phb2234's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, May 29th, 2014 8:02 PM

D-Link DAP-1320 wireless network extender "kills" Verizon Wireless cell phone extender (SCS-26UC4)

Has anyone experienced this problem and solved it? What was the silver bullet that did it?

My residential gateway is a 2Wire model 3800HGV-B. I also have a Verizon Wireless cell phone extender connected to an Ethernet port on the gateway. I recently added a D-Link DAP-1320 wireless network extender in an effort to improve Wi-Fi coverage at home. I've correctly configured the D-Link device and it is running current firmare. When the D-link is plugged in and active, it "kills" my SCS-26UC4 cell phone extender in about 15 minutes. The only way to get the cell phone extender back on line is to uplug the D-Link and reboot the SCS26-UC4 and leave the D-Link unplugged.

Good Wi-Fi coverage at home or (any) cell phone service at home? One shouldn't have to choose between them.

D-Link technical support has not been very helpful.

Verizon Wireless tech support theorizes that the D-Link is hosing up the VPN tunnel that the SCS-26UC4 uses to talk to the Verizon network. He suggested putting the SCS-26UC4 into a DMZ. Tried that, set it up as DMZplus on the gateway. Problem persists. What next?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

I can only think that it may be something with the D-Link router messing with the way some packets are being routed and causing the packets meant for the SCS-26UC4 to be routed out to the D-Link instead after a certain period of time, as for some reason our router is determining that as the best possible path. If you know what IP or port the SCS-26UC4 traffic is routing on, you can try to setup a packet filter rule, or you can try to implement another router to split these 2 devices into completely different subnets. I would think the router would be the best option.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @phb2234,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your D-Link wireless extender and Verizon Wireless Cell phone extender.

One thing to look for is to see if the D-Link wireless extender is causing any issues with overflooding the NAT sessions on the router. To check it:

1. When you notice the SCS-26UC4 lose connection, go to your computer and go to the U-verse router GUI page at http://192.168.1.254.
  2. Select the tab Settings at the top.
  3. Select the sub-tab Diagnostics
  4. Select the sub-tab NAT

From there, you will see the session table. If it is showing 0/1024 available, then something is exhausting all the connections on your router causing some devices not being able to connect online.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your attention and suggestion.

I performed the check that you described. With the DAP-1320 unplugged and the SCS-26UC4 extender on line and functioning, NAT was sitting at 992/1024 available. I plugged in the DAP-1320, waited for it to initialize, then waited for the SCS-26UC4 extender to fail. That took around 17 minutes. I left the DAP-1320 plugged in and rechecked NAT, it was sitting at 987/1024 available. Then I unplugged the DAP-1320 and rebooted the SCS-26UC4 extender and waited for it to come back on line. Rechecked NAT and it was sitting at 972/1024 available.

I don't think the DAP-1320 is flooding NAT sessions on the router.

Unable to attach screen prints that verify results reported, but available upon request as a Word file.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I finally did what I should have done in the first place: got a Netgear R6100 wireless router and configured it as an access point, behind my U-verse gateway. Set it up per suggestions obtained on this forum, and migrated all Wi-Fi traffic in my house to the Netgear. Since then, the Verizon SCS-26UC4 has operated perfectly. Bye bye D-Link DAP-1320 extenders. The Netgear is placed in the same room as my gateway, but installed higher up, on a shelf. Wi-Fi coverage is much improved. Thanks for the help obtained here.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.