Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 29, 2014
1:02:42 PM
View profile
D-Link DAP-1320 wireless network extender "kills" Verizon Wireless cell phone extender (SCS-26UC4)

Has anyone experienced this problem and solved it? What was the silver bullet that did it?

My residential gateway is a 2Wire model 3800HGV-B. I also have a Verizon Wireless cell phone extender connected to an Ethernet port on the gateway. I recently added a D-Link DAP-1320 wireless network extender in an effort to improve Wi-Fi coverage at home. I've correctly configured the D-Link device and it is running current firmare. When the D-link is plugged in and active, it "kills" my SCS-26UC4 cell phone extender in about 15 minutes. The only way to get the cell phone extender back on line is to uplug the D-Link and reboot the SCS26-UC4 and leave the D-Link unplugged.

Good Wi-Fi coverage at home or (any) cell phone service at home? One shouldn't have to choose between them.

D-Link technical support has not been very helpful.

Verizon Wireless tech support theorizes that the D-Link is hosing up the VPN tunnel that the SCS-26UC4 uses to talk to the Verizon network. He suggested putting the SCS-26UC4 into a DMZ. Tried that, set it up as DMZplus on the gateway. Problem persists. What next?

Has anyone experienced this problem and solved it? What was the silver bullet that did it?

My residential gateway is a 2Wire model 3800HGV-B. I also have a Verizon Wireless cell phone extender connected to an Ethernet port on the gateway. I recently added a D-Link DAP-1320 wireless network extender in an effort to improve Wi-Fi coverage at home. I've correctly configured the D-Link device and it is running current firmare. When the D-link is plugged in and active, it "kills" my SCS-26UC4 cell phone extender in about 15 minutes. The only way to get the cell phone extender back on line is to uplug the D-Link and reboot the SCS26-UC4 and leave the D-Link unplugged.

Good Wi-Fi coverage at home or (any) cell phone service at home? One shouldn't have to choose between them.

D-Link technical support has not been very helpful.

Verizon Wireless tech support theorizes that the D-Link is hosing up the VPN tunnel that the SCS-26UC4 uses to talk to the Verizon network. He suggested putting the SCS-26UC4 into a DMZ. Tried that, set it up as DMZplus on the gateway. Problem persists. What next?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 3, 2014 3:40:10 PM
(0)
Community Support

I can only think that it may be something with the D-Link router messing with the way some packets are being routed and causing the packets meant for the SCS-26UC4 to be routed out to the D-Link instead after a certain period of time, as for some reason our router is determining that as the best possible path. If you know what IP or port the SCS-26UC4 traffic is routing on, you can try to setup a packet filter rule, or you can try to implement another router to split these 2 devices into completely different subnets. I would think the router would be the best option.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

D-Link DAP-1320 wireless network extender "kills" Verizon Wireless cell phone extender (SCS-26UC4)

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 10:04:55 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi @phb2234,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your D-Link wireless extender and Verizon Wireless Cell phone extender.

One thing to look for is to see if the D-Link wireless extender is causing any issues with overflooding the NAT sessions on the router. To check it:

1. When you notice the SCS-26UC4 lose connection, go to your computer and go to the U-verse router GUI page at http://192.168.1.254.
  2. Select the tab Settings at the top.
  3. Select the sub-tab Diagnostics
  4. Select the sub-tab NAT

From there, you will see the session table. If it is showing 0/1024 available, then something is exhausting all the connections on your router causing some devices not being able to connect online.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

Hi @phb2234,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your D-Link wireless extender and Verizon Wireless Cell phone extender.

One thing to look for is to see if the D-Link wireless extender is causing any issues with overflooding the NAT sessions on the router. To check it:

1. When you notice the SCS-26UC4 lose connection, go to your computer and go to the U-verse router GUI page at http://192.168.1.254.
  2. Select the tab Settings at the top.
  3. Select the sub-tab Diagnostics
  4. Select the sub-tab NAT

From there, you will see the session table. If it is showing 0/1024 available, then something is exhausting all the connections on your router causing some devices not being able to connect online.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Need more help?

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: D-Link DAP-1320 wireless network extender "kills" Verizon Wireless cell phone extender

2 of 5 (2,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 2:36:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your attention and suggestion.

I performed the check that you described. With the DAP-1320 unplugged and the SCS-26UC4 extender on line and functioning, NAT was sitting at 992/1024 available. I plugged in the DAP-1320, waited for it to initialize, then waited for the SCS-26UC4 extender to fail. That took around 17 minutes. I left the DAP-1320 plugged in and rechecked NAT, it was sitting at 987/1024 available. Then I unplugged the DAP-1320 and rebooted the SCS-26UC4 extender and waited for it to come back on line. Rechecked NAT and it was sitting at 972/1024 available.

I don't think the DAP-1320 is flooding NAT sessions on the router.

Unable to attach screen prints that verify results reported, but available upon request as a Word file.

Thanks for your attention and suggestion.

I performed the check that you described. With the DAP-1320 unplugged and the SCS-26UC4 extender on line and functioning, NAT was sitting at 992/1024 available. I plugged in the DAP-1320, waited for it to initialize, then waited for the SCS-26UC4 extender to fail. That took around 17 minutes. I left the DAP-1320 plugged in and rechecked NAT, it was sitting at 987/1024 available. Then I unplugged the DAP-1320 and rebooted the SCS-26UC4 extender and waited for it to come back on line. Rechecked NAT and it was sitting at 972/1024 available.

I don't think the DAP-1320 is flooding NAT sessions on the router.

Unable to attach screen prints that verify results reported, but available upon request as a Word file.

Re: D-Link DAP-1320 wireless network extender "kills" Verizon Wireless cell phone extender

3 of 5 (2,145 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 3, 2014 3:40:10 PM
(0)
Community Support

I can only think that it may be something with the D-Link router messing with the way some packets are being routed and causing the packets meant for the SCS-26UC4 to be routed out to the D-Link instead after a certain period of time, as for some reason our router is determining that as the best possible path. If you know what IP or port the SCS-26UC4 traffic is routing on, you can try to setup a packet filter rule, or you can try to implement another router to split these 2 devices into completely different subnets. I would think the router would be the best option.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Need more help?

Hope this helps.

-David T

Need more help?

4 of 5 (2,137 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 10:22:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

I finally did what I should have done in the first place: got a Netgear R6100 wireless router and configured it as an access point, behind my U-verse gateway. Set it up per suggestions obtained on this forum, and migrated all Wi-Fi traffic in my house to the Netgear. Since then, the Verizon SCS-26UC4 has operated perfectly. Bye bye D-Link DAP-1320 extenders. The Netgear is placed in the same room as my gateway, but installed higher up, on a shelf. Wi-Fi coverage is much improved. Thanks for the help obtained here.

I finally did what I should have done in the first place: got a Netgear R6100 wireless router and configured it as an access point, behind my U-verse gateway. Set it up per suggestions obtained on this forum, and migrated all Wi-Fi traffic in my house to the Netgear. Since then, the Verizon SCS-26UC4 has operated perfectly. Bye bye D-Link DAP-1320 extenders. The Netgear is placed in the same room as my gateway, but installed higher up, on a shelf. Wi-Fi coverage is much improved. Thanks for the help obtained here.

5 of 5 (2,088 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments