aquaskot8's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, December 1st, 2011 2:12 AM

Cost of an iNID plugged in to a power source yr round?

I recently switched my mom to ATT for her TV (uverse) and internet.

Today they came to install and told us that they would have to mount an outside box (iNID?) to our house and use a power source in our garage in order for it to work. Apparently we are 4000 ft away from the home office, rather than 3000? 

Because we are doing this for cost issues, my mom wanted to wait and find out how much it would cost have this plugged in yr round as it it tough times finanically for her. A box on the outside of our house isn't ideal either, but we'll deal if it's worth it.

Ran across this site. Anyone know how many watts/kWh the device the are talking about will use? I have my mom's electric bill so if I can find out the watts or amps etc I can calculate how much it will cost her for the yr. 

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@aquaskot8 wrote:

Appreciate it.

I called AT&T today and they were little help. Tech support was able to direct me to the fibersafe battery website to find the specs on the backup battery (12 V, 12 amps/hr) , but that's about it. Difficult when I'm not sure what components that make this all up.  The guy over the phone threw out a # of 400 watts for the iNID but he had no idea for certain.

The Installer said that the outside powering of the iNID is about 10 volts, and the mini-router inside is about 20 volts equally about 30 volts for everything each day 365 a yr.

Minimal but simply trying to convert everything using our electricity rate.  

Would think someone would have ask this before. I know it's not the same as plugging in a refrigerator, but is it the same as a lamp? No big deal if $ wasn't a concern for my mom.

Thanks again!

Just go and look at the device the tech plugged in it will have the power requirements printed right on it. It will have input voltage and amperage, and the output voltage and amperage. It will probably be around 1 - 1.5 amps input, which would equate 120 - 180 watts. Those numbers would be the maximum it would draw. 

You could get something like this to verify the numbers over a period of days toget a better idea. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202196388&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202196388&ci_kw={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202196388&ci_gpa=pla&locStoreNum=1919

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

Just go and look at the device the tech plugged in it will have the power requirements printed right on it. It will have input voltage and amperage, and the output voltage and amperage. It will probably be around 1 - 1.5 amps input, which would equate 120 - 180 watts. Those numbers would be the maximum it would draw. 

That's the maximum output power of the power supply, but anything near that amount is only used when charging the backup battery.  The steady-state power draw is way less than that.

I'm nearly 99% confident that the monthly electricity cost for the iNID is in the sub-$1 range.  You'll spend more for the DVR and STB units (about $1.50 each per month).

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Do not know how much it costs to run, but it is the same function as an inside RG.
Under 3000 feet the equipment is a passive NID outside and an active Remote Gateway inside.
Over 3000 feet uses two cable pairs (pair bonding) requires an active INID & an inside router component.

Same function - 1 box vs. 2 boxes

Any difference in electrical consumption should be unnoticeable.

Guru

• 

650 Messages

12 years ago

Couldn't find anything dealing directly with iNID power consumption, so did a check on something comparable: Verizon's ONT for FiOS. The consensus there, from reputable sources, leads to a conclusion of about $1 per month to power FiOS' ONT. Even though this is not a true equal comparison, it's as close as we can come.

So around $1 per month wouldn't seem IMHO to be out of the question for powering AT&T's iNID. As aviewer said, unnoticeable or negligable.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks.

I assumed it would be like plugging in a lamp, but that it was 24 hrs a day / yr round, we wanted to inquire.

May call the installer again to see if he can tell me the wattage etc so I can calculate it, but I'm sure you are right that it in negliable.

Simply was second guessing whether switcihing over from Time Warner was worth it due to installing another box to the outside of house and taking up a plug in the garage year round. Plus, do not want to overload the breakers.

Thanks though! 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

I don't believe anyone has measured power consumption on the iNID, but it's functionality is equivalent to the 2Wire 3800HGV-B unit, which has been measured at 9 watts.

Over a month, this is 6.5 kWh, or about 75 cents per month at average electricity rates (I used 12 cents/kWh).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Appreciate it.

I called AT&T today and they were little help. Tech support was able to direct me to the fibersafe battery website to find the specs on the backup battery (12 V, 12 amps/hr) , but that's about it. Difficult when I'm not sure what components that make this all up.  The guy over the phone threw out a # of 400 watts for the iNID but he had no idea for certain.

The Installer said that the outside powering of the iNID is about 10 volts, and the mini-router inside is about 20 volts equally about 30 volts for everything each day 365 a yr.

Minimal but simply trying to convert everything using our electricity rate.  

Would think someone would have ask this before. I know it's not the same as plugging in a refrigerator, but is it the same as a lamp? No big deal if $ wasn't a concern for my mom.

Thanks again!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

aquaskot8 - Are you deciding whether or not to get u-verse based on possible costs measured in pennies a month?

I read your original question to be the difference between a "normal" installation and an INID installation.

Two people said it is the same electronics configured differently & you are still looking for accurate numbers.

Boggles my mind.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Is Hallmark channel important to your mother? Do you know that U-verse does not have Hallmark channel?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

That's the maximum output power of the power supply, but anything near that amount is only used when charging the backup battery.  The steady-state power draw is way less than that.

I'm nearly 99% confident that the monthly electricity cost for the iNID is in the sub-$1 range.  You'll spend more for the DVR and STB units (about $1.50 each per month).

Understood. I guess I was a little too brief.

That's why I suggested the meter for accurate measurement, which, by the way, can also be used on any devices in the home to determine their energy consumption, and possibly see if usage can be saved elswhere.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.