:32 AM
Data Cable for 2-wire

Hello.

I have the 3801 2-wire modem. I want to move it to another room, and I purchased a 50ft. cat5e patch cable only to find out that the connector didn't match.

My question is for the phone jack to the back of the modem (green cable) can I use a regular phone line, or do I need something special?

50 foot isn't too long is it?

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

I have the 3801 2-wire modem. I want to move it to another room, and I purchased a 50ft. cat5e patch cable only to find out that the connector didn't match.

My question is for the phone jack to the back of the modem (green cable) can I use a regular phone line, or do I need something special?

50 foot isn't too long is it?

Thanks in advance.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 10, 2013 6:23:04 AM
(0)
Employee
Prefer cat cable, normal phone cable is not cat5, as you have already purchased cable just need a coupler (two females RJ 45s) to connect purchased cable to green data cable plugging into RG provided walk jack is RJ45 (can purchased cable plug direct into wall jack). Please staple new run to baseboard preferred over running under carpet to eliminate tripping hazards.

Under most circumstances adding 50 feet should not affect performance, if your current distance is marginal it may (drop about 1M for every 100 feet of distance). Installing UV real time and posting screen shots would allow more accurate response, ideally the shorter the distance from NID to RG the better.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Data Cable for 2-wire

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 10, 2013 6:23:04 AM
(0)
Employee
Prefer cat cable, normal phone cable is not cat5, as you have already purchased cable just need a coupler (two females RJ 45s) to connect purchased cable to green data cable plugging into RG provided walk jack is RJ45 (can purchased cable plug direct into wall jack). Please staple new run to baseboard preferred over running under carpet to eliminate tripping hazards.

Under most circumstances adding 50 feet should not affect performance, if your current distance is marginal it may (drop about 1M for every 100 feet of distance). Installing UV real time and posting screen shots would allow more accurate response, ideally the shorter the distance from NID to RG the better.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Data Cable for 2-wire

2 of 6 (1,069 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 7:16:48 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ricky8540 on Jul 10, 2013 at 7:17:52 AM

Thanks for replying my thoughts.

So you're saying that a coupler that is RJ45 on both ends will connect the cat5e patch cable I bought with the green cable that came with modem?

Just to be sure you understand the cat5e patch cable I bought will plug in to the wall jack just fine, but it won't fit in the back of the 2-wire.

So a RJ45 coupler will work on the green cable as well?

Thanks.

Thanks for replying my thoughts.

So you're saying that a coupler that is RJ45 on both ends will connect the cat5e patch cable I bought with the green cable that came with modem?

Just to be sure you understand the cat5e patch cable I bought will plug in to the wall jack just fine, but it won't fit in the back of the 2-wire.

So a RJ45 coupler will work on the green cable as well?

Thanks.

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (1,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 8:18:55 AM
(0)
Employee
That is correct, basically data on center pins RJ11 pins 2,3 and RJ45 pins 4,5 the RJ 45 coupler will take RJ11 plug lining up center pins.
That is correct, basically data on center pins RJ11 pins 2,3 and RJ45 pins 4,5 the RJ 45 coupler will take RJ11 plug lining up center pins.

4 of 6 (1,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 5:23:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the info .

That's what I will do then.

cheers.

Thanks for the info .