Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 10, 2014
4:58:45 PM
View profile
DNS Configuration - NVG510
I, unfortunately, was recently talked into "upgrading" my DSL to U-verse - so I could save 5 dollars a month. I have encountered an issue with the NVG510. Try as I might, I am simply unable to envision a situation where it would be beneficial to lock down the DNS configuration so that a person is unable to change it. What is the purpose of it? Is there a way to "unlock" this so you can manually change your DNS servers without having to bridge another router? Had I known this was going to happen I would have just stuck with my old DSL - it was half the speed that it is now but at least it was functional.
I, unfortunately, was recently talked into "upgrading" my DSL to U-verse - so I could save 5 dollars a month. I have encountered an issue with the NVG510. Try as I might, I am simply unable to envision a situation where it would be beneficial to lock down the DNS configuration so that a person is unable to change it. What is the purpose of it? Is there a way to "unlock" this so you can manually change your DNS servers without having to bridge another router? Had I known this was going to happen I would have just stuck with my old DSL - it was half the speed that it is now but at least it was functional.

DNS Configuration - NVG510

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 6:40:24 PM
(1)
Expert
Unfortunately, DNS settings are hard-coded in all U-Verse routers, because some U-Verse services (VOIP and IPTV) use DNS names that only the AT&T DNS servers can resolve.

To use your own DNS settings, you can use your own router behind the NVG510, or you can make individual DNS entries on each device.

Unfortunately, DNS settings are hard-coded in all U-Verse routers, because some U-Verse services (VOIP and IPTV) use DNS names that only the AT&T DNS servers can resolve.

To use your own DNS settings, you can use your own router behind the NVG510, or you can make individual DNS entries on each device.

Re: DNS Configuration - NVG510

2 of 2 (667 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments